Extra Strong Vintage Ale K&K

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Extra Strong Vintage Ale K&K

Postby Jimmy1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:40 pm

I made this kit beer up a couple of months ago and it is the best kit I have ever made.
I got the recipe out of Beer and Brewer magazine, and if I need a quick beer brewing fix and swing towards a kit agian it will definetely be making this one.

Ingredients:
1 tin of coopers Australian pale ale
1 tin of coopers Real Ale
1kg Dextrose
30g Nelson Sauvin pellets (dry hopped)

Method:
Making sure everything has been thoroughly sterilised before I start, I mix the dextrose and a few liters of water straight out of the tank in a 5L plastic bucket and stir until all disolved. Pour into fermenter.
Then I empty the 1st tin into the bucket and pour two tins worth of cold water straight out of the tank into the bucket as well, then I half fill the tin with boiling water to melt the last of the goo in the tin. then I mix it thoroughly so it is entirely mixed in. (This method aviods too much sediment in your bottles at the end IMHO). Pour into fermenter.
Repeat process with second tin. and once in the ferment give it a thorough stir.
Top fermenter up with cold tank water to the 21L mark and throw bag of hops in and pitch both yeast sachets on top of the wort. I didnt worry about rehydrating the yeast in this brew because I was under the impression that the beer wouldn't be that good (boy was I wrong).
I fermented this out at 20deg in a temp controlled fridge for approx two weeks (until FG stablised) then dropped the temp to 10deg for a week to settle the sediments.
Bottled as normal and left it 20deg for secondary fermentation and ageing for five weeks until tonight :D
The final alcohol is 7.5%ABV.

NB the reason I use tank water is our town water is straight out of the river and I'm worried about infections. And I only use a minimum of hot water so the temp doesn't start out too warm for fermentation. I also think a small amount of malt extract (200g) would build the body and maybe (100g) of wheat malt would be better for head retention. Also would love to try with an ale yeast.
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Re: Extra Strong Vintage Ale K&K

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Jimmy1 wrote:.....
Ingredients:
1 tin of coopers Australian pale ale
1 tin of coopers Real Ale
1kg Dextrose
I fermented this out at 20deg in a temp controlled fridge for approx two weeks (until FG stablised) then dropped the temp to 10deg for a week to settle the sediments.
The final alcohol is 7.5%ABV.

Hi Jimmy1
sounds like an interesting brew and I'd love to have a go myself at some stage.
I'm a bit confused though (I am confused a lot actually BTW :oops: )...how'd the fermentation of the coopers yeasts like being at 20deg C??? They almost always advise around mid 20s in the instructions, I thought?
Also, do you know if its using two tins that gets the ABV to 7.5% as I would imagine that 1kg dextrose with 21litres and one tin wouldn't??
BTW have you tried Coopers Light Malt Extract (liquid, 1 litre tin) or similar. It aint cheap but its really good for top range Coopers kits. ;)
Frank

Postby maheel » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:53 pm

personally i like my ales at 17' C in the temp fridge
about day 5 i go up to 20"c
and then drop them down to 3"c for a few days to clear them a bit.

the coopers yeast is "ok" but i would take it a step further and use something like Safale US-05 and throw away the kit yeast.
the yeast in the kit is not the same as the CPA yeast that they use at the factory

you can actually buy a few tallies of CPA and collect the yeast and build it up to a starter to use in their "can O brew"

Frank, the yeast would most likely be "happier" at 20' than 25+
this "toucan " beer idea is pretty common in the home brew beer world :)

i have turned into a beersnob doing all grain but IMO good temp control and maybe a change in yeast (especially for any larger) on coopers can make a dam good brew.
dry hopping makes them tasty :shifty:
maheel

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:09 am

I boil the tank water to make beer do not bother when making a wash as will not be kept as long .
wynnum1

Postby Jimmy1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:58 pm

G'day Frank,
When I started brewing my kits colder I had trouble going to the pubs with mates because my beer at home is better IMO, it takes away the fruity esters (I think that is how it is spelt) and removes alot of that "homebrew" taste that turns peoples noses when you offer them their brew. The higher temps mentioned on the can must be the "safe" temps so poeple dont get worried with the slower ferments colder temps produce but the less yeast is stressed the better.
To be honest I didn't work out the ABV [(OG-FG)/7.46+0.5=approx%] but I had two in one night and I was glowing, yay for me :laughing-rolling:
Also I haven't tried the LME but I really should, but I have been making AG which hasn't disapointed either.
Maheel I brewed this ale at the higher temp because I was under the impression that I needed a bit of a fruity taste like a pom beer, but I think I may lean towards your temps (you never let me down with the LCPA clone on AHB) and brew an AG old ale a bit cooler to see how that baby turns out.
Wynnum it was only the other night actually I was reading how much bacteria can grow in an average tank and since then I will be boiling my beer water first then let it back to mashing temp. I'm surprised I never got an infection to date without boiling it first.
Jimmy1

25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:30 am

Putting both yeast sachets also makes a big difference .
wynnum1

Postby maheel » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 am

Jimmy1 wrote:I was under the impression that I needed a bit of a fruity taste like a pom beer.

yeah good call on yeast and flavors, i am a bit slack with changing temps to see what the yeast does :)

that LCPA clone is a pretty good beer :obscene-drinkingcheers: what i like best about it is it's simple not many ingredients so less chance of me messing it up.
gotta grab some time and make another batch :)
maheel

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:18 pm

maheel wrote:you can actually buy a few tallies of CPA and collect the yeast and build it up to a starter to use in their "can O brew"
Frank, the yeast would most likely be "happier" at 20' than 25+

As for reusing yeast, my fave Stout uses a kit of Muntons Export Stout and the yeast from two Coopers Best Extra Stout Stubbies along with a kg of 'hop added' dark malt powder. Its a real K&K winner (think winter, fireplace, no work tomorrow :) and a tasty stout :dance: ) So, I'm keen on working with this one Jimmy1.

Re 20C, Maheel I know that low temps keep beer yeasts from 'straining/overworking' etc but I am pleasantly surprised that a 'typical Coopers' yeast will run at that temp or slightly less and fully ferment rather than go to sleep :?.
Anyway, I know what I'm brewing next!! Thanx Jimmy1 ;)
Frank

Postby maheel » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Frank wrote:
Re 20C, Maheel I know that low temps keep beer yeasts from 'straining/overworking' etc but I am pleasantly surprised that a 'typical Coopers' yeast will run at that temp or slightly less and fully ferment rather than go to sleep :?.
Anyway, I know what I'm brewing next!! Thanx Jimmy1 ;)

i am sure (well drunken stuper sure ) that the yeast in some coopers kits might be a blend of ale and larger (and other?) yeast types i saw it somewhere .
allowing the kits to work across a lot of temp variance etc

it's a smart business man that creates a good product and can get it to work all over the place eg bottom of Tassie to the tip of QLD :)
got to take my hat of to the Coopers mob, great beer, great kits and quality equipment for the HB'r :clap:
had some CPA on tap last night YUM !!

edit:
a snip from another forum about coopers kit
The Original Series (Lager, Real Ale, Draught, Bitter, Stout and Dark Ale) are all ale yeasts.
International Series Canadian Blonde is ale.
International Series Bavarian Lager and Brewmaster Selection Pilsener are Saflager (P is stamped next to useby date).
Brewmaster Selection Wheat Beer is a wheat beer yeast (W next to useby date).
Brewmaster Selection Nut Brown Ale is (was, as it's now discontinued) an ale yeast (but different to the Original Series yeast).
Brewmaster Selection India Pale Ale is an ale yeast, but I'm not sure what type.
The Irish Stout comes with an ale yeast.
The International Series Mexican Cerveza is an ale/lager blend

- Original series. Original Coopers kit yeast, possibly the Mauri B512 strain.
- Canadian Blonde: Original Coopers kit yeast.
- Bavarian Lager, Pilsner: Saflager S-189 (not the more common S-23)
- Wheat Beer: Safale K-97
- Nut Brown Ale, IPA: Safbrew S-33
- Pale Ale, Australian Sparkling Ale, Heritage Draught, Australian Bitter, Traditional Lager: Ale yeast + Saflager S-189
maheel

Postby Jimmy1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:51 pm

The mixtures of yeast in a sachet makes sense Maheel I was noting to the wifey how different the yeast looked in a sachet, from an amber colour to near pale like a bread yeast. I never put it down to be for the wide temp ferments across australia.
You will not be dissapointed with this ale Frank... matter of fact I'm sipping on one right now :D
Jimmy1

25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

[quote="Frank"
Anyway, I know what I'm brewing next!! Thanx Jimmy1 ;)[/quote]
So..and then I didn't :roll:

.....BUT I did some months later and now I'm onto my third tallie (honestly officer) and the verdict is :clap: :dance: :text-woo: : :text-givemebeer: etc.....

Cheers Jimmy1 and if anyone else K&K brews here, try it!
Frank

Return to Beer & Wine