60L Plastic Drum Fermenter Not Sealing

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

60L Plastic Drum Fermenter Not Sealing

Postby mjcj01 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:50 pm

I have just done a TFFV in a 60L plastic drum...
Have had it covered with tea towel for first 24 hours and now putting put lid on with air locks, locking ring and discovered it is not sealing....air locks are not bubbling. There is nothing wrong with the ferment as it is bubbling away nicely. The lid doesn't have an o-ring, just a plastic strip, similar to the inside of glass jar lids. Any ideas on how to seal properly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjcj01

equipment: 50l Keg Boiler.....2"Inch copper pot still with 1m of packed reflux column.

Re: 60L Plastic Drum Fermenter Not Sealing

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:12 pm

I wouldn't worry about sealing it mate, it'll be fine as is. I just sit the lid on top of my 250 litre fermentegg and stick my ear up to the side to listen for activity rather than relying on an airlock. I take samples to check the SG every few days and when I get the same value on consecutive readings, it's done.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RC Al » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 pm

You might be able to find a catering roll of cling wrap that's wide enough if you're worried, my last infection was most likely from bugs crawling in

Couple times around with some duct tape under the clamp may work too
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Plumby » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm

I have the same drums man, mine never sealed properly from day 1. I didn't worry about it though as the lid is just there to keep dust and bugs out really. In my case dog hair as well.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:04 pm

I ahd the same drums at one stage and they didnt seal.
I ran a couple of layers of electrical tape around the "join" and that sealed it we enough to start the airlock bubbling :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby mjcj01 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:04 pm

thanks all...
mjcj01

equipment: 50l Keg Boiler.....2"Inch copper pot still with 1m of packed reflux column.

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Put a plastic bag over the top to keep the ants out.
wynnum1

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Packaging cling wrap. Cheap as chips and will provide a better seal than anything else. Has an added bonus of providing a nice big window to see how active your fermente is over time. It is all I have ever used.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby mjcj01 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:Packaging cling wrap. Cheap as chips and will provide a better seal than anything else. Has an added bonus of providing a nice big window to see how active your fermente is over time. It is all I have ever used.

how does it vent? Do you put pin holes in the wrap?
mjcj01

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Spot on! Just a couple of pinholes is plenty and nothing will crawl in against the pressure of the escaping co2
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 am

No need for cling wrap just put a plastic bag over the closed drum and tie to the drum or use elastic .
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:56 pm

I prefer to not have bugs mice rats lizard possums or the neighbours kids end up in my fermenter and like to use an air lock. If you wanted to make a gasket its fairly easy. Buy some 100% silicone from bunnings (it should either say food grade or 100% silicone on the tube. My bunnings has it.) If you want you could put couple narrow notchs around the rim for relocating the gasket after it has been removed.

Then apply a very thin layer of vaseline(you could also use mould release wax/bee's or canubra wax). to both the mating surfaces ( this acts as a release agent and stops the silicone sticking to the plastic). Then a good thick strip of the silicone. Apply a little weight so it bulges the silicone a little but you dont want to squeeze all the silicone out from between the parts so once dry you are left with a nice thick gasket with a mark you can line up each time you need to remove then replace it..

I would leave it 4 full days to make sure the silicone is properly cured before separating the parts.
This should leave you with a moderately tough gasket that seals well. I would prob aim for 3-5mm thick but this will depend on the locking mechanism on your drum..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Distillers Warehouse