New to Stilling

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New to Stilling

Postby Chad » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi all
New to stilling have been used a mates turbo 500 a couple of times to see how things go. I fnd that i really like this gig. Now looking at a few stilling sites i see that there alot more options out there that the shop bought stills.

Maybe i am being a little ambitious but i would like to try my hand alone at this, can anyone give me any tips on stills. Should I start with a shop bought one or go for a made one or even try to build one myself. I have limtied funds as the other half is not to sure about all of this.

Any information would be appreciated.
Chad

equipment: VM & pot still

Re: New to Stilling

Postby maheel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:20 pm

100% build or buy a custom job. not a store bought one....

50L keg and triclamp and "still" with a gas-burner or 2200w element is the go i reckon kicking off you may never need to upgrade either :)

the still then can be built for your product in mind but i reckon a neutral based still head to begin is "best"

welcome to the site Chad
maheel

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Welcome Chad, there's plenty of people here to help you if you do decide to build your own.

First thing is to know what it is you want to make to drink, then the decision on design can be easily made ;)

For the price of a shop bought still you could get something custom made and have some coin left for other stuff you'll need.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:08 am

Unless you just like drinking vodka, i would suggest making your own (or buying custom) pot still.

You can make a passable vodka with it too although it's more work than a big reflux still.

No matter which way you go you'll need a potstill at least for stripping, so build or buy one, impress her with your better than bought stuff for less than a dollar a bottle that won't give you a hangover and then think about reflux later if you'r interested. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby rumby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:09 am

A still you can use for pot stilling & full refluxing is the go. Have a look in the still section. Spends as much time reserching as possible, dont jump in a get the first one that you see. Read, read & more reading.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby bundy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am

get a custom built still from one of the people here that sell and build.i have two mcstill built ones,cheaper and better than store bought.do some reading and ask some questions ind you will come out in front and please the better half with what you will save.
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby Chad » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks guys for your welcome and information

Alot to think about, think i will read abit more and ask a heap more questions before I commit either way. The mrs loves Baileys & OP Rum, me I like a good drop of Bourbon as well as the occasional Rum. I say the occasional as the "better half" says i cant drink rum :roll: not to sure why as she looks alot better when I do :lol: :lol: well just between us anyway. :?

Chad
Chad

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Chad.
Dont listen to the philistines, get a T500.
The T500 is a great, easy place to start, I have one.
Just remember that you will want to upgrade to a better device once you get deeper into the hobby.
I am at that point now and just got a McStill pot to "compliment" the T500 doing strips.
Given a few more months I will probably upgrade again as money allows.
Only you can choose your path.
Edit to add: The T500 has taught me heaps along the way.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby DeeJae » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:09 pm

even better option if you do decide to buy a hbs still is the full copper ultra pure still. I had a turbo 500 and had to return 3 of them because of leaks ( maybe just my bad luck ) , so he put me onto them and its heaps easier to use and a slightly better product imo . But in saying that if i had done a bit more research before i started , i would have gone the route of a custom made reflux and keg boiler .
DeeJae

equipment: All Copper 4 Plate Bubbler ( built by mcstill )
Keg boiler

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 pm

DeeJae wrote: I had a turbo 500 and had to return 3 of them

Dont listen, this was all put down to user error :lol: :lol:
But seriously, there have been a lot of leaking problems with the "new" T500's.
Mine is a very early model and I have not had any problems with it (touch wood)
Chad, you should just call McStill - seriously.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby R-sole » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:42 am

Chad wrote:Thanks guys for your welcome and information

Alot to think about, think i will read abit more and ask a heap more questions before I commit either way. The mrs loves Baileys & OP Rum, me I like a good drop of Bourbon as well as the occasional Rum. I say the occasional as the "better half" says i cant drink rum :roll: not to sure why as she looks alot better when I do :lol: :lol: well just between us anyway. :?

Chad

That's fairly and squarely pot still territory.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Chad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks 5Star
I have done a bit of reading and chatted to a few blokes and your suggestion seems like the way i should be going. Looks like i am going to start pot stilling. :D and shopping, Thanks again for the help. Once i get myself set up i will be sure to post.
Chad

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:01 am

You are very welcome.

You can put down a couple of ferments once you sort your parts to tick away while the buildings going on.

It'll keep the sand out of your crack once you build it and start looking round for something to run.

Do a cheap sugar wash in a small 10l ferment for your cleaning run and start a Ujssm going for after that. 8-)
R-sole

Return to Welcome Centre