Rum

These recipes are the go to proven recipes that work!

Rum

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:18 pm

How I make my rum.

For a 25 to 30L wash.

3kg raw sugar
3L stock feed molasses
80gms Lowans bakers yeast
Pinch epsom salts

Pour the molasses into the fermenter and half fill with hot water, give it a real good stir and add the sugar and about 1/4 teaspoon epsom salts.

Top up the fermenter with cool water making sure to leave a decent amount of head space.

Once the temp of the liquid in the fermenter is at 30 degrees C add the yeast and stir it in gently, then just sit the lid on loose do not seal it up yet.

Keep an eye on things for the first couple of hours and gently stir the foam back down into the wash, once the initial foaming settles you can now add the airlock, but keep an eye on it. I've learnt the hard way and had brown sticky shit spray up my wall through the airlock, rum wash's are known to have a pretty violent foam up for the first few hours before they settle down and chug along nicely.

Once your ferment stops working you can pretty much run it straight away, but I find letting it settle for a few days is better, although some people like a little yeasty flavor in their rum.

Run your first lot pretty hard through a pot still and take as much alcohol as you can getting rid of foreshots only, take it down to about 20% ABV this is your stripping run.

Once you've filled your boiler keep the sludge in the fermenter for your next wash, I re use all of it.

Once your done stripping the wash of alcohol you want to keep the dunder (slops from boiler) and add about 10L of this to a big bucket, add molasses and sugar to it and place aside for cooling. Once cooled to about 40C add some water to it then tip it back into the original fermenter on top of the sludge, top up with water and put your lid on. This is the process of doing generations to create a unique flavor, and I usually do 5 generations.

After you've done 4 or 5 of these stripping runs you will have enough low wines (stripped alcohol) to do your spirit run, add this back to your boiler at no more than 40% ABV and fire up your still, discard the first 100ml and start taking heads, it's best to collect in small containers throughout this whole run (a stubby sized bottle is perfect)

Once you've collected down to 20% ABV you'll have a whole heap of alcohol, place a towel over it and let it breath for 24 hours. Now you start taking from the centre jar and work your way out by smell and taste (dont swallow yet, just spit it back out), once your happy with your keep you should have some heads and tails left but dont discard these, you can run them later in your next wash or keep as feints and do feints run.

Let your final product sit on oak at 65% ABV for at least a month, longer is better but it's difficult to leave it at times, when your ready to harvest water down to 40% and bottle.

You now have created a really nice rum :mrgreen:

Cheers.

Please use the Rum discussion thread if you would like to know more about this recipe. It can be found in the Recipe Development section of the Forum or by clicking HERE.
Last edited by The Stig on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Tried & Proven