Neutral essences

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Neutral essences

Postby Dopeassmonkey » Sun May 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Iv tried a few of these flavoured essences and pretty much gave up and just drank it neutral. Does anyone have and good experiences with them or is it just not worth it
Ideally trying to go for a jack daniels type flavour
Dopeassmonkey

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Neutral essences

Postby Clickeral » Sun May 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Back in the early 2000's I used to drink home brew from a friend who used to use oak chips with neutral and then essences and that was ok

Not nearly the same as a proper pot stilled or plated column bourbon however
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Wellsy » Mon May 03, 2021 6:48 am

Not necessarily the answer you were looking for mate, but if you are successful in getting your hands on the 5star pot and reflux you wanted give the Bourbon Whiskey Knock off recipe in the tried and true a go. It fermented quickly, which is great for impatient newbies, and I was drinking it after 10 weeks. I was significantly tasting after 2 lol. It is also done in pot still mode, stripping and spirit run
Put it on French oak, from 5star, French colours so much faster, and put some on American this will take longer to colour but the French will let you drink sooner. After drinking this for 4 months I had a glass of gentleman jack and was disappointed as all I could taste was wood.
There are so many variables even down to the ABV you oak at. I did a batch of NGW at 50% for 4 months French oak and all I could taste was caramel, it was too strong a taste so that will be mixed with something to dilute the flavour and provide a more complex drink.
I would be surprised if you stick with the essences once you have the gear set up.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Wellsy wrote:Not necessarily the answer you were looking for mate, but if you are successful in getting your hands on the 5star pot and reflux you wanted give the Bourbon Whiskey Knock off recipe in the tried and true a go. It fermented quickly, which is great for impatient newbies, and I was drinking it after 10 weeks. I was significantly tasting after 2 lol. It is also done in pot still mode, stripping and spirit run
Put it on French oak, from 5star, French colours so much faster, and put some on American this will take longer to colour but the French will let you drink sooner. After drinking this for 4 months I had a glass of gentleman jack and was disappointed as all I could taste was wood.
There are so many variables even down to the ABV you oak at. I did a batch of NGW at 50% for 4 months French oak and all I could taste was caramel, it was too strong a taste so that will be mixed with something to dilute the flavour and provide a more complex drink.
I would be surprised if you stick with the essences once you have the gear set up.

What essences would be the best if one was to use them for a cheap alternative?
McMoonshineMatt

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper Column
Still Spirit Alembic Copper Dome and Condenser

Postby Wellsy » Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm

That’s the point Matt, they are not a cheap alternative.
If you can run in pot still mode and you do a BWKO or WBAB wash you don’t actually need the essences.
I think 20:00 will buy you a kilo of French oak from five star and that will do about 100 to 200 litres . And that is not taking into account you can re toast them.
I can’t recommend an essence as I have not used any to recommend mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Tue May 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Wellsy wrote:That’s the point Matt, they are not a cheap alternative.
If you can run in pot still mode and you do a BWKO or WBAB wash you don’t actually need the essences.
I think 20:00 will buy you a kilo of French oak from five star and that will do about 100 to 200 litres . And that is not taking into account you can re toast them.
I can’t recommend an essence as I have not used any to recommend mate

Im hearin ya Wellsy. Its a bit like making a pretty ordinary ale and trying to add hop oil to dress it up.

Sooooo just dove in deeper(as the water is fine) and ordered the alembic dome and condenser. Have just watched a few you tube vids and i sort of have the idea of doing several runs collecting at different stages on the last rub etc. I should be able to make up a pretty good mash thats for sure.
McMoonshineMatt

Postby Wellsy » Tue May 04, 2021 4:24 pm

If you can make a good mash you are off to a flying start.
I have no experience with mashing grains and am getting great results with sugar washes and my trusty pot still.
Even once you get the mash variables, sorted, you then have the cuts variables. After all that you then have the variables of oak types, toasting tempts to enhance different flavours, then the abv that you oak the spirit at changes the flavour.
So with all that the take out message is take lots of notes as you will never remember if you do a batch you love lol
If you enjoyed home brew mate you are going to love this hobby
Wellsy

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Tue May 04, 2021 5:29 pm

Wellsy wrote:If you can make a good mash you are off to a flying start.
I have no experience with mashing grains and am getting great results with sugar washes and my trusty pot still.
Even once you get the mash variables, sorted, you then have the cuts variables. After all that you then have the variables of oak types, toasting tempts to enhance different flavours, then the abv that you oak the spirit at changes the flavour.
So with all that the take out message is take lots of notes as you will never remember if you do a batch you love lol
If you enjoyed home brew mate you are going to love this hobby

Already am loving it and I haven’t even seen the first drip yet!
Don’t worry mate there were plenty of weekends that I have a massive brewfest, and drinkfest I might add, where I made some classic beers and didn’t have a recipe sorted. Just threw in a bit of this and that. So will definitely take notes this time around.
McMoonshineMatt

Postby Amberale » Tue May 04, 2021 8:18 pm

I don’t drink bourbon but I do drink Jameson.
A lot.
I use the SS Shamrock in FFVW heart of hearts and rate it highly.
There is a post here somewhere about trying to replicate Jameson with an AG wash and I don’t believe I will live long enough to complete it. :)
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Wed May 05, 2021 4:32 am

Amberale wrote:I don’t drink bourbon but I do drink Jameson.
A lot.
I use the SS Shamrock in FFVW heart of hearts and rate it highly.
There is a post here somewhere about trying to replicate Jameson with an AG wash and I don’t believe I will live long enough to complete it. :)

Cheers Amberale, I don’t mind Irish whiskey at all! I can see myself having some fun, making up different grists for these Rum and Whiskey runs that’s for sure.
McMoonshineMatt

Postby Amberale » Wed May 05, 2021 7:10 pm

No wuckers Matt.
There are many ways to skin this cat and Neutrals are but one shortcut.
Good straight spirit is a joy on its own and the previously mentioned tried and trusted recipes are great when given a bit of time on wood.
I am in no way an expert with them but I think it is best to limit the time on wood to a few weeks and then age for a longer period.
Don’t expect your rum to taste any good for a year or so.
My first one was so crap I nearly threw it out.
A couple of years later and it is acceptable.
Second glass is good.
Third glass is great. :laughing-rolling:
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Return to Distillers Warehouse