Hi from Sydney

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Sydney

Postby derek1806 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi , does anyone have any good and simple recipe for burbon mash ( corn mash ) ?
derek1806

Re: Hi from Sydney

Postby Kimbo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi Derek,
welcome to the forum, try this... my-bourbon-whiskey-knock-off-recipe-t6.html
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby R-sole » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 pm

R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:30 am

Welcome derek,

There's a few good recipes there to keep you busy ;)

Enjoy your stay 8-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby derek1806 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi All, thanks so much . To ferment the mash can i use Alcotec Turbo 24 hours yeast and how much yeast for 25 litre wash ? :D
derek1806

Postby R-sole » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:38 pm

You can, but you wouldn't. There is enough nutrients in a corn mash to keep quadrillions of yeast cells happy. Most people would use distillers yeast or a good ale yeast. Bread yeast is traditional amongst the moonshiners as is naturally occuring yeasts from the corn. Distilleries use their own house yeast. Wine or champagne yeast will work just fine too.

You are asking questions about the highest skill end of distilling. Do you have any experience with distilling already?

I'm out if you are going to be asking how to do this one basic question at a time.

PS, i deleted all your repeat threads of the same question, please keep your questions in one thread and do not crosspost.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby derek1806 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi , thanks for that, i am new here, sorry for the mess. I have been distilling for the past 10 years . I have been it to vodka all the time . I know how to make a good stuff but i am sick of making vodka . Would like to make good burbon now. I have a brand new american oak barrel, medium charred , good pot still, good reflux still. I Was not sure how to do corn mash and what yeast to use. I have done one corn mash and i have used bakers yeast. Did not work . Stuffed up .Everything went down the drain.
derek1806

Postby R-sole » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Yes mate, as i said, corn mash is as hard as it gets. The problem being that it takes 2 hours to cook the corn in order to gelatinize the starches. This is two hours the corn can spend burning unless it's constantly stirred as it gets as thick as porridge.

Then there's the problem of getting the wort seperated from the grain. Almost impossible to sparge, some have converted spin dryers, some put it all in a pillowcase and squeeze.

Only real way is to distill on the grain, which generally takes either a double boiler or a big open pot that you can stir all the way till it comes up to the boil and then seal.

Best way to do a house bourbon is to search for UJSSM, or use the knock off link above which is pretty close to the same thing.

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... 33&start=0

There's this one that is easier than allgrain and may be up your alley, i haven't tried it.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... f=5&t=2799

I've been following the ujssm method for years and it makes a fine borboun for mixing after aging in barrels.
R-sole

Postby derek1806 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Thank for that . Did the mash yesterday, looks like is fermenting today. Fingers crossed.
derek1806

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:54 pm

which one ?
R-sole

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:19 pm

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... 33&start=0
Thats a long long read there 5Star...........but Im glad I did :)
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:00 am

I have two going permanently, both in their 40's or 50's as far as generations go on the grain.
I use about 10-15% crushed malt and i use 20% wash in my spirit runs.

Makes a pretty good house bourbon. :)
R-sole

Return to Welcome Centre