Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Thumper... Why bother?

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:57 pm

MacStill wrote:I knew I shoulda kept my mouth shut :laughing-rolling:

Please sir ,it was only three questions
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
MacStill wrote:I knew I shoulda kept my mouth shut :laughing-rolling:

Please sir ,it was only three questions

Try 4 :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
So if not run properly,there could be flooding issues I guess if too much reflux applied.

Do you have a boiler/thumper ratio that works .

Could you drain off excess build up in an undersized inline thumper ?

What typical AVB is in a thumper at the end of a run ?

1. no not really
2. see 1.
3. yes
4. depends on what your feeding it with & how you operate it.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby bt1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:44 am

Howdy,

I reckon a thumper combined with plates is a cool setup. It adds functionality we don't have on platers:
Use wash, molasses, syrups, flavoured extracts for rums, or even dissolved DME/LME for UJSMs is something we can't do on platers and it would add lovely complexity to tastes imho. So there's something here of value for Whisky guys as well and that's a bonus.
Solids like citrus etc as well but these could be done on platers. Actually liquids could be gravity fed into a gin basket at a controlled rate something to think about!
Water in thumper to clean spirit seems common as does playing with low wines and it's impact on tails/hearts during the run.

It also addresses my main concern with pot and thumper in that its not soley responsible for gaining abv to achieve a single run. From reading seems most say it's not = to 2x distillations more like 1.5 so guess that questions answered.

Seems inline thumpers as a parasitic boiler won't over tax the main boiler and require only minimal heat increases to drive. I see some play with insulating to achieve different flavour profiles as well maintaining a higher temp in the thumper...good ideas and experience around this point.

A plain pot with a thumper to achieve single runs/ well not for mine but would love to hear from those that do and some confirmation that it can be achieved in a single run. Which clearly leads into the style of rum preferred I guess. I would expect a pot/thumper product to be heavier possibly smeary?

While we're on this thread how the hell do you bleed of fores and heads from a sealed thumper system?

Yeh and mac that picture whilst nice on the eye does it have an internal vapour return from thumper to off take path?

Just in terms of advancing the art/throwing it out there... I was wanting to use a bit of glasser design so 2 solid plates, glass single segment, 8 1cm dia rods for stiffer construction - only 4 using wing nut lock downs, 4"/100mm or 2"/50mm input then a diffuser, 2", external inclined capped feed to feed in fluids/flavourings, a off take so I can see what's going on... more than happy to hear comment here.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:35 am

:think: so do I see a glass double pumping humper thumper in thee pipe line. Would have a coolness facter of 10 just in looks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Your right Crow,

It's been underway for a week now bloody cold in the shed at the mo but

Got the fake floor hollow spaced plates between sections done, for extended drain tubes back to column copper sleeve below first thumper.

Onto the 2"/50mm inlet to diffuser rails...bloody tight and fiddly only got 115mm to play with.

2/3 mini inline thumper sections reckon and 3/4 plates based around the 89mm diameter sections.

stuck a bit on a venturi mechanism to drag in wash, molasses or syrups in but working it through....might need to simplify and use a pressurised vessel instead

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:07 pm

:sad: i would have suggested you use a 200mm or larger tube, larger plate and have ya book rod just run inside the thump box
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:40 am

MacStill wrote:
Thumper... Why bother?

Why wouldnt you bother ?

THUMP POT 1.jpg

:teasing-neener:

That looks awesome how did it perform is a way old post but thought I would ask :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills