Howdy from Illawarra

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy from Illawarra

Postby madjaffa » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

Jaffa here, been playing around with homebrewing since ~2016, and started still'n on the little airstill. Super disappointed in the yeasty taste of the turbo stuff and played about with a TPW with that kit as well which helped a fair bit, then got a bit over the essences.

The brewzilla was a fun addition to the beer brewing side of things and works pretty well, happy with the stouts and amber ales I've mostly been doing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Currently have an alcoengine (kegland) potstill that works well enough to plod along with the hobby. So far tried a Rye whiskey, but I think I need to up my wash %. Then had a go at buccaneer bobs recipe for rum which wasn't too bad, but need to do more stripping runs before getting excited and doing a spirit run, as the last batch definitely tasted like I mixed one too many jars of heads into it to buff out the yield . The rum essence (from dunder? /leftover wash) smells amazing, though I made the mistake of adding butter to the still and it took me forever to work out what was floating in it.

Interested in grabbing a reflux still, was considering another alcoengine (reflux 2") but it seems like the common theme is that I'll wanna upgrade. My thought process was this might work with an extension tube to improve the height that might help with how slow they can be + was thinking stripping runs on the potstill. The reason is aside from whiskey and rum, the misses and I are quite partial to a good Gin, and wanted to play around with that side of things to have stuff to drink while other things are sitting on oak.

Have toyed with the idea of building one, but not too sure where to start, and haven't really done any copper soldering before...

Anyways, cheers peeps

Jaffa
madjaffa
Site Donor

equipment: CCVM 2"
Liebig condenser (~950mm 3/4" over 1/2")
Brewzilla 65L (2000w & 1000w & 500w switches + voltage controller)
Heavy duty SS lid. 2" fitting (SG, PV, thermo)
DIY copper SPP (~900mm)

Re: Howdy from Illawarra

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:18 pm

G'Day Jaffa,
Mate where you are from is my old stamping ground :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now if cheap copper isn't on hand have a look at the shop and one can start on a small budget and grow with the right choices :handgestures-thumbupleft: Buying 5 star gear is tried and tested from so many members so give Andrew a call and the rest should be history. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby madjaffa » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:31 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Jaffa,
Mate where you are from is my old stamping ground :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now if cheap copper isn't on hand...

Cheers Bryan

Haven't really looked too hard yet, what is considered cheap :)) . Did you ever look into buying any copper around here, kind of interested in trying a 2" CCVM build, and do modular parts that could be upgraded/buffed out with 5Star equipment down the track. My uncle also has some 4" pipe from a renovation that he's held on to, can't remember how long ~.7-1m, I think, but might be too big for initial build. For the first build I'm thinking that 2" is a nice starting size that could strap onto the brewzilla SS lid (with 5S adaptor) and might be easier to start with before going down the rabbit hole of also buying a keg and installing E element or going gas...

Not really fussed about mats regarding Copper or SS 304/316

There seems to be some cheap exhaust pipe floating about on aus fleabay that has 304 rating, but doesn't look polished like the food grade stuff - correct me if I'm wrong - but reading around on here it seems like those won't be suitable for the column as they are used for different purposes.
:handgestures-thumbdown:

Or there is other stuff like:

Stainless Steel Welded Round Tube Grade 316 O.D. (2") 50.8mm x 1.6mm Wall x 1mtr
But the photos don't really indicate if the inside has mirror polish which also prob isn't good.

Jaffa
madjaffa
Site Donor

DIY copper SPP (~900mm)

Postby howard » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:51 pm

welcome jaffa.
imho you would be better off keeping the brewzilla and think about getting a decent 2" SS modular still for it.
brewzilla has a lot of pros for me.
easy to clean, temp control for mashes, low density concealed elements, pump etc
i even mash corn in there, using the recirculating arm (using enzymes)
if it's fitted with a 5-star power controller it seems to be a good match for 2".
i've done 4l gin runs in it, although i now have a separate small gin still.
mine is similar to the 5-star 2" pot still, but with a reflux condensor and extra column height.

i see you've already fallen into the trap of 'buffing out the yield' :smile:
not worth it.
btw have you got a power controller fitted?
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby madjaffa » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:34 pm

howard wrote:welcome jaffa.
imho you would be better off keeping the brewzilla and think about getting a decent 2" SS modular still for it.
brewzilla has a lot of pros for me.
easy to clean, temp control for mashes, low density concealed elements, pump etc
i even mash corn in there, using the recirculating arm (using enzymes)
if it's fitted with a 5-star power controller it seems to be a good match for 2".
i've done 4l gin runs in it, although i now have a separate small gin still.
mine is similar to the 5-star 2" pot still, but with a reflux condensor and extra column height.

i see you've already fallen into the trap of 'buffing out the yield' :smile:
not worth it.
btw have you got a power controller fitted?

Kind of I've been using the KL07504 gen one output voltage controller plugged into the brewzilla during spirit run and it takes the edge off enough (before the screen dims) to get a reduced flow rate to drips then can bring it up to a toothpick. Been meaning to get my uncle or neighbor (sparkies) to have a look at it, and put the elements on a separate power cord and reduce the risk of the panel getting damaged, but so far so been ok.

:text-+1: for ease of cleanup though!

I think at some point a keg boiler will prob be the go, to have a dedicated one for stillin and one for brewing :laughing-rolling:

What 2" modular setup are you using/recommending as it sounds like we might have similar bits and bobs, something like a keggomax or a 5star build?

:text-thankyoublue:

madjaffa
Site Donor

DIY copper SPP (~900mm)

Return to Welcome Centre