hi

Say Hi and introduce yourself

hi

Postby crozdog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:35 pm

hi guys, crozdog here.

found the site mentioned in a post by 5Star in AD, so had to check it out & sign up. I grew up on the mid north coast of NSW (I Notice at least 2 others are from taree way - we're everwhere :D !!) but live in sydney now.

Been stillin for a few years with a 2" bok. Last year made a 2" pot head & a VM column. I use an old laundry copper with 2 x 2200W elements for my boiler. Using the pot for stripping & whiskies. Only done 1 run on the new vm so am still on my l plates with it. 8-) Have some molasses & raw sugar so want to have a go at a rum too.

previously only done sugar washes but am now leveraging my all grain breer brewing experience / knowlwedge / equipment to making "better" product. I'm currently experimenting with "micronised" maize. Its horse feed that's beed steamed & rolled so has been gelatanised already. Think i might need to cook it a bit & maybe use some enzymes to get the most out of it, but want to try some in a UJSM & see how that goes before I try cooking it.

I Need to get a new grain mill - the barley crusher doesn't like corn 2 hours to crush 10kg wasn't fun :evil:. I'm looking at the new mashmaster mini or a schmidling maltmill from the usa. What do you guys use / recommend for crushing corn?

I'm keen to meet up with a few sydney based guys to hang out / swap ideas, techniques, product and knowledge. Drop me a PM if interested.

Cheers
Crozdog
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Re: hi

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Welcome mate,

Seen you posting over at AD, glad you found your way here 8-)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Hey Crozdog and welcome

would love to see some pics of the old copper your using, i have one of those copper insets in the shed :)
maheel

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:11 pm

Welcome, good to see a new face around.
You can bank on getting the good oil here mate :lol:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby R-sole » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 am

Hi Croz. Have you tried contacting the distributers/manufacturers about the corn in the mills.

Just thought of it then, but they may have some info. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby jdonly1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 am

Hi mate and Welcome
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby crozdog » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:39 am

maheel wrote:Hey Crozdog and welcome

would love to see some pics of the old copper your using, i have one of those copper insets in the shed :)

Here it is being used as a hlt on a brew day http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... si&img=516

Will have to take some pics of it setup for you. It has 2 elements with a switch on 1 so I can turn it off. i replaced the drain pipe to get rid of the lead solder & years of gunk.

5Star, I've emailed schmidling who replied that the adjustment @ 1 end isn't an issue & they the corn option provided a wider gap. will have to email mash master & see what they say. A few guys on ahb told me the schmidling is a top mill but to get the hardened option as the knurling wears out on the non hardened version.

Thank for the welcome guys - look forward to contributing.
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:18 pm

crozdog wrote:
maheel wrote:Hey Crozdog and welcome

Here it is being used as a hlt on a brew day http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... si&img=516

Will have to take some pics of it setup for you. It has 2 elements with a switch on 1 so I can turn it off. i replaced the drain pipe to get rid of the lead solder & years of gunk.

5Star, I've emailed schmidling who replied that the adjustment @ 1 end isn't an issue & they the corn option provided a wider gap. will have to email mash master & see what they say. A few guys on ahb told me the schmidling is a top mill but to get the hardened option as the knurling wears out on the non hardened version.

Thank for the welcome guys - look forward to contributing.

hi Crozdog could you please post some pictures of your laundry copper boiler as the above link dont work for me. :text-thankyoublue:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby maheel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:30 pm

i think it's this one, looks like a SS laundry copper (not a copper copper)

maheel

Postby crow » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi bud if your interested there's a working electric copper for sale on ebay over your way down near prt kembla $70 ATM
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Welcome Centre