Virgin to stills

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Virgin to stills

Postby Rolli » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:39 am

Hi all,

I'm a complete virgin to stills, and after years of home brewing (all grain), I'm thinking of joining the mystical ranks of moonshining!

Having joined the forum, I thought it would make deciding how to start easier, how wrong was I! I'm more confused now than ever!!

I'm thinking about building myself a boka to cut my teeth on, with the goal of making stickies for the Mrs, the occasional rum and scotch for me... I'm not too interested in using essence flavored, I'd rather brew from scratch, but will probably do it for the first few to get my head around using a still!!

Any advice would be great - I the mean time I'll keep reading the boards until I think I know my ear from arsehole and take the plunge!!

Cheers
Rolli
Rolli

equipment: Just starting

Re: Virgin to stills

Postby warramungas » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:09 am

Welcome bud and you've got it right. Read with a bit more reading on top.
Check out the beginners sectio where most of your questions should get answered and you'll be away in no time.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby EziTasting » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:23 am

Welcome to the forum, Rolli
As a home-brewer you're already a mile a head to most starters as you'll have great hygiene practices and all-grain experiences that'll set you up for making brown spirits!
I'm starting to think I need to learn that as I'm not very successful doing AG :angry-banghead:

:text-+1: with Warra
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:39 am

If you want brown spirits think about perhaps a potstill instead, if you want neutral/vodka and brown spirits, seriously consider a bubbler, which is best of both worlds, they are not cheap but you will save in the long run. Unless of course you want to learn to use a reflux and pot still during your adventures.

If you like a drink then you will love stillin, buy once buy right (money permitting of course)
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Rolli » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:47 am

^ as an equal opportunity alcoholic, I don't mind a drink or 10...

:)

After reading up, I've kind of thought a bubbler is the still that best suits what I want to get out of distilling, but don't seam like the easiest still to learn on!
Rolli

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:52 am

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Enjoy the forum :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:12 am

A pot still is the easiest still to learn on, but if you're already an AG brewer you'll end up with a bubbler anyway, soupy may as well work towards it from day one.

Do you want to build a still, or are you looking at one of Five Star's rigs?

Welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:13 am

Nothing like starting at the top :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Nino » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:24 am

Rolli wrote:^ as an equal opportunity alcoholic, I don't mind a drink or 10...

:)

After reading up, I've kind of thought a bubbler is the still that best suits what I want to get out of distilling, but don't seam like the easiest still to learn on!

They aren't that hard to operate. I have done 4 runs on mine and it is getting better each time. My last run, last week was a neutral and I pulled 93% ABV over the whole run, that's not bad for my second neutral run, with alittle more fine tuning I should be able to pull 95% ABV.

It is a bit of a learning curve but it is also a hell of a lot of fun :) :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

Oh, and welcome to the forum, enjoy the ride.
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Rolli » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:30 am

Zak Griffin wrote:A pot still is the easiest still to learn on, but if you're already an AG brewer you'll end up with a bubbler anyway, soupy may as well work towards it from day one.

Do you want to build a still, or are you looking at one of Five Star's rigs?

Welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was thinking of building a boka, purely from a financial point of view - but when it comes to a bubble still, I don't think my fabrication skills are anywhere near good enough to make one! (Having seen 5stars pot still that reads like it can be upgraded to a bubbler later, it certainly has appeal to it. But a $1k spend at the moment is completely out of the question!)
Rolli

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:43 am

Ok so remove bubbler from equation for now. Could always do a packed section with a reflux condenser going into a 90 degree bend into product condenser then when you want to do rum or whiskey etc remove the packing and run it in pot still mode?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rolli » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:54 am

Cheers bluc!
Rolli

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:55 am

My suggestion would be if you reckon you have the skill/tools/resources to build a boka then do that and while your at it knock together a simple pot still.

This will then enable you to do stripping runs for nuetrel to run through the boka to keep the missus happy and also have the ability to make decent whisky and rum.

Building a nuetrel still to run detuned to try and make brown spirits is a shit idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:01 am

Sam. wrote:
Building a nuetrel still to run detuned to try and make brown spirits is a shit idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Curious why is that? How about a modular pc and 180 degree bend a packed section and rc. Than a sperate empty pipe for pot stillin? I dont get why removing packing and turning off rc is a shit idea?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:15 am

bluc wrote:
Sam. wrote:

Curious why is that? How about a modular pc and 180 degree bend a packed section and rc. Than a sperate empty pipe for pot stillin? I dont get why removing packing and turning off rc is a shit idea?

So your talking about building a CM reflux still?

That in itself is not the best idea as they are the most difficult to run and get consistent results. (Different for a bubbler as it has plates).

Also are you saying the RC will be like that in a standard bubbler? This now increases the complexity of the build. Building a plate or cup boka is much easier.

What you suggest would work fine for a pot still but it is still not a very good reflux still :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:22 am

Ok cool all good points :handgestures-thumbupleft: Which is why you are a mod and I am a newbie.Seperate Boka and pot sounds like the way to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:40 am

The CM reflux design used to be built a fair bit but VM and LM really had it over them so no one really builds them anymore, you don't really even see VM stills being built now either, the boka has really dominated the relux side.

Can be confusing because a bubbler is a CM but that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Rolli if this is confusing the shit out of you have a read of this it may help clear things up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Rolli » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Sam. wrote:
Rolli if this is confusing the shit out of you have a read of this it may help clear things up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Your spot on, it did confuse the shit out of me!! Thanks, I'll have a read now...
Rolli

Postby Kenster » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Rolli... just a quick one... consider 3''.... bogs on the 2'', a bit more loot but really worth it.
I just upgraded recently and very glad i went that way.(cup boka... way easy to build)
welcome...
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby scythe » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:55 pm

I would say a bubbler is a power management still rather than a cooling management.
Over power the RC instead of decreasing its cooling capability.

Then you don't need to focus on trying to build an RC with more than 7 inner tubes.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Next

Return to Welcome Centre