Oh herro der...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Oh herro der...

Postby Classified » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey guys, just poping in to say hi and get some advice and learn some more.

Here is my dillemma...

About a year ago I inherited what i think is a boka design reflux still. Its about 1.6m tall (the column) and has two slanted plates under the condenser which one directs liquid toward a valve on the side. Its copper and currently runs on an old 25l instrument sterilising thing. I have just finished getting my 30l stainless keg ready for my column and will use it with gas.

Any who, running at max output its pulls 85% at about 1.6-2l/h.
At 600-700ish ml/hr i get 95-96% however my cooling system cant keep up with this (30mins max then i watch my ethanol hit the shed roof :( ). I have a 30ltr tub with a pump which takes the water through my double helix condenser and back into a car air cond unit which pulls cold air through a cool panel and then dumps back into the tub.

I am thinking that i should get rid of the air cond unit and pull out the radiator from the car and use that instead with a pedestal fan. Will this work?

What cooling systems do you guys use? And running from the tap is not an option.

Okay well this isnt the kind of welcome thread so if it should be moved please do so.

Cheers.
Classified

equipment: Super Reflux

Re: Oh herro der...

Postby MacStill » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Welcome Classified,

I reckon your water supply is just too small, a cheap option for a good cooling system is a 44 gallon drum and a bilge pump.

My coolant system is a 1000L cube & a 1600L ph pump, the whole setup cost me about $200 but was worth every cent, and I use the hot water from my still to start new wash's then top up the cube with cool tap water.

Everyone here has a different setup, but doubt anyone uses a 30L bucket ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Classified » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:14 pm

Lol, the funny thing is i have a 44gal drum sitting right next to the still now but when i set it up for the first time i didnt want to fill up the big drum, i wanted to make my first alcoholic bev..Enter the 30l bucket/tub. Ever since then i have kept using it.

I will fill her up and give it a shot.
Classified

Postby maheel » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:33 pm

go the 44 bigger the better for water tanks, bigger means less change in cooling water temps during the run

i use my water tank and i had a little panic when i noticed the tank only half full today
maheel

Postby R-sole » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:32 am

You should be running it at 96%, so slow it down to whatever you need to and add capacity to your water but.

I have 600l and need it all for a 40l run on a reflux in summer.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Classified » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:33 am

Yeah I will definately get that 44 set up. I think i will even get the radiator set up too keep it cool. Its amazing how much heat transfer happens from a little more reflux, 30l does amazingly fine for max output.

Thanx guys, all my other questions will be put into the relevant sections on the forum.
Classified

Return to Welcome Centre