Hellow from a newbie.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hellow from a newbie.

Postby Swagin along. » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:10 pm

Hello and thanyou for accepting my application to joint this very informative forum.I live in the Victorian central goldfields region.I have a home built Kentucky pot still and thumper (I will try to add a photo)Since i started distilling in the last 3 months I have made a sugar shine a pear brandy and a mollases rum, I'm sure they will get a whole lot better with time and practice.I look forwad to participating, asking questions and putting forward for discussion some different alternative ideas i have for brewing.
Thank you again, kind regards Ron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swagin along.

equipment: Home built kentucky pot still and thumper.

Re: Hellow from a newbie.

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:40 pm

Welcome swaggin
I am in central vic as well mate.. ask your questions lots of smart people here who will be able to help.
I myself just like to look at the pretty pictures
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:05 pm

Welcome.
Wondering what size is boiler and thumper. How big is pipe going in and out of thumper?
Also why the coil at top of condenser?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Swagin along. » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:15 pm

Hello Welsy thank you for you offer and i will take you up on thatwhen i require advise.
Regards Ron.
Swagin along.

Postby Swagin along. » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Hello Bluc. 22 litre,(5 gallon) pot with about 8 litre thumper.3/4 inch in annd 1/2 inch out, i didnt have any plans for the thumper and used a 1/2 inch condenser pipe, when i made the coil i had a few coils left over so i put them on top because i thought it looked the part. I then modified it and put 3/4 inch out of the thumper and removed the top coils, did a run and got huffing and purging out of the spout, so i went back to original design put my last run through and only experieced slight huffing. Hard to get temps constant as its on a old wood stove i have out the back veranda, so the huffing could have been caused by it running hotter on that run.
Regards Ron.
Swagin along.

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:31 pm

Pretty cool i would have persevered with 3/4 especially if running solids in thumper.

If you run your pc slightly hotter it can help with huffing. I have a 4" bubbler the pc is only 300mm long with 5 x3/4" internals. I have to choke the cooling water a tiny bit or it huffs like a train.
Is that a flour paste seal prob not ideal.
Like your build though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Swagin along. » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:46 pm

Bluc thanks for the advice, as the thumper has only3/4 entrance i will be only putting in liquid or aromatics that have been sieved through cheese cloth, i originally used flour past , which was from a Lauke rye sourdough bread kit, set hard but difficult to clean up after run, last run i wrapped plumbers thread tape around joint and then streached silicone tape over that, worked a treat.
I built the setup to look like it was a barn find from the appalasian mountains, as it is now part of the decor in the back porch.
Regards Ron.
Swagin along.

Return to Welcome Centre