G'day from Scotland

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from Scotland

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Just joined up and thought i'd say hello. I hail from the wet and windy land of Scotland - the weather does lend itself to spending lots of time in the shed or down the pub - I enjoy both.
Been stilling for just over 9 months now - started off on a SS T-500, moved on to a VM unit now - still use the boiler from time to time with the VM.
Always looking to expand my stilling\brewing knowledge as well as new and exciting swear words - this site looks to be the biz on all fronts. :D

I may not always follow all the lingo but *dons best aussie accent* I'll give it a red hot crack.

Al.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Re: G'day from Scotland

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:46 pm

G'day Al and welcome,great to have you aboard.We've got a great little multi cultural community going here,we got Scots,whinging poms :laughing-rolling: yanks...we got everyone.It's great to see,heaps of nice blokes...and ladies .... And heaps of knowledge,any questions mate,feel free to ask,just don't direct em at me coz I know fuck all :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheer
D
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby SBB » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Al, One day I hope to visit your country as my ancestral roots lay there.
Cheers SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:08 am

SBB wrote: One day I hope to visit your country as my ancestral roots lay there.
Cheers SBB

Mine too ;)

Welcome Al.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:15 am

G'day Al
Welcome to Oz
you have got the brain matter going here ( thinking of crossing some bag pipes with a pot still :shock: :shock: :crazy: :crazy: , I spose that should be in playdough :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Al Qaemist » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:16 pm

thanks for the kind words of welcome guys.
Al Qaemist

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Al Qaemist
a bloody big, fair dinkum welcome to you and I hope you have a bonza time on this forum.

When you get a chance, there's a thread ongoing about Scotch Whisky (strewth mate, now that I've had a bit of a squiz..... there's whisky yak over the bloody place actually).

Anyway, I/(we) would love any/ALL of your 'local' insights on these things ;) (assuming you have some, of course)
...but just don't come the raw prawn with us, cobber :? :lol:
Frank

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:04 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Frank
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Al Qaemist » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:33 am

Come the raw prawn? that's a new one for me :laughing-rolling:

I don't have any local insight on the whisky front, I'm a gin man myself and only have a wee dram noo and again. I rarely use my pot still other than the occasional rum.
Also my responses will all be in the middle of the night for you guys, as its only Yesti arvo here when your getting up for brekkie.

Al
Al Qaemist

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Al Qaemist wrote:....I don't have any local insight on the whisky front, I'm a gin man myself and only have a wee dram noo and again.

:o :o :shock:
Well... strike me lucky! I woulda thought you'd be a dead cert on this. My wrong. Hope ya dont think I'm a dinkum drongo for the bum's rush on whisky advice then. I sure don't wanna give you the joes. :)

Anyway...no wuckas mate, your bloody welcome however you nudge the turps. Like I said, have an optic over this bonza forum. Its a lay down misere there will be ripper 'gin talk' in here too.;)
Frank

Postby QLD.Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:31 pm

I am sure I have seen that insulated T500 boiler with stainless pot of yours somewhere else, doesnt it have a full sized reflux attachment as well ?
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Al Qaemist » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 am

Frank - you're cracking me up. :text-lol:

QLD.Andy wrote:I am sure I have seen that insulated T500 boiler with stainless pot of yours somewhere else, doesn't it have a full sized reflux attachment as well ?

Yes Andy, its also got a power controller. I also post under a different handle on another site that's mainly for smart still \T500 hosted here in the UK.

Here's the boiler with the VM on it, It produces good neutral at a fair old lick that I then use for gin - I sometime run rum through it too and blend it with pot stilled rum and a little sherry that makes a really nice drink after a few month oaking.
For neutral I pull heads off at under 500w, then run the hearts out at 1400w seems to be the sweet spot for output and quality.

I no longer have the T500 column - but I have some interesting findings using the T500 with power control that lets you squeeze about 50% more output without compromising ABV. I'll dig out my notes and start a thread.

If you look closely you'll also see outside the rarely seen Scottish summer, I missed it this year because I was in the kitchen boiling the kettle for a cuppa, and taking this photo, there's always next year. :)
Al Qaemist

Return to Welcome Centre