tesing watertightness...

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

tesing watertightness...

Postby Redux » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:56 pm

so im starting to get my season underway and im wondering...

if i assemble my column upside down and fill it with water... should any get out?

it sounds like an odd question but im not sure that my column was sealing 100% last season.... i couldnt find anything untoward using mirrors but there was a slight alcohol smell and my total %alc output per wash was a bit varied..

ideas lads?
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Re: tesing watertightness...

Postby Boardy62 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:33 pm

Redux after my first run I thought I had leaks and I think yourself or someone suggested filling the column with water, I tried that and it did not leak, on my next run I got a small mirror and checked joins it showed up easily a leak on second tee sightglass, so my experience fill with water didn't help,rest assured a slow pass with a mirror will mist up to detect the leak, my last run went well with no problems! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby mudsta » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:34 pm

I just used an air fitting and 5psi to leak test my new boiler build.
Bit of dish soap and water in a spray bottle on all joins...worked a treat!

Safety wise I wouldn't advise using this method if sight glasses are involved, blank caps instead and good to go

:D
mudsta
Site Donor

equipment: 18 Gallon boiler- 2 x 2400W elements, VC, 5 star neutralizer

Postby Boardy62 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:43 pm

mudsta wrote:I just used an air fitting and 5psi to leak test my new boiler build.
Bit of dish soap and water in a spray bottle on all joins...worked a treat!

Safety wise I wouldn't advise using this method if sight glasses are involved, blank caps instead and good to go

:D

Yeah I tried dishwasher in a spray bottle as well with still at temp it did not show anything ( I presume because it was hot and steamed up too quick aside from that cleaning the nice shiny still after it was a bugger ;-)
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby aussiebrewer » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:29 pm

if you can change the angle of the PC then make it as verticle pointing upwards as you can. meaning instead of it turning the vapour down like we see in all those FSD bubbler pics keep it going up. then fill the whole thing from the Pc down and watch for a leak. easy peasy

higher you can get the PC outlet the higher the preasure which is needed. and leave it for a couple of hours to see slow leaks. dont just look over 10 mins. let it sit

as for the mirror. i have built a few now and mirrow failed more than filling with water. you can try wrap paper towel around clamps and watch for moistyre but i still think fill it with water and watch it for a few hours
aussiebrewer

equipment: pot still on a 50l keg

Return to Plated Column Stills