Beardrinkshomebrew's beer recipes

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Beardrinkshomebrew's beer recipes

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:38 pm

Toddles wrote:
beardrinkshomebrew wrote:strawberry stout, very nice :happy-partydance:

Sorry to bother you enjoying your drink mate however could you give some more details on the Stout? Sounds very nice.

Cheers.

no bother at all

I have a double fermenter (60 litres)

I use 2 cans of Coopers Stout
20 weetbix
2 jars of jam (you don't have to use strawberry, blackberry is nice & raspberry has a real strong flavour, any sort of jam you like you can use)
& some good brand white sugar for secondary fermentation

pour some cold or warm water in the fermenter then the 2 cans
boil some water to rinse out the 2 cans
stir till wort is dissolved, add more hot water if desired
add a jar of jam to a pot with water & place on stove to simmer & stir till it is dissolved, do the same to the other jar & then add to the fermenter
add 20 weetbix (you don't have to crush them, they dissolve like in the WBABW wash)
add water to the 50 litre mark
I like to keep this at a low temperature of around 20 degrees
keep at that temperature for 3 - 4 weeks & then bottle with the white sugar & then keep the bottles warm for a few weeks for the secondary fermentation

then place in a dark spot & forget about it until you feel like a drink in a month or so, the longer left the better up until a year, drink before its a year old.

I like a drink & this I would say is mid strength, so you can enjoy a few of these without getting wasted :)
head retention is nice & creamy :) a very nice drop indeed
enjoy
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Requested for editing.
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Re: What's everyone drinking?

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:19 pm

1st thing, ignore the thing about malt, I got mixed up with my apple cider & black & tan beer which I uses malt & I don't know how to edit my post

the way I clean my fermenter is to put hot water from the tap in until it just reaches over the tap outlet

I then throw in my cloth which I only ever use to clean out the fermenter & nothing else (put lid on); I use a Selleys wash cloth, the fibers from a new cloth will rinse out. when it is time to change the wash cloth, I then use it to wash the dishes & that wash cloth goes into general cleaning

I wait about 15 -20 minutes till the water is warm & not hot to burn you, waiting will lossen the old gunk so it is so easy to wipe off; I go outside & rest it on the verandah at waist height so it is easy on the back

then I go inside into the bath & take off the tap & give the tap & fermenter hole a wipe out with the cloth, then just rinse everything very well & put the tap on & I let it drip dry a bit by hanging it on the shower rim. wash the top with cloth, rinse cloth & put away somewhere to dry until next time

I have never used sanitiser in my life & I have only had 1 bad brew, that is when I changed the fermenter. I used to do constant brews one after another & I only change the fermenter every 18 - 24 months, just to be sure. if you get a slight milky scum on the top of ya brew, get a new fermenter & use the old one for holding spuds, dog feed, roo feed , anything you like

if anyone wants a recipe for making black & tan beer or apple cider; just ask :music-deathmetal:
beardrinkshomebrew

Re: What's everyone drinking?

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:43 pm

wow, the feathers flew last night :teasing-nutkick:

to make 60 bottles of apple cider you need a 60 litre fermenter (I hope you cleaned the fermenter as above)

with the fermenter clean, add 500g of light powered malt to it then pour a pot of hot water on the malt. I keep one pot for when I do brewing as I don't want it to get dirty & then washed in soap as soap will kill the head of your beer; never wash your glass or pot with soap as it will kill your beer. I let water sit in it overnight & just rinse it out in the morning, if it has a film in it, use that wash cloth that you use to clean the fermenter. if the pot gets a scum in it, use a new steal scrubber to clean it

swill the water around in the fermenter until all the malt is dissolved, add more hot water as required

once the malt has dissolved add 1kg of dextrose into the fermenter

then add 2 cans of Black Rock Apple Cider into the fermenter & use very warm to hot water to rinse out those cans

shove in your stirrer & stir away until all is dissolved, add hot water as required

then fill to the 50 litre mark, keeping a watch on the temperature as it should be between 18 - 28 degrees, I like to start it low; when the water level & temperature is right, add the 2 sachels of yeast to the fermenter & stir it in & then pour water on the inside of the lid to get the seal wet then seal down the fermenter for 3 weeks at least. keep an eye on temperatre all the time

when you bottle the apple cider, use good quality white sugar. keep the bottles warm for another 2 - 3 weeks then store in a dark place for at least 2 months then place some in a fridge (you can't just drink one :)) & enjoy :happy-partydance:
beardrinkshomebrew

Re: Beardrinkshomebrew's beer recipes

Postby warramungas » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Strawberry stout sounds, ummm, different. Will give that one a crack though. I take it you fill to 23 liters for a half batch so 46 for 2?
Otherwise its going to be weak beer if you fill to 60.
I'll Chuck in a kg of dextrose per can though as I like my stouts at full strength.
Cheers.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:59 pm

If using 500 grams jam thats 300 grams of sugar so with the kilo of dex going to be a heavy
wynnum1

Postby warramungas » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Well chuck halva in then. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:25 pm

warramungas wrote:Strawberry stout sounds, ummm, different. Will give that one a crack though. I take it you fill to 23 liters for a half batch so 46 for 2?
I'll Chuck in a kg of dextrose per can though as I like my stouts at full strength.
Cheers.

I fill to 50 litres for 60 bottles so for 30 bottles fill to 25 litres I suppose, I prefer to make heaps as when you are drinking them, you would wish you made heaps instead of having to wait a couple of months to drink some more again

if you use dextrose instead of weetbix, it will be strong with the jam added as there is heaps of sugar in jam; also if you use weetbix, you can have it for brekkie :music-deathmetal:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby warramungas » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 am

beardrinkshomebrew wrote:
warramungas wrote:Strawberry stout sounds, ummm, different. Will give that one a crack though. I take it you fill to 23 liters for a half batch so 46 for 2?
Cheers.

I fill to 50 litres for 60 bottles so for 30 bottles fill to 25 litres I suppose, I prefer to make heaps as when you are drinking them, you would wish you made heaps instead of having to wait a couple of months to drink some more again

if you use dextrose instead of weetbix, it will be strong with the jam added as there is heaps of sugar in jam; also if you use weetbix, you can have it for brekkie :music-deathmetal:

You're the chef. I'll do a 25 liter mix to start with @ 20 degrees in the brew fridge. If its really good I can do a double in my hungie fermenter later.
Chuck that in hopefully on Tuesday when I get back from Perth.
'For breakfast'?
I think I already drink enough but I like the cut of your jib lad! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:13 pm

don't forget to report back here in a few months to tell everyone what it tastes like :ymparty:

oh look, the sun is nearly below the yard arm, I better go & have a drink :text-givemebeer:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby warramungas » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Just put on a strawberry ale. Couldn't lay my hands on a stout can.
One can real ale, 1 kg dextrose, 1 jar cottees strawberry jam and 2x weetbix.
I needed to get a brew on and thought id chuck the weetbix in just to give it a try. Will try your stout recipe when I can get my hands on some coopers stout.
We'll see what happens anyway. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby toyoda » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:09 pm

:text-+1:
Just put one on - thanks for the Recipe !

Couldnt get Coopers so used Black Rock Miners Stout and added 0.6 kilo of sugar as I prefer a heavy !

Now the hard part - Waiting - I hate Waiting !!

:D

Toyoda
toyoda

equipment: Home construct

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:35 pm

toyoda wrote::text-+1:

Couldnt get Coopers so used Black Rock Miners Stout and added 0.6 kilo of sugar as I prefer a heavy !

Toyoda

no worries :music-deathmetal:

the waiting is always the hard part, that is why there is a spare room with bottles that are in various states of readyness :happy-partydance: so there is always a drink to be had
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby warramungas » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 pm

beardrinkshomebrew wrote:
toyoda wrote::text-+1:

Toyoda

no worries :music-deathmetal:

the waiting is always the hard part, that is why there is a spare room with bottles that are in various states of readyness :happy-partydance: so there is always a drink to be had

I hear you both. Got 200 longneck bottles in the shed with 120 full and one lot of 30 slowly being drained and filtered through my liver and kidneys.
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 pm

I have 44 bottles of 52% neutral
50 bottles of strawberry stout
60 bottles of blackberry stout
110 bottles of apple cider
all ready to drink :music-deathmetal:
there is also 60 bottles of strawberry stout in the fermenter doing its job :dance:
I just wish my chook guts would settle down so I can drink more than I am ATM :crying-blue:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby toyoda » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 am

I use a Keg system - got fed up of bottling and I can have as little or as much as I like with no wastage,

Just finished off my Keg of American Pale Ale last night and although I have 3 kegs in the fridge I have
been too busy with Washes to get another beer on the go !

But the Strawberry Stout is happily Glugging away :happy-partydance:

Toyoda
toyoda

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 am

I dream of a keg system, but it is a bit rich for this pensioner, also as I live bush, where would I get the gas from?

I got used to doing bottles as it saves room as I used to live in a bus, so I brewed it up the back near my bed, the bubbling at night made me smile

I was going to say put down an apple cider so it will be mature for summer, but after you taste that strawberry stout, you will put down another batch

it might be ready to drink on grand final day :music-deathmetal:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:40 am

You could capture the gas in a big plastic bag and compress .
wynnum1

Postby toyoda » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:56 am

My early kegging system just used a fridge and Soda Syphon Co2 from Coles !

Cider ! My son has a Pear tree and I make Pear Cider ( Perry) from it - thinking about Pear Brandy this time !

:-B

Toyoda
toyoda

Postby sp0rk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:39 pm

beardrinkshomebrew wrote:I dream of a keg system, but it is a bit rich for this pensioner, also as I live bush, where would I get the gas from?

I got used to doing bottles as it saves room as I used to live in a bus, so I brewed it up the back near my bed, the bubbling at night made me smile

I was going to say put down an apple cider so it will be mature for summer, but after you taste that strawberry stout, you will put down another batch

it might be ready to drink on grand final day :music-deathmetal:

If you don't mind your beer a little flat like British real ale, you can store and serve direct from HDPE jerrycans or water storage bags
I have some of the water bags that get hooked up to a little home made beer pump (flipper style faucet from a caravan) and the best thing about them is there's no oxygen contact, meaning I don't have to drink all the beer in 1 session, because the bag just compresses as the beer is drawn out

The other thing you can do is have a disposable CO2 bottle or sodastream bottle hooked up to the lid of an HDPE cube/jerry, JUST putting in enough gas to fill the headspace, not actually above atmospheric pressure
This way you won't have a vaccum in the cube/jerry and you beer won't get oxidised from air being sucked in
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:02 pm

toyoda wrote:My early kegging system just used a fridge and Soda Syphon Co2 from Coles !

Cider ! My son has a Pear tree and I make Pear Cider ( Perry) from it - thinking about Pear Brandy this time !

:-B

Toyoda

I always wanted to try perry

I have 2 pear trees, but they never get to ripe state in this cool place where I live

I would use cans to make it but they are hard to find & when I do they are so expensive

I think I will stay with bottles, I don't mind them, I use an easy washer that I have on my laundry tap all the time :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
beardrinkshomebrew

Next

Return to Beer & Wine