Hi from Brisbane

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Brisbane

Postby fields » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi,

After posting in some other places, I was messaged that this is a great place to help out Australian based distillers and the unique problems that we can face. So I thought I'd sign up and say hi.

I'm not what I would consider myself to be a new distiller, but having only used store bought stills and turbo washes I am amazed at what I have found online about what I should have been doing over the last few weeks - I'm guessing from other posts, i'm not the only one who followed the instructions from the guy at the HBS and the instructions on the back of the pack and were less than pleased with the results.

So, I'm here to learn, am not sure where to go next -am thinking of doing some wineo and birdwatchers mashes and see how they go and if they are ok... i'll progress to a sour mash or rum.

If anyone has any leads to where to get supplies at a decent price for some of these other mashes... ie if they want to split up a bulk purchase that is too big then please let me know.

So hi everyone and I hope to learn a lot here.
fields

equipment: 50L 2" Boka LM Reflux Still
looking to get rid of:
5L super reflux still
25 L CM still

Re: Hi from Brisbane

Postby R-sole » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Welcome mate. Just go to a an agricultural supply/horse food joint. Buy feed grade 8-)

Build or buy a pot still and stick it on a keg with a gas fire underneath, home and hosed.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm

gday Fields and welcome

most of us have been stung by HBS "promises" nothing wrong with using it but it's also good to see some other ideas and try them :)

kicking off with a BW (TPW) or a Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash is a great way to try new things.
stripping and making good cuts if your not already help as well
then it's an endless journey finding the best product you can :mrgreen:

there has been some bulk buying going on and sharing of purchases of late so stay around and something of interest will come along.
maheel

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Another Brisbanite, seems like nobody here buys grog from a bottle shop any more.
Welcome aboard mate.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby fields » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:04 am

Hi Guys,

thanks for the warm welcome... I hope you will not get sick of me as I ask questions around here... I do want to build my own still but have never built anything out of metal before so be warned... I do have a keg lying around and 1m of 2.5 in copper but turning that into a pot still is not something where I know how to begin even though I've spent countless hours reading the posts on the various design and coupling options.

As to the feed store - what is a good price? I went to my local feed store where I buy my chicken feed the other day and they were selling cracked corn for 13.20 for 10kg and molasses was 3.20 for 2L... they did not have any barley

Cheers
fields

looking to get rid of:
5L super reflux still
25 L CM still

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:47 am

Have a look in the classifieds mate, there's a few of us here who will do you a potstil if you're not confident.

Great tools they are 8-)

I think someone was offering a bulk deal on mollasses in your area in a thread not long ago...
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby jeracoo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Have a look in the distillers warehouse part of the forum, you get can cracked corn for $0.59 a kg and molasses for about $0.50 a Litre though you have to buy in bulk to get the good prices.
jeracoo

equipment: T500 with special pot still made by McStill himself

Postby fields » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks guys for all the input - sorry for not looking through the site properly, i'm sure it annoys you to tell newbies that all the time - have been through that on another forum where i feel i am an expert

Will look into the pot still more; had originally thought to make a vm still with a cross flow condenser that i could convert into a pot still but then all the pieces added up and felt too expensive - so maybe I should just get a pot then if i want to upgrade my reflux do that at a later date.

I'll ask some questions about cooling management and pot stills a little later as well as I have read the options of heating a keg but am not sure the best for me so may put up some posts on that too
fields

looking to get rid of:
5L super reflux still
25 L CM still

Postby maheel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:48 am

ask all the q's you like not only do many of us like reading them from anybody we like answering them to, not always correct but :D
that's what forums are about... sharing info etc

bloody hard to see every thread when your new and someone here is going to link or point you to a thread no drama's
maheel

Return to Welcome Centre