Dry Hops advice for South Coast Pale Ale

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Dry Hops advice for South Coast Pale Ale

Postby Crow7 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to home brew, having done some coopers cans and will be moving to more complex beers as well as distilling.

I thought I'd try a Pirate life inspired South Coast Pale Ale

I haven't found found a clone but did find what hops they use. So I bought 25 grams each of Taiheke, Wai-iti and Cashmere.

So what I've done is:
Coopers Pale Ale can
Brew Enhancer 2

made as per normal for a can, I did use the included yeast, pitched at 24c.

For hops I did 12.5g each of Taiheke, Wai-iti and Cashmere as a 10 minutes boil in water and addd it when starting the brew.

my plan is, after 2 days I'll add a further 12.5g of each of the hops then remove all the hops 2 days later.

This will be a total of 75g Hops, half in a 10 min boil and half dry hopped. (I read that longer dry hoping can impart grassy flavours)

My question is, does that sound like enough hops and time?
Has anyone used these hops or tried to mimic the West Coast Pale Ale?

And any other feedback, recipes or opinions would be welcome

Cheers
Crow7

equipment: 35L Alcoengine Copper Reflux Still
25L SS Fermenter

Re: Dry Hops advice for South Coast Pale Ale

Postby indenial » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:12 pm

Crow, this answer might be too late, but your plan seems ok. I haven't used any of those hops or tried to mimic that ale.

Be mindful you are increasing the bitterness of your already hopped pale ale extract, but with only 10 minute boil, it shouldn't be too much.
I try to leave the hop material from the boil behind in the kettle, but don't stress if some/all transfers to fermenter.
I am about to dry hop 22l of pale ale with 45g of hops (Azacca and Vic Secret), as in my limited experience, that should be hoppy enough for my taste. I'm still learning though, and the only real way is experience.

I leave the hops in there. I try not to open the fermenter more than necessary as I am more worried about oxidation. Once fermentation is complete, or even a few days later, I transfer into a corny keg for carbonation and drinking.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Postby Crow7 » Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:47 pm

I ended up leaving the hops in there for a week.

Bottled after fermentation ended.

It is definitely a nice hoppy beer. But more bitter then the pirate life and not as much citrus and floral character.

I may need to find a pale ale can that has less bitterness then the can I used.

Maybe I'll use a homebrand can so the main flavour comes from my hops and use us-05.

Unless anyone has any recommendations for an ale wort can that is not too bitter.
Crow7

equipment: 35L Alcoengine Copper Reflux Still
25L SS Fermenter

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:58 pm

Crow7 I'll second that use of US-05 as the yeast to use using beer tins :handgestures-thumbupleft: If I'm not making lager thats the yeast I use for all my homebrew beers.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:55 pm

You can also try making a hop tea at the very end and pouring that into the bottling mix just prior to bottling. Will often boost the fruitiness of the hops without adding to much bitterness
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Beer & Wine