Hi Jumping into the rabbit hole

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi Jumping into the rabbit hole

Postby Nodpharm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:41 pm

Living up on the QLD central coast. Have dreams of making a semi decent rum and some neutral spirit, mainly for a Gin base. Have a background in beer. Started with the kit and kilo and slowly migrated to partial grain. Haven’t brewed in quite some time but just starting to get back into it. Looking to move into all grain so eyeing off the 65ltr Brewzilla Gen 4 or 3. Haven’t decided yet. Bank balance may make that decision for me.
Inherited most of my father’s distilling gear a couple of years ago. Simple boiler 35ltr, a couple of super reflux stills, demijohns and assorted fermenter's. Also, some neutral that was made close on 23 years ago. Have very quickly found out the super reflux are not ideal for what I am chasing, and parts are an issue. I have purchased a cheap reflux column. Also brought some other copper parts to extend the column and convert it into more of a pot still as needed. My first attempt at making a wash (TPW) should go ahead this weekend. Have been reading through quite a few threads, so now know enough screw things up royally. Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.
Cheers
Nodpharm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nodpharm

equipment: 2 x super reflux (inherited)
1 x CM Column (Ali Express)
65lt Digiboil Unmodified
35lt boiler old paint tin style
2 x S/S filters

Re: Hi Jumping into the rabbit hole

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 pm

G'Day Nod,
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole mate and man you just have to make a start with the copper :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: then there's no return or hope left :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:18 pm

Can I say , please please stay away from the 65L brewzilla.
It’s very much a compromise and will never be “perfect” for whatever still you have.
Anyway , welcome and enjoy your stay.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Nodpharm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:34 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Nod,
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole mate and man you just have to make a start with the copper :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: then there's no return or hope left :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

$1265 for a 6 meter length of 3 inch copper up here so it was a no on a full copper system. This way I can add a bit at a time and the financial controller may not notice. No dear it isn't new Stainless always turns a coppery colour once used a couple of times. ;-)
Cheers
Nodpharm

65lt Digiboil Unmodified
2 x S/S filters

Postby Nodpharm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:39 pm

The Stig wrote:Can I say , please please stay away from the 65L brewzilla.
It’s very much a compromise and will never be “perfect” for whatever still you have.
Anyway , welcome and enjoy your stay.
Cheers

Hi Stig
I was mainly looking at the Brewzilla for the mashing side of things, both beer and spirits. Using it as a boiler was just a bonus. I see I have more research to do already.
Cheers
Nodpharm

65lt Digiboil Unmodified
2 x S/S filters

Postby The Stig » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:43 pm

Nodpharm wrote:
The Stig wrote:I was mainly looking at the Brewzilla for the mashing side of things, both beer and spirits. Using it as a boiler was just a bonus. I see I have more research to do already.
Cheers

That’s great if that’s all you want to do with it , as long as you know the limitations.
I’m always getting calls from people who wish they had never bought them.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby howard » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:03 am

The Stig wrote:
Nodpharm wrote:
The Stig wrote:I was mainly looking at the Brewzilla for the mashing side of things, both beer and spirits. Using it as a boiler was just a bonus. I see I have more research to do already.
Cheers

That’s great if that’s all you want to do with it , as long as you know the limitations.
I’m always getting calls from people who wish they had never bought them.
Cheers

could you elaborate on that please.
are you comparing the zilla to other all-in-ones like the grainfather etc or as a distilling/brewing apparatus in general?
or are the calls you're always getting from people who don't really know how to operate/modify them.
just askin like
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:37 am

Prob cause they are not an ideal still boiler. Because of temp controllers built in..the 100l upcoming one looks interesting for mashing though..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby howard » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:31 am

bluc wrote:Prob cause they are not an ideal still boiler. Because of temp controllers built in..the 100l upcoming one looks interesting for mashing though..

that's why i said 'modified'
the main element on mine goes to a 2-way switch, which enables me to use the element through the normal brewzilla controller or flick it over to a secondary power lead that i plug into my power controller for spirit runs.
the onboard temp control and concealed elements are great for holding temps for glucan rest, sach rests, corn gels etc.
it's also great for mashing, good efficiency with false bottom, mash pipe and pump with recirc arm.
what's the other problem from all these callers?
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby The Stig » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:46 am

howard wrote:
bluc wrote: for glucan rest, sach rests, corn gels etc.
it's also great for mashing, good efficiency with false bottom, mash pipe and pump with recirc arm.
that’s what they are designed to do , hold a temp and step etc .
Without modification they aren’t ideal for distilling .
That’s what people complain about, they are sold these boilers as a distilling vessel and they can’t get them to work.
I’m left to explain why they don’t work so well and that they need to be modded but a lot of people just don’t want to mess with electronics etc .
If your ok doing the mods that’s fine but I always getting calls from people who aren’t and they are looking for something that will do the job correctly
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby howard » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:47 pm

The Stig wrote:
howard wrote:
bluc wrote: for glucan rest, sach rests, corn gels etc.
that’s what they are designed to do , hold a temp and step etc .
Without modification they aren’t ideal for distilling .
That’s what people complain about, they are sold these boilers as a distilling vessel and they can’t get them to work.
I’m left to explain why they don’t work so well and that they need to be modded but a lot of people just don’t want to mess with electronics etc .
If your ok doing the mods that’s fine but I always getting calls from people who aren’t and they are looking for something that will do the job correctly

right, i'll bet it's frustrating trying to explain the power/take-off/temp control needed in distilling.
it took a few runs, after buying a 2" CM, before the penny dropped about power control. :doh:
i modded myself it about 2 years ago and it's been a great since.
i would recommend the mod by a licenced electrician to anyone, shouldn't take more than an hour.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Return to Welcome Centre