Hop Flowers

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Hop Flowers

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:34 am

Has anyone brewed with the Nelson Sauvign flowers yet?

I'm absolutely loving them, i've been drinking a keg a week of Ross's Nelson Summer Ale.

Thinking of getting a pack of Cascade flowers next. :think:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Re: Hop Flowers

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Hey 5Star,

Never heard of Nelson Sauvgin.

Have used Cascade a few times but only in pellet form.

Have you tried Galaxy hops at all?

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Hop Flowers

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Haven't had a chance to yet. Have to get the apple cider out of my fermenters first. Will hopefully put a couple of brews down tomorrow with it
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby home_brewer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm

hey 5Star where are you getting your flowers from
home_brewer

equipment: 2in pot
in progress
2"vm
4" bubbler
bigger boiler maby 80l

Postby SCBandit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 pm

HI,

I have used Nelson Sauvgin & Cascade pellets in beer to make a beautiful Fat Yak. I have seen some tea bgs with bits of stem & flower in it but never all flowers. Would be real interested in that. SOme amarillo hops as well Yum :handgestures-thumbupleft: :dance:
SCBandit

equipment: Air still, reflux Still

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 pm

5Star wrote:Has anyone brewed with the Nelson Sauvign flowers yet?

I'm absolutely loving them, i've been drinking a keg a week of Ross's Nelson Summer Ale.

Thinking of getting a pack of Cascade flowers next. :think:

I fucking love this hop with the passion of a thousand suns. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

My Little Creatures Pale Ale clone revolves around this in the boil and dry hopped late in the fermentation.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:36 pm

home_brewer wrote:hey 5Star where are you getting your flowers from

I get these flowers. I have these delivered from Qld and I use them late, dry hopping to preserve the floral notes:
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Finally kegged the beer I used the Nelson with. It was just a can of Coopers pilsenser goo with 32g of the flowers in a hop ball (thats all I could cram in!) steeped for 10 min then ball added to fermenter.

When I kegged it Punkins right like a glass of fruit salad!

First time I have ever used flowers, only ever used pellets before. Amazed at how much came across with suck little weight. :dance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby R-sole » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:00 am

I am impressed with the smoothness offered by the flowers over pellets.
The pellets seem to bring a more harsh and discordanant note rather than blending like the flowers. Still a strong flavour but like brewed coffee rather than instant.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 am

5Star wrote:I am impressed with the smoothness offered by the flowers over pellets.
The pellets seem to bring a more harsh and discordanant note rather than blending like the flowers. Still a strong flavour but like brewed coffee rather than instant.

I agree, I think the pelletizing process robs them of a lot of the floral/botanical qualities and leaves you with a bittering hop. I guess that didn't matter back in the early days, hops where for preserving the beer and bittering the beer. But yes flowers in an ale gives you that mango/stone fruit nose without the bitterness.

Little things like a pinch of hops and a decent liquid yeast transform even the quickest Kit&Kilo beer into better than most shit you buy on the shelves.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Return to Beer & Wine