Tomato paste wash first attempt

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Tomato paste wash first attempt

Postby Dopeassmonkey » Sat May 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Hey I'm looking to start my first tomato paste wash
And just wondering if anyone had any good tips or tricks
Also I see lots of people using real lemons and Epsom salts Is This necessary or can I just use lemon juice from the bottle. Thanks
Dopeassmonkey

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Tomato paste wash first attempt

Postby Dopeassmonkey » Sat May 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked a million times
Dopeassmonkey

Postby BigRig » Sat May 01, 2021 6:44 pm

I am lazy but i never bothered with the epsom salts and lemon juice and i never had any issues with the wash fermenting out to below 1.000.

I found the wash never foamed up like rum does so i would do a 28L was in a 30L fermenter and push a little extra sugar to suit.

How big a batch are you doing ?
Last edited by BigRig on Sat May 01, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Dopeassmonkey » Sat May 01, 2021 7:25 pm

25 litres.. some iv seen seem more complicated about mixing in certain stages and checking the gravity and adjusting and others I saw were just like throw it all in and it'll be fine
Dopeassmonkey

Postby The Stig » Sat May 01, 2021 8:53 pm

KISS
keep It Simple ... you get the idea
I never used epsom or any other shit , I also don’t use a hygrometer that’s why I have a nose a mouth and sense of smell
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Dopeassmonkey » Sun May 02, 2021 3:20 am

Can you point my in the direction of a good simple ass one or just find something that looks good enough and go with it.. from what iv heard even if I don't do it great it'll still shit on a turbo wash.. which is what I am hoping for
Dopeassmonkey

Postby scythe » Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 am

Have a look in the tried and proven section, it's all good in there.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby BigRig » Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am

Dopeassmonkey wrote:Can you point my in the direction of a good simple ass one or just find something that looks good enough and go with it.. from what iv heard even if I don't do it great it'll still shit on a turbo wash.. which is what I am hoping for

In a 30L fermenter -
6kg sugar https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/pr ... e-5422541p
Half a 500g jar of tomato paste https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/pr ... ste-tomato
Generous sprinkle of lowans bakers yeast https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/pr ... ed-instant
Fill water to 28L mark

Really is that simple.
Last edited by BigRig on Sun May 02, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Dopeassmonkey » Sun May 02, 2021 9:05 am

Thanks man I can only fit 25l atm but should be ok if i just rough it down a little ey? Seems like a lot of paste compared to others iv read for that size... but I dunno shit so I'll take your word
Dopeassmonkey

Postby BigRig » Sun May 02, 2021 9:13 am

Dopeassmonkey wrote:Thanks man I can only fit 25l atm but should be ok if i just rough it down a little ey? Seems like a lot of paste compared to others iv read for that size... but I dunno shit so I'll take your word

Here it is from the man himself ( i just dont bother with the epsom salts and citric) https://birdwatchers.info/calculator/
BigRig

Postby Dude » Sun May 02, 2021 11:12 am

It really is as simple as all of the above, the birdwatcher calculator is great.
Tastes a little tomato'y on the stripping run bit that disappears on the spirit run for some real nice "juice"
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby howard » Sun May 02, 2021 2:18 pm

my 25L washes are nearly always PH 7 before pitching yeast, adding 1/2 tsp citric acid and a quick stir drops it to 5.8 -6.0
depends on your water i suppose, i only add if required.
small tubs of citric acid powder are in your local shops baking section, not HBS prices.
the recipe is fairly bullet proof, i can only emphasize a really good aeration with a paint stirrer & drill just before pitching the yeast.
i also do the stirring outside now, and not in the kitchen (everything needed a good wipe down anyway :roll: )
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun May 02, 2021 3:41 pm

When I do TPW I do 60 litre ferments and I use rainwater so no need at the start of the ferment to add anything just 12kg of sugar, one small tub of tomato paste and a good sprinkle of bakers yeast. Now I do find taking a PH reading 2 weeks later the PH drops to the high 3's so I just add some baking soda to get the PH back to 5.5 and find 3 weeks later the ferment is done. I aim for a SG of 1070 and it finished around 995 then they are left for a week or two to clear, then I strip in my 4" pot still and when I have enough low wines the run is done over 4 plates and a 500ml packed section.

With my last batch I just did the strip and spirit run but with this next batch I'll do 2 spirit runs which will give a triple distilled neutral for my macerations and my bottle that lives in the freezer as on a warm or hot day it's great having a cold dram of nothing :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Clickeral » Sun May 02, 2021 4:52 pm

Just a tip but if you run with 1kg of sugar per 5L your about on the money, I personally prefer weetbix or weetbix/bran washes but TPW is very popular. The Tomato paste is just for nutrient (can use extra boiled yeast for a similar effect) the lemon juice is to help with inverting the sugar but dissolving it also works. Bread yeast is pretty good at converting sugar so don't stress to much, these recipes are very forgiving and tbh the main thing is making sure it doesn't get infected (and even then I generally still would run it if fermented out dry)
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby pistagain » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:52 pm

I also am a proponent of the KISS principle. For a 50-litre wash,
10kg sugar = 1kg/5 litres (as stated above)
125 gms Lowan baker's yeast = 2.5 gms/litre
415 gm bottle of Woolies tomato paste = 8.3gms/litre
I also like to pitch the yeast at a PH of about 5 which requires about a teaspoon of bicarb (although this will depend upon the ph of the water used) and a temp of about 30 degrees. I use aquarium heaters to keep the temp at about 30 degrees throughout the ferment. This invariably produces an SG of well under 1.0 within a week.
I actually prefer a WBAB voddy but I find that it takes longer and is also a lot messier to clean up. I spend a lot of time away from home and am really only home for about 3-4 weeks at a time, 4 or so times a year, so a reasonably quick ferment is essential to me keeping up supplies. Also, I once had to leave 3 fermented washes in their respective fermenters for 3 months and when I returned they were perfect. I'm not sure that that would have been the case if they were WBAB washes.
pistagain
Site Donor

equipment: Water jacketed copper column still with extension column. 50 litre keg boiler

Re: Tomato paste wash first attempt and a mistake was made

Postby Rob5560 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:48 pm

Newbe here with T500
Put down my first TPW a few days ago. I stuffed it up a bit and put 200g Lowhans bread yeast in by mistake.It really took off. 25l wash. Starting SG1.08 Finish SG .91. If you do the calc that is kind of impossible. What are your thoughts on that? Will distil when settled.

Put two more washes down slightly different recipe, using epsom salt. The first of the next two washs has gone absolutely crazy. The airlock is going like it has an air hose under it. The third wash is going about at a normal rate. Only difference is a new tub of yeast and different brand of white sugar. Does anybody have a view on the difference between wash 2 and 3?

Can I upload an attachment which is a mp4 video?
Rob5560

equipment: Air still/ Reflux now also T500

Return to Distillers Warehouse