Does avg wine make ok Brandy?

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Does avg wine make ok Brandy?

Postby R3dRanga » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:58 pm

Hi all,

I have a friend who's a wine maker and he's just given me a 20L barrel of wine that's apparently not good enough for his label. He said it's been sitting for a while and needs running before it turns to vinegar.

Maybe I've watched too many episodes of Moonshiners, but I accepted the wine thinking I could pull out the copper mesh in my Boka and run it more of a pot still to get a brandy.

I have no clue on this, so happy to accept any advice.
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Re: Does avg wine make ok Brandy?

Postby RC Al » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:38 pm

Yup, pot still for brandy, cut into small amounts and get your (assumed brandy snob) mate in to say what he likes in the various jars, nothing to loose for either of you and hopefully you both gain some insight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:07 am

Had the same thing happen to me Red. My wine was left overs they used to top up the barrels each year. Distilled it and made cuts, went on mouth feel as much as taste when doing the cuts.
Straight off the still it is grappa, tasted like absolute crap that burnt your throat at40%. Gave a bottle to a Greek friend who told me best he has ever had.
Put some on oak and some in bottles. 12 months on grappa isdrinkable but not enjoyable and aged 65% diluted back to 40% blows your head off. It gets better after a few weeks of dilution.
Iwill be leaving it another 12 months.
Many on here say that brandy needs 2 years.
Everyone’s taste is different and you may find the wine drinkers who don’t like bourbon scotch love the stuff.
Go for it you have nothing to loose
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:05 am

R3dRanga wrote:pull out the copper mesh in my Boka and run it more of a pot still.

Be careful doing this.
If you see steam coming out the top you will need to stop.
If its a 5 Star Boka ? They are not designed to run as a pot still, thats why we sell the pot head option.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby JammL » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:35 pm

Wellsy wrote:Had the same thing happen to me Red. My wine was left overs they used to top up the barrels each year. Distilled it and made cuts, went on mouth feel as much as taste when doing the cuts.
Straight off the still it is grappa, tasted like absolute crap that burnt your throat at40%. Gave a bottle to a Greek friend who told me best he has ever had.
Put some on oak and some in bottles. 12 months on grappa isdrinkable but not enjoyable and aged 65% diluted back to 40% blows your head off. It gets better after a few weeks of dilution.
Iwill be leaving it another 12 months.
Many on here say that brandy needs 2 years.
Everyone’s taste is different and you may find the wine drinkers who don’t like bourbon scotch love the stuff.
Go for it you have nothing to loose

Haha, I too have a Greek friend who likes stronger drinks :)
And in general I can't imagine a 65% strength drink - I can fly into "space" after 100g :-D
JammL

equipment: Brewzilla

Return to Beer & Wine