Greetings From Tasmania

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings From Tasmania

Postby Duckriverduck » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:13 pm

Greetings from the NW Coast of Tasmania.
I will be 71 this year and started making my own spirits with a simple air sitil by Still Spirits which I still have over a year ago. I used to buy buy my neutral spirits from a mate when I was into fortified wines. My source of supply vanished to Qld and I was left with no other choice. Since then I progressed to a humble reflux still locally made which I upgraded with a sight glass. I did look at a T500 but decided it was too temperamental.

I mainly do sugar washes and still play with fortified wines and the occasional liquor . I mainly now use the air still for Gin runs of which I am also fond off and have a gin basket for it. I do have a pot still from the same manufacturer as my reflux still, however using it once for a Gin run with its Gin basket did not like it.
Well that is enough about me.
Happy distilling everyone :greetings-waveyellow:
The Duck River Duck.
Duckriverduck
Site Donor

equipment: Pure Distilling Spirit Maker Reflux Still, a pot still by the same manufacturer and a Still Spirits Air Still. 2x30 litre fermenters and a self made carbon filtering system.

Re: Greetings From Tasmania

Postby The Stig » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:36 pm

Thank Ducky , and thanks for the hand out helping keep the forum alive.
I’m not a big fan of Facebook and still believe that forums such as this have a life and sometimes a life if their own .
You will find a few fellow Tas members here as well as a few Vape people.
Enjoy the ride , and ask questions and most of all have fun.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bob9863 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:37 pm

Welcome, pot stills can be a touch finicky to get running nicely, but once you have it worked out then it's easy to use, it's, just finding that sweet spot that can catch you out for a bit.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby Duckriverduck » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:22 pm

Bob9863 wrote:Welcome, pot stills can be a touch finicky to get running nicely, but once you have it worked out then it's easy to use, it's, just finding that sweet spot that can catch you out for a bit.

Hi Bob,
Yes, well, I have no issues using the Still Spirits Air still for small Gin Runs. However when I tried using the Pot Still mentioned in my profile I did not like it.
It is sitting in the cupboard now being ignored. I also got a pot still gifted to me with a thumper brand new. Made in China. I took one look at that thing and left it in its box unassembled. I am a believer "Keep it simple stupid" and that is me a stupid old duck with occasional memory loss.
Duckriverduck
Site Donor

equipment: Pure Distilling Spirit Maker Reflux Still, a pot still by the same manufacturer and a Still Spirits Air Still. 2x30 litre fermenters and a self made carbon filtering system.

Postby Duckriverduck » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:32 pm

The Stig wrote:Thank Ducky , and thanks for the hand out helping keep the forum alive.
I’m not a big fan of Facebook and still believe that forums such as this have a life and sometimes a life if their own .
You will find a few fellow Tas members here as well as a few Vape people.
Enjoy the ride , and ask questions and most of all have fun.
Cheers

Thank you Stig,
Yes well a lot of our vape forums died, simply because of all the flame wars between various to put it politely knows all and know nothing.
Facebook was useless for advertising or selling any vape stuff. They banned adverts as Tobacco products. :angry-banghead:
I am surprised we can advertise and sell stills on FB and talk about them.
I really enjoyed the days of Forums especially in this format and it took me little time to edit my profile and get the hang of posting here.
I already got some excellent replies re my question on Whey vodka and yeast.
Regards
Duck River Duck.
Duckriverduck
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:24 pm

Notice the word “friendly” in the banner ?
We don’t suffer Facebook fools here :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bob9863 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:34 pm

What pot still do you have?
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby Duckriverduck » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:18 am

Bob9863 wrote:What pot still do you have?

Hi Bob,
An Air Still from Still Spirits, also a Pot Still Aussie Made from Pure Distilling made local in Tasmania as well as a Velor which I have not used and its up for sale.
Cheers
Duck River Duck.
Duckriverduck
Site Donor

Postby Duckriverduck » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:22 am

The Stig wrote:Notice the word “friendly” in the banner ?
We don’t suffer Facebook fools here :laughing-rolling:

Hi Stig,
I know the feeling well I have blocked quite a few.
Especially the scammers that send messages to my website.
I did not advertise it here as it has nothing to do with distilling and was not sure the link would be allowed.
Best Wishes
Duck River Duck. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Duckriverduck
Site Donor

Postby Bob9863 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:21 pm

Duckriverduck wrote:
Bob9863 wrote:What pot still do you have?

Hi Bob,
An Air Still from Still Spirits, also a Pot Still Aussie Made from Pure Distilling made local in Tasmania as well as a Velor which I have not used and its up for sale.
Cheers
Duck River Duck.

Ah so it's like an Alcoengine then, they work great but need a power controller of some sort to slow things down.
You can make some good runs on it and it will work a lot better then an air still, get a power controller for around $50 and try it again, or upgrade the boiler to one that's got it already installed.
That will do things a lot better then an air still, although those things sure are easy to use.
Bob9863

5lt copper pot still

Postby daveskis » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:42 am

Same set up as mine. Alcoengine but with the addition of a Copper Dome Pot and Gin Basket. 35 Lit Digi Boiler. Same I looked at the T500. Face Book had so much promise 10 yrs ago which was the last time I used it.
daveskis

equipment: T500 Still

Return to Welcome Centre