Heyo!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Heyo!

Postby Bustah » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:14 am

Hey all! I’m Syd based, just about to dive into this hobby after seeing how absurdly expensive purchasing 95% is to make some limoncello..

Apart from a few bottles of the limoncello (probably some for Christmas presents) Looking to make very small batches of gin to start with (like 1 bottle at a time small) My wife and I aren’t massive drinkers, cocktails on a Friday night and occasionally again over the weekend. We drink tequila, vodka, gin, rum, bourbon and liquers. More clear spirits then anything else.

The choice of still is really doing my head in, for small batch and easy to get into (plus easy tear down for storage) I think i settled on the t500, but then seeing that the smallest batch of gin i could get away with was a few liters and needs the alembic, i keep second guessing myself and switch to the air still pro.. i know it doesn't produce as clean and takes ages to run but being able to do a single bottle in a run with whatever botanicals seems great plus not needing to buy any other attachments..

Basically… help? ~x(
Bustah
Site Donor

equipment: Planning on purchasing a t500 boiler, 5Star 2" boka and pot

Re: Heyo!

Postby The Stig » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:19 am

Welcome to the rabbit hole.
A T500 boiler will allow you to have as little as 1L in there .
You could also look at the 5 Star Boka and Pot Head on a turbo boiler , much better equipment
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bustah » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:49 am

Thanks Stig! That’s good to know! So i should be able to just do a single bottle of gin in the t500? Is it the 2” boka under the modular page?
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:09 am

The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:16 pm

Welcome Bustah
You could always just drink more as that is easier lol.
Give 5star a call mate, so much easier talking to someone and I can promise you there will be no pressure. Just honest advice and suggestions. 5 star gear is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. No matter what you are looking at don’t forget to think about the water cooling options as this is often over looked.
Read and re read mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:28 am

Hi Bustah
I have a 5 star 2" boka and pot. The still packs down into a small space when not in use. I have a thread on the reflux stills page which will tell you all about it.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12638

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Bustah » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:23 am

Wellsy wrote:Welcome Bustah
You could always just drink more as that is easier lol.

:obscene-drinkingdrunk: What's the worst that could happen?! :-D

Thank you so much for the info guys! Carol i've gone through your thread a few times and it's been super helpful. Does the 5Star gear come with any setup/running instructions? My main concern is the water source, i've checked all of our taps in the bathroom where i was wanting to set up but there's nothing with threads that i can attach to. I did happen to pick up a water pump the other day to empty our spa (the same ozito one in your post i think) Is it ok to just fill up the bath tub and the pump through that? Or i could possibly set it up in the shower (or get a longer hose) as the hand held part has some thread i can work with.

For a complete beginner, apart from the t500 boiler, 2" boka, pot and the copper mesh, Is there anything else i'll need for the still side of things? is a power controller necessary?

Just a bit more research and i'll probably call into 5Star for any outstanding questions :D

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate it
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:19 am

There is no instruction manual per se but my thread should have most of the info on it. I managed to work it out . It is not too difficult . I kept notes of what I was doing and the results so I could go back to those.
The bath might work - try it with a stripping run and see how it goes. You can always add more cold water if it gets too warm. Or freeze some bottles of water and add them to the bathwater to cool it down. A power controller is useful for the spirit run as you can control the temperature of the boil better - a gentle burble rather than a raging boil once it gets to temperature.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Wellsy » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:37 pm

If you are running a submersible pump you might want to get a valve for one side as the pump will drain the bath in a matter of minutes and my understanding of the boka, or any other reflux still is it can be a very slow process.
Depending how much the spa holds that may be a better option.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:41 pm

Good pont Wellsy. I had a double outlet on mine when it was in the pool, one to the boka and one angled to the top of the pool for a visual reminder tht it was working (ripples).
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Bustah » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:40 pm

Eeexcellent, i think i've nearly got my checklist complete. Is there anything glaringly obvious that i'm missing below?

I'm finding it hard to grab a t500 in Sydney to pick up, they're either out of stock or ridiculous shipping. If i go for the digiboil 35L, will i still be able to do small batches (1 litre-ish) like the t500? Will i need an adapter to fit the 5S 2" boka and pot?

from 5Star
    5SD boka
    5SD pot
    1kg copper mesh
    power controller
    alcometer
    hydrometer

local source
    t500 boiler
    30L plastic fermenter with tap, airlock, grommet and thermometer
    5L measuring jug
    50cm spoon
    mangrove jacks no rinse sanitiser
    plastic test tube
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:40 pm

I run mine in a spa , 350W ozito , about 10m to the still and back .
I don’t run a double outlet air anything like that
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:42 pm

You will need a turbo lid adapter
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bustah » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:28 pm

The Stig wrote:I run mine in a spa , 350W ozito , about 10m to the still and back .
I don’t run a double outlet air anything like that

Real talk though, I keep my spa at 36, that's probably going to be an issue right? :D
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:30 pm

I keep mine at 20
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:33 pm

Swap the plastic test tube for a glass one
Wellsy

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Good idea Wellsy. Try ebay or Ali Express for graduated columns. I have 100, 200 and 500ml glass columns.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Bustah » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:06 pm

Oh good catch, thanks Wellsy! Complete brain fart that I’d be testing 90+% in the tube! All glass everythaaaang. Also reminded me to get a bunch of mason jars for collection and a 5L glass demi for holding all the neutral. You guys are great, seems like I’ll have a decent collection of limoncello for Christmas presents this year! :happy-partydance:
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:14 pm

You don't need mason jars (exxy). I use vegemite jars for my spirit run. Other people use recycled jars (pasta etc) or stubbies. I use large recycled glass juice bottles (1.5l) and flagons (2l) for low wines (from the stripping runs). ( I run three Coopers beer fermenters - three X stripping runs =1 spirit run. I changed over to these when I started to have trouble unscrewing the lids of the other tyoe).
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:19 pm

I use recyled spirit bottles for neutral ( I like Chivas Regal because of the screw tops - luckily my nephew drank a lot of this). I dont mix the neutral in one large container. I usually put 600ml of 90% neutral in my recyled bottle and add a label (stuck on with milk - easy to get off). Label has date of run but also details of how many jars I had and which jars are in this bottle). read about cuts in the newbies section and you will see why I do this. I use hearts for gin and the OK stuff for things like fruit liqueurs and Baileys where there are other flavours in play.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Next

Return to Welcome Centre