FSD Eliminator setup

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: FSD Eliminator setup

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:35 pm

What could ya see going on in the boiler when this was happening?,was there any foaming up or grunge in ya mesh for wich rum wash and runs are notoriouse for,one of the good things about the boiler sight glass ,is you may be able to see roughly whats comeing from the last plate's downcomer by the amount of liquid returning to the boiler,seeing all your downcomers flowing well meens a happy still for me.The section with the copper mesh I presume has a perferated plate tigged inside ,from my experience flooding of mesh sections happens when the ABV passing thru it changes from fairly high(most of the run) to a low ABV liquid(towards the end of the run) wich does not seem to be able to flow down as easily as the high ABV does,alcohol will flow faster thru mesh than pure water ,so my guess is it happened a little befor the onset of tails when the still is going from being full of high ABV to low ABV,have heard of turning off power for a short time to clear flooding as well.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Would also advise reading thru all of this for homework :)) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6246&p=105302#p105302 wich is also a good spot ta ask rum related issues.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Cheersbigears » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:29 pm

I have one on order too and was wondering if it came with the copper mesh and did it came with the clamp to boiler. Im thinking I may need to order a 4" clamp to the boiler. Any other parts needed other than the water lines.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Comes with a roll of copper mesh ,and your boiler clamp size should have been given by you ,and if thats the case I think you will get all ya need in the way of clamps ,Hayden the other thing I ment ta say was ,when you switch on the second element,donot turn off ya RC even open it a touch and see how that goes.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby jacobraven » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:23 am

Mine sits recess on bottom because my spacer come with a recess so t that seemed logical, I don't have the mesh bottom either although I've got nothing to hold it there either. Also the 100 litre can seems to have a huge headspace like 15 litres and never had a puke problem.
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby hayden89 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 am

hillzabilly wrote:What could ya see going on in the boiler when this was happening?,was there any foaming up or grunge in ya mesh for wich rum wash and runs are notoriouse for,one of the good things about the boiler sight glass ,is you may be able to see roughly whats comeing from the last plate's downcomer by the amount of liquid returning to the boiler,seeing all your downcomers flowing well meens a happy still for me.The section with the copper mesh I presume has a perferated plate tigged inside ,from my experience flooding of mesh sections happens when the ABV passing thru it changes from fairly high(most of the run) to a low ABV liquid(towards the end of the run) wich does not seem to be able to flow down as easily as the high ABV does,alcohol will flow faster thru mesh than pure water ,so my guess is it happened a little befor the onset of tails when the still is going from being full of high ABV to low ABV,have heard of turning off power for a short time to clear flooding as well.cheers hillzabilly

Boiler was rolling as per usual. Liquid level was about half a keg. No foam. Wasn't expecting any foam as I was running a stripped wash and was pretty clean.

Yea mate has the perfect plate tigged in.
I think ya spot in with the abv change theory, the abv dropped from 90ish to about 30 ish in a bout 5 mins! Never seen that before.

Haven't checked the mesh yet however I flushed the column from below the RC and it didn't flood the bottom plate. So didn't seem to be blocked.

Cheers for tr he homework!
I think I'll stick to whiskey, bloody rum is just one big messy process from start to finish and to be honest I'm not even a real fan of rum :laughing-rolling:

Cheers,
Hayden
hayden89

equipment: 2" Reducer Style Boka
Optimus Primus the 4", 5 plate glass bubbler in the making

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:15 pm

After trying all grain mashing,I had to change my opinion about rum being a bit messy and troublesome,never was a rum fan after a bad experience with bundy overproof,but after my first couple of Mac rum "RUNS" I was converted ,it did not have the same smell and taste that used ta make me gag,if you can get ya head around makeing it and running it thru ya still well ,and get some oaking experience ,it will give you a good skill base with your distilling equipment to move onto the much more complicated art of all grain whiskey's,wich also usually require much more equipment and technical ability ,its my opinion that rum is a good way ta get skilled up on distilling ,befor heading straight to the hardest endevour of all grain mash's,wich are the most costly and long winded effort for a fairly small return.Thats the reasons why its sometimes recomended for beginers to try rum first.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby hayden89 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Well it certainly smells pretty good. I had a bit this arvo while making cuts and it definitely has potential to be a really nice product. I watered down 6l to 65% and chucked it in my barrel. Now the wait begins.

I was referring to breakfast cereal whiskeys. My very first wash waso a ngw run twice through the boka and aged in a port barrel. Can't get enough of it!
hayden89

equipment: 2" Reducer Style Boka
Optimus Primus the 4", 5 plate glass bubbler in the making

Postby Cheersbigears » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:33 pm

So it's a good still and easy enough to run. Mine is still about 3 or so weeks away, already have the washes on waiting. A nutrigrain, a weetbix and a rum for my last.
And you ended up putting the 2" extension on the other side before the PC.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:42 pm

All the 2" extension does is change the collection height...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills