Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO)

These recipes are the go to proven recipes that work!

Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO)

Postby MacStill » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:23 pm

My fermenters are 30L so I'll just give you quantities for that, and I measure my grains by liters instead of weight. I use 2 fermenters so I get a full 50L charge for each stripping run, and if one futzes up I can use the other to keep generations going.

1st generation.

2L cracked corn
1L wheat
1L barley
3.5 KG sugar
1/4 tea spoon citric acid
1 crushed vitamin B tablet (not really needed but found it to make a more vigorous ferment)

I usually dump the lot into 20L boiling water to soften the grains and invert the sugar, leave it for a couple of hours, stir it up good and dump it in the fermenter then top up to 30L with cold water and add about a quarter cup of yeast.

It should ferment out in 3 or 4 days depending on ambient temps, and I leave it to clear for another 3 or 4 days, I strip it fast and collect everything except fore shots until it hits 20% ABV and dump the lot into my other keg, usually end up with about 8 or 9 liters of low wines from each 50L stripping run.

2nd generation onwards.

Add 10 to 12 liters of the hot slops back into a bucket, tip sugar in and leave it to invert until its cooled and chuck it back on lees from last ferment, top up to 30 Liters and it'll fire up in a couple of hours.

Keep stripping batches until you got the 4th or 5th generation in the spare keg,then do a slow n steady spirit run.

Oh yeh! and I take about a half liter of grains out of the fermenter and add the same amount of fresh grains back each time.

Makes a real good whiskey

Please use the My Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) discussion thread if you would like to know more about this recipe. It can be found in the Recipe Development section of the Forum or by clicking HERE.
Last edited by The Stig on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Tried & Proven