Getting into BIAB - What Size Pot??

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Getting into BIAB - What Size Pot??

Postby Heffers » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi team,

I am looking at having a go at BIAB for both a nice drinking beer and also for distilling beers in the chase for a whiskey worthy of ageing / enjoying.

I have fermenters of various sizes ( 20L, 60L & 200L ) and 4 x 19L kegs ( ex Asahi ) which I would like to set to purpose.

I have had very limited experience with brewing ( a few kits of beer and a few ginger beers ) but am always keen to dive in head first and have a go.

My question is, should I start out with a 40L pot for brewing in the BIAB method or have some of you wished you had have gone bigger from the get go? I have a bit of birthday money here and can extend to a 70L from ebay which are about $150 ish. The 40L aren't all that much cheaper but I am concerned about the size issues (not sure if 70L too big or 40L too small). I have a four burner gas ring and intend to rig a shroud for the pot when I'm mashing to conserve heat. I also have access to and the skills to use a sewing machine so I can fabricate a custom bag to suit the pot.

Please remember that this is not only for batch drinking beers but will also evolve into larger scale for distilling (once I have the hang of BIAB)

Any experiences from you knowledgeable gurus will be well received.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Re: Getting into BIAB - What Size Pot??

Postby crow » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I use to brew in a laundry copper before I got lazy/ over the inconsitant results . Anyway hard the beat , they come up on ebay all the time ,gas,electric and wood fire :twocents-mytwocents:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Getting into BIAB - What Size Pot??

Postby home_brewer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:49 pm

I use a 50l keg with the top cut out and a craftbrewer bag for single batches 23l, but i think you can get away with the keg for double batches 40 to 45l
home_brewer

equipment: 2in pot
in progress
2"vm
4" bubbler
bigger boiler maby 80l

Return to Beer & Wine