Commercial brew tin

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Commercial brew tin

Postby Listo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:20 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Well that second batch I did using the Dutch lager is reminiscent of the reason I gaveup making homebrew beer :angry-banghead: where my first batch was full clingy goodness this batch is no head and flat as a tack. Now I did put the same amount of priming sugar in with both batchs so where it went wrong has got me beat. Now shaking the bottles does show some activity and as prior learning goes open the stubbies outside after shaking :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: this batch didn't even fizz up one bit. So there are going in a few box's to forget about for 6 months and when I get a chance I'll do a reat of batch one.

It might not be all lost, you could try soda stream? Our apprentice at work has been experimenting with it, because it has a little bit of precarbination it will take a little bit of experimentation to see what works, but with no secondary fermentation at all, soda stream sounds like it works pretty good.
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby Listo » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:22 pm

I got off call yesterday and was half clubbed up all day thinking of getting home and tasting my NZ pale ale to see how the hops experiment went. Looked nice and golden and had a thick creamy head (that doesn’t mean a lot to me, but does for others).
First sip was fairly strong, a little too much like an IPA I thought. By half a schooner, it was down the sink and it took a can and a half of goat to get the bitterness off the back of my tongue. I now have 46l of fertiliser. I believe the hops experiment was a failure :sad:
I’ll have to buy a 30 pack on my way home now
Listo
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Had a couple of stubbies of this Dutch Lager now it has aged a bit and the first one did taste pretty nice with the stubbie staying clingy but the second one wasn't the same and no matter of shaking the stubbie would leave a head.

So this batch is going down for 6 months atleast and when I get a chance I'll do another batch of that first lager brew I did. I don't think this is a ride off and it just needs time to mature.

Now the difference between the first and second brew I did with the first I bottled it pronto after it finished fermenting where with the second one I left it for a month. So that may be the cause of the slow maturation rate of this batch and lesson learnt to bottle the brew as soon as 3 readings show the same. I did try bulk priming with my apple cider runs but I went back to priming each bottle with the beer as the cider bottles were close to exploding bombs when opened.

A few years ago I read a PDF off a lager forum where it is said by putting a re-hydrated yeast in at the end of fermentation will aid in the second fermentation in the bottle so I tried that with the cider and found out it did work out too well :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:01 pm

KABOOMMMM!!!!!!
There is supposed to be an earth shattering KABOOM
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:31 pm

Went into the local HBS this morning to see if they finally got in that Aussie lager only to be told no shipment have turned up since November last year :angry-banghead:

The gal did say have a look at the discounted range where I saw a Beermakers Draught for $10 and a kg of the No.20 mix for $6 :handgestures-thumbupleft: I already had a cooper No.2 blend here so $16 for just under 30 litres of draught aint gunna break the bank :laughing-rolling:

Got the sg to 1040 which should result in a 4-5.5% beer and with the warmer weather could even be bottling next weekend :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:14 pm

Well what to say about this beer man for a quick ferment this has tirned to be a nice drop on ice and after going upto the shed for 3 more to put on ice the stubby still kept a head :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ok a 10940 SG and a finishing SG of 1005 does make a low alc beer but after a month of aging I won't say this is bad stuff more like get the beers on ice while I have ice

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby BigRig » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:28 pm

I was actually gifted 12L of a wheat beer which the father in law was not a fan of, I am also not a fan.

It's only enough for a 1/4 boiler charge so will need to combine it with something else. Any suggestions ?

I am guessing it will turn out like a wheat whiskey or am i on the wrong path ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:46 pm

Weet-bix
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun May 29, 2022 10:19 am

G'Day Guy's,
Well as my shed supply of homebrew beer was out of stock it was time to get a lager going so went to the local HBS and buggerall Morgans so went with a Coopers European Lager and got a kilo of wheat malt for something different :handgestures-thumbupleft: Used 2 off No.2 enhancers to get a SG of 1039 and I used a pack of S22 Lager yeast.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:26 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well went into my local HB shop[ and as they sell work gear bought a shirt, then she told me she was making deals today and buy 4 tins and the 5th one was free. :handgestures-thumbupleft: So we got onto my recipe of Coppers European Lager and a kilo of wheat malt in powdered form so the deal became but 2 tins one wheat malt and the second wheat malt is free :teasing-tease:

So took the offer and it does look like a 60 litre fermenter is going down of my lager :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Listo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:50 pm

G’day Bryan, how’s the beer brewing been going?

I’ve been slowly poking along with mine, I’ve now got myself a fermentation freezer and have started using pressure fermenting with temperature control and pure filtered water. I haven’t tried anything difficult yet, just Coopers Lager, but they’ve been some of the nicest brews I’ve made.

I’m not far off trying a few other beers once I go to a decent brew shop… Woolies is mine out here.

I’m probably jumping the gun, but now that I have decent beer, I thought I’d move back to spirits again before mastering the first target… please be patient with my stupid questions

Cheers
Listo
Listo
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:24 pm

G'Day Guy's,
On Tuesday thought why not just go get a Coppers Pale Ale and a No.2 Enchancer as it has now warmed up and beside my daughter got me a longneck stubbie cooler for xmas :laughing-rolling:

Now instead of using the supplied yeast I just used some of that US-05 yeast I got from the group buy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

1034 was the SG and checked this morning and down to 1010 :handgestures-thumbupleft: so working on a 1005 FG works out to 3.7% and with the second fermentation in the bottle 4.2% :obscene-drinkingchug: so this time no shed bombs. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Once you get that fridge shed sorted out Bryan we will be able to get you to start using cornie kegs
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:02 pm

Wellsy wrote:Once you get that fridge shed sorted out Bryan we will be able to get you to start using cornie kegs

Well I have been trying to get my moonshine to get this fridge going and made a new 1/2" burner and got the fill level spot on with the 2" copper vessel. Yeaserday only got the temp gauge I have stuck in the flue upto 74C but no cooling at all. So made a 3/4" burner and man it did look the goods :handgestures-thumbupleft: now as found the flue temp will stay on 75C then the reaction takes place only I found the moonshine didn't have enough heat grunt to complete the cycle :angry-banghead:

So I'm going to set it backup to gas and see if the original reg that clogged up with using house bottles finally dried out and a blow with compressed air did show it should work . :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As I just use my high pressure reg for my lpg work I went and found a few old BBQ reg's only to find on all of them the rubber seal on the end was dry as and just fell apart :angry-banghead: so no lpg testing :handgestures-thumbdown:

I did ask my local HBS about using corny kegs and the gal said they have their own setup type system that people love and as I'm back in the Bridge next week for work a call into their local HBS will bring back some old times and I can see what he has to offer.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:49 pm

Good luck.

After seeing my local HBS was adding about 70% margin on their corny kegs so I did not bother looking at anything else.

I have tried the plastic 8 litre ones and found they work well and are designed to pour when on their sides which suits some fridges. I believe they are about to release a 4 litre version as well. That can be a cheap way to experiment as to whether kegged beer is for you or not mate.

I always worried bout it going stale but I am drinking stuff 6 months since first starting the keg and have not found any issues. Biggest issue is no empties to tell you how many you have had and that can be a trap, but hell I like to live dangerously :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby Listo » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:52 pm

How much are you seeing corny kegs for Wellsy?
I had a look at eBay for new ones and they’ve certainly gone up through zzz-homebrew that I use a bit.
I found some 25l kegs that fit in my kegerator that I was interested in because I waste what doesn’t go in the keg, but it was $540 delivered here for 2. I’d love a couple, but not that much
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:15 pm

Kegland have the corny kegs 19 litres for 99:00 that is about the best price I have found for new ones. Delivery is not as bad if you get a few bits and pieces, or perhaps a couple close by could combine an order
Wellsy

Postby Birdman85 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:26 pm

Hey Wellsy, a few mates of mine home brew in kegs and they have a whiteboard on the side of their keg fridge that they put a tick on when they pour a coldy, that way they know when to start the next ferment and how much theyve got left.

I've been really enjoying my spirit making adventures, i think i'm going to have another go at beer (havent done a beer brew for nearly 15 years). I have a few crates of crown top longnecks lines up and i just have to decide what Pale Ale recipe i want to follow.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:01 am

Yep it can be tricky when you run out unexpectedly lol

You can buy a Bluetooth scale that links to a program that outputs to a TV that can display how many litres are left in each keg. Cost is about 500 per keg lol. I would rather buy more brew or distill gear.

I brought a brewzilla 35 for my beer making and will be using it to do some single malt scotch once the weather gets a little cooler

Beer making is as big a rabbit hole as distilling
Wellsy

Postby Birdman85 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:43 pm

I just out down my first home brew in nearly15 years (I'm only 37).

I put down a kolsh style beer. Morgan's pilsener with a German yeast and hallertau hops. I hope it's not undrinkable. Looking for a lawnmowing summer style beer.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

PreviousNext

Return to Beer & Wine