Hey from Brissy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey from Brissy

Postby Aecos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey guys,

Very new to all this but finding it fun so far. I have, for better or worse, an SS Air Still with a 35Ltr fermenter. Currently i am fermenting my first wash, following directions from the kit: 8kg of caster sugar, dissolved in warm water, topped up to 25Ltr and mixed with Turbo Yeast after the water temp hits 26 Deg Celc. it will be ready this Wednesday coming but i think i will use the first distillation as a practice run to get used to the system and the smell, taste and feel of the different cuts. I also intend to buy a second fermenter tomorrow and make a basic rum.

Very glad to find an Aussie forum for this. Thank you all for your posts and information, and thank you (SHHHHH! :lol: ) for the heads up on telling me about the site.

Cheers.
Aecos

Re: Hey from Brissy

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Welcome Aecos,

Glad you found your way over, quite a few brizvegas locals on here willing to help you keep on track ;)

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Welcome to the forum, there are alot of us from Brisbane and surrounds :)
reknaw

Postby QLD.Andy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:13 am

Yep, from Bris here as well.
I also started with an air still but soon learned that I needed a bigger one.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi Aecos 'I've got a SS Airstill and a 30l fermenter (formerly for turbo yeast / sugar wash, next with TPW), I 'used to' live in the fine city of BrisFrancisco, and started about 2 months (?) ago on this epic distilling journey. Good luck, enjoy and feel free to ask the fine forum folk (including me 8-)) anything.its a good place to be...
Frank

Postby Aecos » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Guys. One question, can the TPW be used with the airstill effectively? I was worried the Airstill had to use the sugar wash with the turbo yeast and turbo clear to keep a very clean wash or you would get a lot of bad tastes/flavours in the distillate? Different brew shops are giving me different answers.

I have already decided that my next still will be a pot still made from an old beer keg running on a gas element and a Bbq gas bottle. Has anyone made/used something like this?
Aecos

Postby SBB » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Aecos
Welcome to the forum
From what Ive learnt in my short time playing around with stills I think you will get a much better tasting and smelling product from using a TPW but your yield will be slightly less. Ive run a few through my still now and wouldnt go back to turbos for any reason.
Cheers SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Aecos wrote:Thanks Guys. One question, can the TPW be used with the airstill effectively? I was worried the Airstill had to use the sugar wash with the turbo yeast and turbo clear to keep a very clean wash or you would get a lot of bad tastes/flavours in the distillate? Different brew shops are giving me different answers.

I have already decided that my next still will be a pot still made from an old beer keg running on a gas element and a Bbq gas bottle. Has anyone made/used something like this?

Your going to get much better results using TPW

All my stills run on LPG heated kegs, what type of pot still you planning on putting on it?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SpudGun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Guys,
Great site...good to see a site like this in Oz
Im Brisbane southside, currently using a "de tuned " Essencia 25L Still for Corn Whiskey and other different mashs.
Trying to get away from the Turbo Yeast and sugar...will still use them for a quick and easy spirit run.
Hopeing to learn more and contribute to this site...
Cheers
SpudGun

Postby reknaw » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:51 am

Hey Spud,

How did you get the name? :lol: Another Brisbaneite, welcome to the board, there are an awful lot of members from Brisbane. I hope you get a few good pointers here.

Spud
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:10 pm

Aecos wrote:Thanks Guys. One question, can the TPW be used with the airstill effectively? I was worried the Airstill had to use the sugar wash with the turbo yeast and turbo clear to keep a very clean wash or you would get a lot of bad tastes/flavours in the distillate? Different brew shops are giving me different answers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Pretty much the whole world mate.

Welcome, i'm sure it won't be long till you find your need for exactly that. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby rumby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:22 am

Gday spudgun.

The weather in brissie has been quite cold lately.

TPW is the go.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Return to Welcome Centre