Thought I'd share my favourite IPA recipe...

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Thought I'd share my favourite IPA recipe...

Postby TBone » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Gentlemen,

At the time of writing I have little to offer in ways of knowledge towards distillation as I'm early in my journey in that respect. However although not considered a master at brewing...nor am I a novice. In the spirit of contribution and sharing of knowledge I'd like to pass along a recipe I hold near and dear to my heart which has consistently provided me a very tasty home brew that pleases my palate. If you are of a similar nature to me, and enjoy hops, then I hope you will share in this experience and also pass along the results of your labour.

TBones hoppy bottle conditioned ale.

Target OG: 1.062
Target FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.5%
IBU's: 85
Batch size: 23 litres

Grain bill.

5.5 kilos pale malt, 2 row.
.55 kilos Munich malt.
.25 kilos cara pils/cara foam.
.25 kilos melanoiden malt.
.25 kilos light crystal malt.

Hops.

(As a note here you can play with whatever hops you like. I'd encourage you to find a balance to your liking that gives a good representation between "dank" & "tropical fruity")

As an example I used USA citra, NZ grown chinook, and NZ grown cascade. All equally split for clarification.

60 minute bittering addition...30 grams.
15 minute addition... 30 grams.
10 minute addition... 45 grams.
5 minute addition... 45 grams.
Flame out addition... 45 grams.
Dry hop for 5 days... 90 grams.

Other notes:

Mashed at 152 for 70 minutes. I used PH stabiliser in the mash. Used Irish moss at 10 minutes. Yeast used was safale us-05 which was rehydrated prior to pitching.

No fancy tricks here's guys, and just basic equipment used. No secondary fermentation either...I waited until fermentation was near over before adding the dry hops so no worries or issues with oxidation.

The US-05 is a beast and takes care of attenuation nicely.

After a few weeks bottle conditioning this beer is awesome! Nice appearance, good mouth feel, huge hop taste and aroma, and despite good attenuation from the yeast there's a nice balance from the other malts which help out a lot.

I've also used US-04 with good results...so give that a try as well.

If you brew it let me know how it goes!

And feel free to ask any questions...I'd be happy to help.

TBone
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Re: Thought I'd share my favourite IPA recipe...

Postby Linny » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 pm

That's a lot of grain and hops. How much does a batch usually coat ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Smbjk » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:33 am

I all grain brew and I'd have to say $50-60 at a guess if you just buy it all from hbs. Order the hops and grain in bulk it will be heaps cheaper :handgestures-thumbupleft: you will get approx 2 ctns worth or pure amber gold like nothing you can buy at the shops. I and a few of my mates can smash a good hoppy amber ale keg in an arvo no probs :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby TBone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:13 am

It is admittedly not the cheapest brew...but it's on regular rotation in my brew list. Again it really depends on your approach to your brewing. For me I don't stress to much if a recipe swings a bit towards more expensive...because my next one often is more reasonable. It does balance in the end.

It's worth a brew!

Here's a pic of the finished product.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Postby wedwards » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:49 pm

$60 for a batch of good Homebrew ain't really that expensive considering you get 2-2.5 slabs worth of finished product that is better than any generic commercial swill.

I made a 250IBU thing recently (just cos we could) that was 3 times the cost due to hops cost but it was so worth it for an occasional super hopped bottle of joy :)
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 am

Good receipe mate,,copied to my notes,might try it this summer. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Return to Beer & Wine