UJSSM Substitute

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

UJSSM Substitute

Postby camcob1 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:02 pm

Hello Aussie Distillers, About to do my first ujssm and was wondering if i could substitute flaked corn for cracked. Knowing that i would have to replace all the corn each time. but still follow the recipe in every other way.
Thanks in advance.
camcob1

equipment: Keg based CM super reflux

Re: UJSSM Substitute

Postby BigRig » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:23 pm

camcob1 wrote:Hello Aussie Distillers, About to do my first ujssm and was wondering if i could substitute flaked corn for cracked. Knowing that i would have to replace all the corn each time. but still follow the recipe in every other way.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome.

Yes you certainly can substitute flaked corn for cracked and vice versa.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby gad » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:04 pm

camcob1 wrote:Hello Aussie Distillers, About to do my first ujssm and was wondering if i could substitute flaked corn for cracked. Knowing that i would have to replace all the corn each time. but still follow the recipe in every other way.
Thanks in advance.

Hi camcob1. Not sure what you mean about replacing all the corn each time, the original corn will do 6 or 7 generations before it's spent, so you should only need the original corn in the recipe for the whole 5 or 6 generations.
Cheers
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby camcob1 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:21 pm

Hi camcob1. Not sure what you mean about replacing all the corn each time, the original corn will do 6 or 7 generations before it's spent, so you should only need the original corn in the recipe for the whole 5 or 6 generations.
Cheers

The last time i used flaked corn it just about disintegrated. That's why i was interested if i could sub out cracked for flaked.
camcob1

equipment: Keg based CM super reflux

Postby bluc » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:51 pm

You will find most use cracked corn. Its price is major reason. Flaked falling to bits is another :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Gerry77 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:05 am

Camcob1 cracked corn is better and you dont need to replace the corn every time you make a mash. I am up to my fourth generation of using the same corn, I just discard the top layer ( the chooks love it) and go again or add a bit more corn ( if not enough from first batch) and continue the process. This is how the big distillers get “ Sour mash” for products like Jim Beam etc, don’t be afraid to add use your already fermented corn and do not wash it as the yeast from your last batch is still alive and will act as a yeast nutrient for your new yeast.. I hope this helps
Gerry77

equipment: Homemade keg still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:00 am

I really should not post first thing before coffee lol. I completely misread the post

Now lets not get into the reasons why I should not post after coffee lol.
Last edited by Wellsy on Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Recipe Development