Beer headaches?

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Beer headaches?

Postby jord4231 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Hey all

Forgive me if this isn't the best section to post this

Does any one suffer beer headaches ?
I've found it for a while now If I have a 2 or more beers say if I'm out to lunch give it a few hours and I've got a ripping headache.
But If I keep drinking beer 6 or more I'm fine
Only happens with beer not spirits

Can beer, bottled beer, all brands, home brew and beer on tap from the pub!

Today I had 2 beers with lunch (12pm) at the pub 340ml Carlton draft around 2pm headache starting 8:10pm at night still a headache and very sleepy its like I've been drinking all night and hangover kind of headache
jord4231

equipment: Reflux still

Re: Beer headaches?

Postby 1 2many » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Sounds to me like your not hydrating yourself properly, Drink plenty of water that will help. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby jord4231 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:18 pm

That's a good point , I tend to drink my spirits with sodastream coke (lots of water there)
I did find one night I drank a excess LOT of water and the headache cleared but it hasn't worked so well again since
jord4231

Postby Triangle » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Drinking beer during the day doesn't seem to agree with me, beer in general leaves me bloated though. Not so much as a headache as the day seems to have ended early for me! Beers in the fridge at my place are for the guests and not me!
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Beer Belly » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Funny, this is a conversation me and a couple of mates were having the other day at work. We were calling it the 6 pack headache.
We all found that if we had any amount under 6 beers, we all had the same sort of "hangover symptoms", or at least the immediate headache. But, if we had any more than that we were fine, even the next morning. Because we all drink a different brand, we thought it was uncanny that we were all suffering the same symptoms. I pretty much think it's because they make sh*t, no mater what brand of beer you drink.
This has been happening to me for a few years, and was a major reason for giving the booze away for quite some time.

Until now of course, i can make my own spirit and haven't suffered from the headache so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BB
Beer Belly

equipment: FSD Equalizer Modular Still
100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements
and some other bits and pieces.

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:49 pm

I have the same thing, but have put it down to having 6 or more the alcohol will last longer so the hangover is delayed, but when you have 2 or 3 the hangover or comedown happens faster because it is metabolized faster.

After 6 I usually have a sleep or keep going so I think the comedown happens whilst asleep...

Does that even make sense 8-}
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bt1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:49 am

Big beer drinker, I'd always put it down to what the commercials add, preservatives etc as the cause.

Oddly since turning down the craft brew road I've not had the issue and enjoy a better tasting beer and in much lager quantity. I stay in the mid alcohol lager and Pilsner area mainly.

A mate whose a chemist mentioned this issue on sharing a lt or 4 a few months back. He who knows said, he'd put it down to specific hop use with their varying chemical balances.... heavy IPA's APA's Bocks Belgian's etc. More to the point the amount of bittering hops used and their acids.

maybe?
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby jord4231 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 am

That's every one for the replys at least I'm not alone
New method drink my spirits or have a big beer session :))
jord4231

Postby Beer Belly » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 am

jord4231 wrote:That's every one for the replys at least I'm not alone
New method drink my spirits or have a big beer session :))

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Beer Belly

equipment: FSD Equalizer Modular Still
100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements
and some other bits and pieces.

Postby RefluxEd » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:17 pm

I've given up drinking beer or any wine that's under 5-6 years old. They all give me a hangover if I have 2 or more standard drinks. When you think about it, all fermented products will have methanol, acetone, ethyl acetate (and the rest) and all the stuff that's in tails in them. That's why you get a hangover. With the vodka or gin that I make from a TPW, you can be as drunk as a skunk the night before but wake up fine, no headache, no hangover, no nausea. :D
One interesting thing I found when I tried a scotch syrup from the HBS in some vodka, I ended up with a fowl hangover. :puke-huge:
After that I only use botanicals that have had no processing in their production and prefer to use what I grow in the garden where possible. :mrgreen:
I have juniper, 2 types of wormwood, sloe (prunis spinosa, great with gin) and some early heritage plants used for bitterness before hops was discovered.
Keep it simple with no additives and you'll be fine.
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:09 pm

there are a number of hypothesis for this. i will list some things in beer that causes headaches.
beer, wine and champagne have sulphites in which can cause a reaction in some people. typically though it is a systemic skin reaction and not a headache.
preservative- other preservative in beer may contribute to headache
amino acid tryramine in beer and other dark spirits cause there can trigger headaches.
Alcohol itself
cogners- some cogners trigger headaches in people
sugar and artificial sugars- these can trigger headaches in people

it would be my hypothesis that all these factors combine to contribute to the formation of a headache. you could try different beers noting the ingredients and type of beer to try if there are ones that dont give you headaches. could give you something to watch out for.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby jord4231 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Andy wrote:there are a number of hypothesis for this. i will list some things in beer that causes headaches.
beer, wine and champagne have sulphites in which can cause a reaction in some people. typically though it is a systemic skin reaction and not a headache.
preservative- other preservative in beer may contribute to headache
amino acid tryramine in beer and other dark spirits cause there can trigger headaches.
Alcohol itself
cogners- some cogners trigger headaches in people
sugar and artificial sugars- these can trigger headaches in people

it would be my hypothesis that all these factors combine to contribute to the formation of a headache. you could try different beers noting the ingredients and type of beer to try if there are ones that dont give you headaches. could give you something to watch out for.

Thanks for that! I'll get on to it
jord4231

Postby Bushy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:42 am

Let's not forget that you don't do cuts on the alcohol in beer. Little bit of metho and heads might be the problem. My theory anyway.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 am

:text-+1: to what Bushy said
(More so for wine)
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Marbled » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:58 am

I brew my own beer from kits and never get a bad head, whereas I'm getting frightened of drinking more than one beer in the pub because of the headache. There's obviously something in the pub brews that's not in mine. I think the scientific term for it is "s-h-1-t", they are long molecular chains that get stuck in the small blood vessels between the ears........ Or something.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby jomo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:32 am

Marbled wrote:I brew my own beer from kits and never get a bad head, whereas I'm getting frightened of drinking more than one beer in the pub because of the headache. There's obviously something in the pub brews that's not in mine. I think the scientific term for it is "s-h-1-t", they are long molecular chains that get stuck in the small blood vessels between the ears........ Or something.

100% have the same issue with most commercial beers - must be something to do with preservatives used to lengthen the shelf life. Can drink as much homebrew as I like and get no headache, and rarely a hangover the next day!

I've found the same with wine - buying from DM results in hangover from hell, but buying from wineries that use very little sulfates means drink up!
jomo

equipment: None yet

Postby andybear » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 pm

jomo wrote:
Marbled wrote:I brew my own beer from kits and never get a bad head, whereas I'm getting frightened of drinking more than one beer in the pub because of the headache. There's obviously something in the pub brews that's not in mine. I think the scientific term for it is "s-h-1-t", they are long molecular chains that get stuck in the small blood vessels between the ears........ Or something.

100% have the same issue with most commercial beers - must be something to do with preservatives used to lengthen the shelf life. Can drink as much homebrew as I like and get no headache, and rarely a hangover the next day!

I've found the same with wine - buying from DM results in hangover from hell, but buying from wineries that use very little sulfates means drink up!

Totally agree. My dad is a wine maker and never uses the preservative meta bisulphate anymore. The only year it was used he had headaches everyday. Since then,about 15 years he has been fine, he makes about 400 litres every year and drinks every one of them. Keep away from that preservative shit. It's absence does shorten the shelf life, but that issue is easily solved, drink it. :teasing-neener:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Return to Beer & Wine