G'day all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day all

Postby avago » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Had a go at brewing beer quit a few years ago, it was a good drop but the job I had at the time kept me pretty busy and I just couldn’t keep up. Now I’m retired I decided to avago at makin some whisky.
I got onto a second-hand pot still the other day, it’s just a cheap Chinese lookin thing but it’ll be ok to start with. (I managed to get it past the minister for war and finance.) I reckon I’ll avago at a few sugar washers first, till I learn a bit about it, (this forum is a great sauce of knowledge and blokes on utube make it look easy.) What can go wrong? :)) Then I’ll avago at malted barley and the like.
Cheers Avago.
avago

equipment: none yet

Re: G'day all

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:04 am

Welcome to the forum mate
The first thing you really need to do is make stuff the minister of finance enjoys :)
Unfortunately the biggest hassle with this hobby is waiting for nature to do its job with oak. Unfortunately you can’t believe everything you see on YouTube. Have a good read through the newbie section as there is heaps of info there. We have all been where you are mate so don’t be afraid to ask questions:)
Do you know what sort of still you have (reflux or pot ) as that can make a big difference to what you can produce well
Enjoy the journey and my bet is you will soon be wondering how you ever had time to work lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:42 pm

Welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Eh if you want to get into making whisky mate take a look at my thread where I document my AG travels :handgestures-thumbupleft: The malting is the fun part where once the grains need to be dried and quickly to stop growth was a fun task at fist then picking the right season where my hot box did the job nicely :teasing-neener:

As you would know with mashing well thats the easy part where one just preheats some water and dump the grains so they do their magic and picking the right yeast for the ferment is important to running the wash thru the still.

Then the waiting comes into play so after all that hard work to this stage the ol' saying in this game "Just hurry up and wait" does apply so that purfect drop can be had when the time is right. :obscene-drinkingchug:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby avago » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.
I’ve been learning a lot in this forum,,. (The first thing you really need to do is make stuff the minister of finance enjoys) is probably the best advice I’ve had in a long time, I’ll get onto that.
Yeah, it’s a pot still. I run some water through it today and got some distilled water out of it, that went ok. (Never had anything to do with a still before, so gota be happy with that.)
Haven’t found your AV travels yet but I’ll do a couple of sugar washes first to get the hang of it. I’m reading different yeast’s give different flavours, its all a big learning curve for me.
Cheers
avago

equipment: none yet

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:12 pm

It is very much a rabbit warren you have taken a dive into mate.
The strength of a pot still is it does not strip out flavour. Therefore you will struggle making a true neutral, you will be able to make some great flavoured drinks though, gin,whiskey,bourbon,vodka.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre