Kegging Beer

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Kegging Beer

Postby Listo » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks Wellsy. I’ve been wondering how to get it going thinking I was doing something wrong because my mate said there’s 8 schooners left in a 23l wort after kegging and he just drinks them straight out the fermenter. Seems to me now, that he’s just easier pleased than others
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby iOnaBender » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:33 am

If you're itching to taste your latest creation in a keg it can be force carbonated in 5-10 minutes.

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Wellsy » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:20 am

There are many ways to speed up the process.
I would initially doing things the standard and simplest way, just to make sure you get the levels right. To much gas can mean it is impossible to pour the beer without loosing half of it to froth.

Lots of mistakes can be made that lead to that so best to limit the options initially. Hell you can even misread the bar pressure chart as the psi chart and have the beer trying to be poured at 18psi don’t ask me how I know that can happen lol.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby iOnaBender » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:08 pm

Whatever way you do it is fine as long as the end product is the tits!

Watched many a purchased barrel get poured as "ice cream" in the younger days.

After setting up to brew beer and getting a kegerator, all I know is they're a deadly piece of equipment.....just one more, just one more, before you go inside bouncing off the sliding door frame and internal walls! Then get the evil looks from the missus :laughing-rolling:

Cranking that handle is far too inviting.

For that reason I haven't brewed since moving in to QLD. However, I have 3 fresh wort boxes, better get to it....I'd hate for them to go off! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
Last edited by iOnaBender on Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Listo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:54 pm

Funny you say that Wellsy, I’ve had to buy another carton today because I’m pouring froth. Now rather than having flat beer, I’m burping an over carbed keg :angry-banghead:
Listo
Site Donor

Postby B-Man » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:14 pm

I have just been brewing the extract cans. does a decent job.

been having a hell of a time trying to rig the new keezer up without gas leaks. I have put it on the back burner for the last month.

Also NFI on force carbing the kegs. always taste flat and end up overcarbed. I have resorted to just letting them condition for 2 weeks.

tried getting some soft drink and a premix in the keg going but they just taste flat or pour foam.
Just another project I put in the too hard basket.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:19 am

B man stick with it mate. I am paranoid about gas leaks so turn my bottle off. I chased a nine existent gas leak for a few days initially until I realised the leak was actually the gas being absorbed by the beer, rookie mistake lol.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby B-Man » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:40 pm

Wellsy wrote:B man stick with it mate. I am paranoid about gas leaks so turn my bottle off. I chased a nine existent gas leak for a few days initially until I realised the leak was actually the gas being absorbed by the beer, rookie mistake lol.

haha,
Mine is an actual gas leak. setup all the gas turned bottle off and everything has dropped overnight and dont even have freezer turned on yet. Cant get any fittings to bubble after spraying soapy water, everything I can put in water has been and no leak visible.
redone every fitting and still leaks...

been sitting there 2 or 3 months waiting for the gas to be fixed so i can put the kegs in there.
don't get me started in my crappy tig welds that leak through some non existent hole too. I feel like not back purging it is half the issue but I just cant seem to get it better trying to back purge apart from waste all my gas. thats about to go on the back burner again aswell
B-Man

Postby iOnaBender » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:16 pm

haha,
Mine is an actual gas leak. setup all the gas turned bottle off and everything has dropped overnight and dont even have freezer turned on yet. Cant get any fittings to bubble after spraying soapy water, everything I can put in water has been and no leak visible.

been sitting there 2 or 3 months waiting for the gas to be fixed so i can put the kegs in there.
don't get me started in my crappy tig welds that leak through some non existent hole too. I feel like not back purging it is half the issue but I just cant seem to get it better trying to back purge apart from waste all my gas. thats about to go on the back burner again aswell[/quote]

B-Man,

No guru TIG welder here, but I've spent some time around a few! On any tig weld (especially sanitary, back purge or not) when you come to the end of the full lap don't extingush arc in the molten pool. Roll your wrist to drag out arc length for 10-20mm then kill the arc if it hasn't done it itself already. If you finish in the molten pool. that little dark spot is 8/10 a small pin hole.

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Trento » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:47 pm

Hey B-man, I chased leaks in mine for a while and found a couple of issue you could look for.
1) I have CMB disconnects and the top of it had a very small leak near where the big slot is. I mixed up some tarzan's grip and spread that all over the top of it.
2) The gas post o-ring on my soda water keg wasn't quiet sealing inside the disconnect. Bit of grease and that fixed that problem.
3) One of my disconnects was slightly cocked on the post and that was letting gas escape.

haha,

don't get me started in my crappy tig welds that leak through some non existent hole too. I feel like not back purging it is half the issue but I just cant seem to get it better trying to back purge apart from waste all my gas. thats about to go on the back burner again aswell[/quote]
Trento

equipment: Trying to work that out.

Postby The Stig » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:09 pm

I use lube everywhere :happy-partydance: :romance-kisscheek:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby B-Man » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 am

iOnaBender wrote:No guru TIG welder
Roll your wrist to drag out arc length for 10-20mm then kill the arc if it hasn't done it itself already. If you finish in the molten pool. that little dark spot is 8/10 a small pin hole.
Cheers

Yeah know that and always check. 90% of the time I don't get the pinhole. Not too bad until it's an awkward position.

The Stig wrote:I use lube everywhere :happy-partydance: :romance-kisscheek:

Yeah they got a good lubing

Trento wrote:Hey B-man, I chased leaks in mine for a while and found a couple of issue you could look for.
1) I have CMB disconnects and the top of it had a very small leak near where the big slot is. I mixed up some tarzan's grip and spread that all over the top of it.
2) The gas post o-ring on my soda water keg wasn't quiet sealing inside the disconnect. Bit of grease and that fixed that problem.
3) One of my disconnects was slightly cocked on the post and that was letting gas escape.

:twisted:

Haven't even hooked a keg up yet on the new keezer. Need to spend some time trouble shooting each line one at a time but haven't got the time. And the xmas period gets crazy.
B-Man

Postby iOnaBender » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:38 am

I bet you do!!

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:41 am

Happy Birthday Stig and I reckon the above must be true as 101 years old :scared-eek:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:39 am

iOnaBender wrote:

I bet you do!!

Cheers

:laughing-rolling:

RuddyCrazy wrote:

Happy Birthday Stig and I reckon the above must be true as 101 years old :scared-eek:

I wondered who would pickup on that :-B
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:20 pm

The Stig wrote:
iOnaBender wrote:

I bet you do!!

Cheers

:laughing-rolling:

RuddyCrazy wrote:

I wondered who would pickup on that :-B

Look on the bright side mate if beardrinkshomebrew aint had too many he may just come in and G'Day youngster :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Listo » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:16 pm

Thanks to the Scorchers playing early today, I’m having an early sample and it’s pouring well.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Listo on Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listo
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:23 pm

Congrats Listo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Listo » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:38 pm