New members...speak up!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New members...speak up!

Postby bt1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Amazes me the number of ppl who sign up and go silent...

dam we're offering good advice, friendly enviro...no one bites here...but we do take the piss a bit

All questions generally get an answer...seems near perfect to me!

There's no such thing as a dumb question...a little reading does however go a long way.

So ask...you're only 10 or more questions away from sitting back and enjoying your own home made preferred drop and with time improving on the retail product you buy!

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: New members...speak up!

Postby bluess57 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 pm

What's recommended to brew up first? (pot still)
A simple TPW?
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby wedwards » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:06 pm

bluess57 wrote:What's recommended to brew up first? (pot still)
A simple TPW?

Im only new to the forum as well, but have done a pair of TPW's now and you really cant go wrong with that wash. Just make sure you allow 2 weeks for it to ferment nice and slow (26 - 30 degrees), and about a week out in garage or somewhere cold to fully settle before you run it.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Jesiah » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:36 pm

G'Day. Jeremy here.

First thing I am going to run is a couple goon sacks and the remnants of about 10 different alcohol bottles I have sitting around not getting drunk. Oh and a shitload of honey. Haha.
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby RossB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 am

bt1,
I couldn't be sure but i reckon i found this forum by googling something along the lines of "crank old bloke ebay" with the intention of buying a reflux still that was cheaper than a T500 but better than the shit being offered on ebay (no offence to the T500 owners or any cranky old blokes :-D ). I soon realised that with the wealth of knowledge that this forum offered, it was possible for me to craft my own still at a fraction of the cost and would yield the same if not better product than what i had been considering previously.
What i found, however, was that as a guest user i couldn't view any of the images that were posted, which sucked because a picture tells a thousand stories. Once i was a member i had access to images and could get a better idea of what was happening. This forum encourages people to do their research before asking questions that have been answered previously. I have no doubt that a person could craft a 2" slant boka or a pot still just from the experiences shared by others on this forum without asking a single question.
It is a fantastic environment with a great bunch of people that are more than willing to offer their wisdom. I, for one, am very grateful to you lot and hope to one day be able to offer some advice to others in return for the info i have found here.
That's just my take on it
Ross :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RossB

equipment: Hoping to build a 3" DR Boka

Postby stilly_bugger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:17 am

G'day Ross. Go Cats!
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby bt1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 am

welcome all,

TPW's as a starter for a neutral spirit would be a good way to go i reckon. A pot's a good choice if you like whiskies, gins and rums. A pot will allways have a home even if just for stripping runs.

enjoy

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

RossB wrote:bt1,
I couldn't be sure but i reckon i found this forum by googling something along the lines of "crank old bloke ebay" with the intention of buying a reflux still that was cheaper than a T500 but better than the shit being offered on ebay (no offence to the T500 owners or any cranky old blokes :-D ). I soon realised that with the wealth of knowledge that this forum offered, it was possible for me to craft my own still at a fraction of the cost and would yield the same if not better product than what i had been considering previously.
What i found, however, was that as a guest user i couldn't view any of the images that were posted, which sucked because a picture tells a thousand stories. Once i was a member i had access to images and could get a better idea of what was happening. This forum encourages people to do their research before asking questions that have been answered previously. I have no doubt that a person could craft a 2" slant boka or a pot still just from the experiences shared by others on this forum without asking a single question.
It is a fantastic environment with a great bunch of people that are more than willing to offer their wisdom. I, for one, am very grateful to you lot and hope to one day be able to offer some advice to others in return for the info i have found here.
That's just my take on it
Ross :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's been a difficult week & your post is very refreshing :clap: :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Welcome Centre