MacWhisky

These recipes are the go to proven recipes that work!

MacWhisky

Postby MacStill » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Here's a pretty simple recipe some members know I've been working on for quite some time, and after aging for 3 months it has turned out so nice it's definitely worth doing if you like to get away from the typical BKO or UJ taste, even if it is a little expensive.

This works fantastic as a single generation, I didnt bother doing follow up gens with backset and this gear tastes awesome pretty much straight from the still watered to drinking ABV, however on oak for a couple of months the sweetness, aroma and flavour is delish!! everyone who's tasted it has gone wow!!

For a 27 litre wash.

4 kg of sugar
1kg Ale or Pilsner malt
1 tin of caramalt liquid extract
20 grams bakers yeast is what I used
Small pinch epsom salts (may not really be required)

So basically just like any other wash you put down you can invert the sugar in boiling water with a tea spoon of citric acid, or not. I just melt the sugar in 10 litres of hot tap water and add to the grain bed, then stir in the LME, top up to 27 litres....

Pitch yeast once fermenter is below 30c

Put lid on and wait.

Once done I run it through a bubbler, if you use a pot still you might want to run very slowly or do the strip & spirit run. I dont pot still so ner!

That's pretty much it, a little more expensive than your typical wash, but oh man is it worth it.

The little we have aged is very closely guarded by Mrs Mac, she gets very edgy when I pull the shot glasses out for for the very lucky few we've shared this with.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mac.

Please use the MacWhisky discussion thread if you would like to know more about this recipe. It can be found in the Recipe Development section of the Forum or by clicking HERE.
Last edited by The Stig on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Tried & Proven