Hi

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi

Postby cereal_killer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Stumbled across this place doing a google search for stainless kegs in Sydney, and have to give props to the community you have got going on here... most hobby forums I been member of are more cock size competition than substance (never bodes well for me as Im hung like a bull ant), but this place seems to have have its head screwed on straight...

Anyway, havent got any kit together of yet, done alot of hours on HD trying to get my head around it all, and am at the stage of acquiring parts for my first build. Being afflicted with all but debilitating procrastination in conjunction with an extreme case of being an over-engineerer, my head has almost exploded several times trying to find gear that I am after, or altering design to suit the similar parts I can find.... most interweb sessions ending with me rocking back and forth in the foetal position. Bit embarrassed to say it, but I was almost pitching a pants tent, finding a forum of skippy distillers that may possibly help with local leads to gear...

Im not sure if thats much of an intro... but its the best that I have got, lol...

See you around the traps,
Cereal Killer
cereal_killer

equipment: none yet.....

Hi

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Welcome and good luck on your journey, this place is an oasis of knowledge and helpfulness.

Someone asked me if this hobby is about saving money...oh how I laughed!

I spend a shitload on gear, ingredients and that doesn't take into consideration my time and effort - BUT the joy of making my own quality spirits (and before this hobby beers) and seeing people's reaction is worth every second and every cent.

Enjoy your impending acquisition disorder ;-)

Cheers!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Hi

Postby Frank » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Welcome Mr Killer
in terms of making the right still for your needs...take you time and keep your pants on. ;-)
BTW, all your questions will be answered...unless they aren't of course.
Frank

Postby bt1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Welcome bloke,

entertaining intro with sufficient okerisms to keep all happy...wd

To equipment...let's reverse it a bit and perhaps you tell us your 4 fav drinks you want to make and I'm dam surebetween us we'll come up with a recomendation, bill of mtls build order and design that suits.

Why stress...that's what we're here for!

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Nice intro CK,

Welcome aboard :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi CK,
Welcome aboard mate, I thought your username was a classic but your avitar takes the cake :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Just like you, I stumbled upon this forum & haven't been the same since :)) :)) :))
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:52 pm

G'day Killer,
welcome to the forum mate, Love the intro :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Brendan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:28 pm

G'day CK,

Welcome to AD.

And your avatar ain't pullin no bull ant :-D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby cereal_killer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:02 am

Thanks for the warm welcome...

Seeing as this is the intro section, I will leave my questions about my build for threads appropriate places in the forum, though I again thankyou all for the support you are already showing, and I wont be shy about asking them either, lol...

As for what I am hoping to produce... honestly, I hope to become a pot stilling ninja, pumping out top-shelf full grain runs of Scotch and Irish Whiskey, though the reality is I need to get in on the ground floor and cut my teeth. The plan for now is a pot still head on and electric keg, then a boka build to spirit run my early strips for a neutral. Already have all of my fermenting gear, and a fair chunk of the copper. Have a pack of turbo just to watch a ferment happen and use for a sacrificial cleaning run, and plan on running birdwatchers recipie from then out until I get a hang of my gear... So a long road until I can get into the all grain, I have been reading up about it, but it may as well be written in Hebrew because I have no idea what so ever what all that jibberish is about, but there is plenty of time to get my head around it.

Im really looking at it as a hobby, I want all the experiences, the builds, the noob turbo even if it is to only compare to the cleaner birdwatcher runs... sort of the journey of it all...

Brendan wrote:And your avatar ain't pullin no bull ant :-D

you have a filthy mind my friend... gifs are short repeating movies.... the full length version shows me taking my roll in a game of backgammon...

Thanks again for rolling out the red carpet...
Cereal Killer
cereal_killer

equipment: none yet.....

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:02 am

Welcome, a blunter man would have used this Gif..

bigdeal.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SCBandit » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:03 am

Hi CK,

I am fairly new to distilling as well I have found both this website and the people extremely knowedgeable and helpful.

As a suggestion for your first couple of washes try TPW ( Tomato paste wash) or the All bran recipe found in tried and proven both are easy with very good results.

Cheers,

SC BANDIT :D :text-coolphotos:
SCBandit

equipment: Air still, reflux Still

Postby bt1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Bloke,

Single run promotion about to start...be warned!

Build a hybrid pot head it does the lot..but caution single runs may be on the horizon..pity you'll save shit loads on power/gas and get the more robust flavours and less hassle.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Welcome Centre