Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: Seems quiet

Postby reknaw » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:59 am

Sorry Andy I don't brew beer.........
reknaw

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:56 am

Spud1700 wrote:Sorry Andy I don't brew beer.........

Neither do I but I was thinking that I might start so I have some "soft" drinks by summer.

kimbo wrote:Hey Guys,
If anyone is interested, i've just bottled a Ginger beer brew :D
which i'm happy to talk about.

Go for it, start a new topic and tell us all about it
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Frank » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:05 am

Well, if using kits for brewing beer counts....then I've been doing it off and on (mainly on ;) ) for the last 15 years. I like beer lots and reckon most available, cheap, commercial beer is crap... so its a 'no brainer' here :)
Using HBS kits, its about 80cents or $1 a tallie for fine stuff and really easy. But its not distilling :? Otherwise happy to add to the discourse here, if I can :P .
Frank

Postby rumby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 am

Hi gents,

I have been brewing beer for a few years & the only time I drink commerical beer is at the pub etc.

I used to brew all types of beers, but the only type I make now, is a similar beer to Tooheys Old, but since I brought the new rig, I have only bottled one double brew in the last few months. (But it has allowed it to sit for 6months now, it never used to last that long,)
Frank what type of beer do you like.

The missus loves the ginger beer, I only bottle it in plastic, its a bit sweet for more, but very refreshing after mowing the lawn.

I was just giving 3 SS kegs (proper ones, not the ones some people uses as boilers) , that someone had a keg system set up, I would love to set up a gun & temprite, do you know much about it.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby Frank » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm

rumby wrote:Frank what type of beer do you like.

cold :lol: Actually Rumby I've tried many kits from Coopers, Morgans, Muntons, Brigalow, Tooheys, Cascade and Blackrock. At the end of the day, its all about personal taste (for sure) but I can say that you usually get what you pay for ; ie cheaper $ is cheaper tasting etc.

My favourites are from Muntons (they seem to use the best hops and are serious flavours, but the yeasts work best in 18-22C) esp their Traditional Bitter, IPA and Export Stout AND Coopers ('top range', I think its called Thomas Cooper Selection) Heritage Lager, Sparkling Ale and Pilsener. Apparently, Malt Shovel do a great range too but haven't tried them (yet :) ) I haven't kegged any in ages (not really practical where I am) but agree that even in the bottle it improves over a least 6 months, sometimes 12 months. The trick is to leave it somewhere dark, constantly cool and undisturbed. If it helps I reckon it is ALWAYS important to use dextrose or , preferably, powdered/liquid malt extracts rather than sugar too. Re gingerbeer have you tried 'Colony West brand (from WA I think)? IMO its so much better than Morgans and Coopers, for instance.
Frank

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Well Frank I'm impressed, you seem to have the fermenting side of things wired...... now I'm going to start asking you beer questions.. :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby rumby » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:50 am

Cool Frank,

I mainly use the Morgans, (HBS must get it cheaper & they make more profit, but I am happy with it). I totally agree with the dextrose. I use 1kg of dextrose & a body brew which 200g dark malt & 300g light malt & 500g corn syrup(for a 46l , it seems to improve the flavour & help the head quality.)

I will give the Muntons a go, I tried a new one called Wally's, something like that, it is again a stout.

Is the colony west brand in a really tall slim green & yellow tin. I was reading on one of the other beer topics,that someone uses honey,which gets rid of the sweetner taste,which is why I dont really drink it anymore. It is sickly sweet, but plenty of gas and the grated ginger give it a ping.

I have had a few goes at apple cider, with not great success, it holds no head & is a bit watery, I follow the instruction & put 2l of godd quality fresh apple juice. Last time we where in New Zealand, tried the Monteith Apple Cider at the brewery, to die for, my missus loves it, but it is expensive. The brewery says they only use fresh apple & no concretrate and because of this cant keep up production. Any suggestions?
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:53 am

Hi Rumby, for sure there is nothing wrong with Morgans (some of the flavours and enhancers anyway) its just that I reckon some other brands have better quality hops, yeasts etc in the 'kit'. Yep Colony West is the Green/Yellow striped tin. I mentioned it because its a totally different kind of 'sweet'. I think its due to the sugar/sugar substitiute they use (perhaps check side of tin? :?) IMO nothing beats making ginger beer yourself using home grown ginger root, lemon juice etc. Its just that I found that in the subtropics the temps were too high most of the time for the alcoholic product to age in the bottle (think BANG :o etc) so I only now make a softdrink version when I've got the ingredients in season here. BTW for anyone who may not have considered this...one other really important thing regarding home brew is the type of water used. NEVER use treated (in cities and big towns its commonly called potable) tap water. Believe me, I know what they put in it (in Brisbane anyway :x )!! I use filtered rainwater here but used to buy springwater. 'Soft' water makes ALL the difference. Oh..and re apple cider...well, I once went on a two day cider bender with Real Ale tragics in England (called CAMRA) and I dont think I've ever gone near the stuff since :lol: Good luck with it though.
Frank

Postby Frank » Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 pm

Hey Rumby (et al?) I've now got another 'tested and approved' kit beer that is truly a good one ...Its called Mt Mellick Irish Cream Ale (from Muntons) and I made it with a mix of light powdered malt and corn syrup. Its a winner ;)
Frank

Postby R-sole » Wed May 04, 2011 5:11 am

I too have been brewing kit extracts for close to thirty years (i don't generally drink spirits) and have got it down pretty pat now. I drink a bit more than a can a week ;)

Best thing i ever did was set up my kegging system. If your still bottling and you drink lots of beer, your wasting time and drinking less uniform than you should.

My absolute favourite , especially for summer drinking, is the Thomas coopers Wheat Beer. Brilliant easy drinking, consistent from batch to batch and everyone who's tried it reckons they'd buy it at the pub. :D 8-)

I use 1.2kg of dextrose per can and do a double batch (2 kegs)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Wed May 04, 2011 8:37 am

i am tossing up moving to kegs for my beer, but i just dont drink enough to really need it.....
i also like the portability of bottles

currently really enjoying a all Amarillo pale ale (all grain)
recently also did a all sazz pilsner (but on ale yeast) that has come out amazingly clear and bright for a bottled home brew (for me anyway)

you guys doing kits should consider AG using the BIAB method, my beer has improved 500% over kits for little extra effort
maheel

Postby Frank » Wed May 04, 2011 8:53 am

maheel wrote: you guys doing kits should consider AG using the BIAB method,

I'll consider anything if I know what it actually means :? :lol: AG? BIAB? Apologies for my lack of knowledge but could you please give me some clarity here?
Frank

Postby R-sole » Wed May 04, 2011 10:04 am

AG= all grain, BIAB = brew in a bag (search you tube).

It's the expense and the time that i can't justify. I drink 20-25 litres a week.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 pm

5Star wrote: I drink 20-25 litres a week.

:mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

I'm moving in with you!!!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frank » Sat May 07, 2011 9:14 pm

5Star wrote:I drink 20-25 litres a week.
Hey 5Star, well......what can I say :o I'd love to do the same but my dad always said quality over quantity is the key and, besides, I'm just jealous re your capacity and my ability etc :oops: . What other kit flavours do you recommend???
Frank

Postby R-sole » Sun May 08, 2011 6:10 am

I have trouble now getting the ones i like. I'm in a country town and even though i've contacted manufacturers and distributors, they will only sell by the pallet when i'm only looking to buy by the dozen :evil:

Wander make some fine kits. Their lager was my mainstay for many years. Their Wheat Beer was the one that got me started trying all on the market when my local Big W stopped stocking it. The Thomas Coopers was the only decent wheat beer i came up with after that.

At the moment i'm choking down Tooheys Draught kits as i just can't resist em at woolies when i see em for $8 and buy the whole shelf, even though they turn out 'home brewy'.

Once i start on something i like, i don't experiment much so it's wheat beer all the time for me.

I used to drink only stout, but got sick of wiping black shit halfway up my arse every morning twenty years ago :lol: :lol: :roll: :ugeek:
R-sole

Return to Beer & Wine