inline thumper on a 4"column

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: inline thumper on a 4"column

Postby BIG D » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Atreu wrote:Hey, just reread my last post, I meant 7 liters @ 65% (once watered down to oaking strength)...

That is golden man. My wife just bought a $250 handbag (with my blessing!) For me to be able to work the thumper into the budget - although, the line: "its a gift for us" did NOT work. Lol.

Have you found any difference to flavour while using it? Better? Worse?

I find with the extra heads and tails compression I can make it piss like a race horse and in turn more flavour is passed over , however if I setup for a neutral run I load the thumper and then just run it slow and the results are equally as pleasing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:16 am

When you run an inline thumper what happens what's in the thumper at the end of the run :?
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby BIG D » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:07 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:When you run an inline thumper what happens what's in the thumper at the end of the run :?

Not a great deal mate just a bit of real low proof tails I only strip to 20% after my last cut.
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Atreu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks heaps for your knowledge, Big D - this thread is THE reason I'm getting one.

:text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue:
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby Atreu » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Big D,

How'd you go with running 4600w (after reflux)? All good?
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

Postby BIG D » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:08 am

Yeah mate all good I reflux at just over 2400w and then I wind up the power to overcome the rc leaving the water at full flow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

Postby tipsy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:12 am

BIG D wrote:Yeah mate all good I reflux at just over 2400w and then I wind up the power to overcome the rc leaving the water at full flow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is that running 'power management'?

Since getting a controller I've often wondered what it would be like to run like this.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Atreu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 am

So how did you know to stop at 4600? What would happen if you went to 4800w?
Atreu

Postby BIG D » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:52 am

tipsy wrote:
BIG D wrote:Yeah mate all good I reflux at just over 2400w and then I wind up the power to overcome the rc leaving the water at full flow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is that running 'power management'?

Since getting a controller I've often wondered what it would be like to run like this.
Sure is give it a try. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

Postby BIG D » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 am

Atreu wrote:So how did you know to stop at 4600? What would happen if you went to 4800w?

The bath depth on the 1st plate starts to get a little high.
BIG D

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Power management works quite well when using the thumper, another thing to consider is because you're not returning distillate to the boiler it will be boiling at close to 100c once all the distillate is held in the thumper ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 pm

It's a slightly crazy idea I know but could you put macerated botanicals in the thumper? Just seems like a good spot for them where they could continue to infuse with the hot spirit but not get burnt by direct heat like they can do when placed straight into the boiler.

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Atreu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:45 pm

BIG D wrote:
Atreu wrote:So how did you know to stop at 4600? What would happen if you went to 4800w?

Hi Big D,
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really trying to understand what you're saying. :oops:

So, increasing the power to much will fill the thumper faster than the distillate can be taken off, therefore it'll drain back to the boiler, slowing things down, yeah?

If that's the case, the idea then, is to fill the thumper to just under the top of the downcomer, and give it just enough power to keep the bath level at the same height, while the takeoff rate increases... Thats the balance we're looking for... Am I on the right track?
Atreu

Postby BIG D » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Atreu wrote:
BIG D wrote:

Hi Big D,
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really trying to understand what you're saying. :oops:

So, increasing the power to much will fill the thumper faster than the distillate can be taken off, therefore it'll drain back to the boiler, slowing things down, yeah?

If that's the case, the idea then, is to fill the thumper to just under the top of the downcomer, and give it just enough power to keep the bath level at the same height, while the takeoff rate increases... Thats the balance we're looking for... Am I on the right track?

Sorry mate I was referring to the first plate above the thumper. :D
BIG D

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:18 pm

I find once i fill my thumper I then power up and take off as quick as i can (overpower the rc, thats on full flow), usually 6-7ltrs hour until my abv drops below say 91% and my thumper level drops then i power down and reflux again, repeat if you don't have enough capacity to get all your alc into the still. I do this until the thumper starts to fog for me usually twice, then you know your pretty much done. This is just my experience with my thumper anyway.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Meatheadinc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:26 pm

Tease :teasing-neener: :teasing-tease: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
2 plate thumper (600x800).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby drinka » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:19 am

Nice one meat! :handgestures-thumbupleft: Any pics of inside cap/riser?
drinka

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2 x 2400 watt FSD weldless elements,
2" s/s pot & 2" s/s CCVM

Postby BIG D » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:13 am

Meatheadinc wrote:Tease :teasing-neener: :teasing-tease: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
2 plate thumper (600x800).jpg

ive been waiting for that. :text-lol: :clap: nice
BIG D

Postby Meatheadinc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:12 am

drinka wrote:Nice one meat! Any pics of inside cap/riser?

thump plate (600x800).jpg

Bottom plate.

Riser 2 1/4" SS
Cap 3" copper on right.
drain is 3/4" with a 1" funnel, j-trap extends up the riser.- drain depth can be changed higher or lower if running 1-2 plates.
3/4" drain at the bottom to be used with triclamp tap.(left)

top plate to completed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby WTDist » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:56 am

woodduck wrote:I find once i fill my thumper I then power up and take off as quick as i can (overpower the rc, thats on full flow), usually 6-7ltrs hour until my abv drops below say 91% and my thumper level drops then i power down and reflux again, repeat if you don't have enough capacity to get all your alc into the still. I do this until the thumper starts to fog for me usually twice, then you know your pretty much done. This is just my experience with my thumper anyway.

Im trying to figure out just what you guys are saying

So have it on an average distilling power, i havent got a rig like yours so im going to do an example like 2.4kW. then have in full reflux until there is only alc in the column including thumper. Then when you want to collect you power it up a few kW and maintain full reflux water flow but the extra power pushes the vapor through? and you power up until you get the 6 or so L/h?
How long do you need to do full reflux for to get the water out and separate the fractions better?
Is this correct and is this a flavored wash or neutral?

The flow rates sound really good for a 4" rig with a thumper
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills