Time To “Just Do It”!

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Time To “Just Do It”!

Postby MacStill » Thu May 23, 2013 8:36 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:And this is why my bank balance hates you!
;-)

Must.have.new.kit.all.the.time!

Look into my eyes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu May 23, 2013 8:39 pm

If Bunnings sales assistants are too thin on the ground.... there's always Masters. :D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Petulance » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 am

Well, I'm getting there.

This is a mockup of the tower (minus the reflux condenser, U bend and product condenser). Doesn't leave much, does it.

Tower.jpg

Tower - 2.jpg

I know the soldering sucks. Leave me alone, I am but a babe in the woods in this field. I wish we could use glue. I'm better with that.

This is one of the plate heads. Again suckish soldering, and some green corrosion creeping in (I'm assured by others that this will self rectify once I get rolling)

Plate.jpg

The centre tube holds 3 blind plates. I might make another one of those soon. First I need to get more ferrules and clamps (my maths deserted me ... forgot that I need 3 of each for each plate T)

The copper work is a bit rough, as I spent 10 hours filing excess solder from them. Each head seems significantly lighter after that.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm ready to run. Just can't wait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Petulance » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:20 am

An afterthought ...

I believed that soldering was my worst skill.

It appears that photography is looming as a real contender...
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 am

I wouldnt worry about soldering ,,, if its sealed and holds then it works :handgestures-thumbupleft: can always dremel/file the sh#tty looking solder anyways :handgestures-thumbupleft: as for the green stuff and left over flux etc ... before you do a cleaning run i recommend a soak... i got a 20L bucket filled it with water and added about a table spoon citric acid , a used scouring pad cleans it right up... i would leave mine in over night ,,, though i didnt have SS ferrules so i dont know how you will go with that one.

So is that 7 plates so far ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Petulance » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:03 am

yep, thus far it's a 7 plater. I'm wondering about another 3 plate section for neutral production, but can't get my head around whether or not there are any benefits to extending the column.

Don't you just love this hobby... so many things to think about... so little money...
Petulance

Postby punchy21 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:13 am

Nice job so far mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Thats great and all but 10 clams says you wont make neutral ,,, be too busy making good rum, scotches and bourbons :laughing-rolling:
Linny

Postby Petulance » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Damn right Linny, but there are folks in my circle of friends (actually, more like a square of friends, perhaps a triangle of friends, or a straight line of friends, or ... ahh ... well ... really I'm just a single point, I guess) who like vodka. No idea why, cause it doesn't taste like anything, in fact it does taste like nothing ... just the burn. Anyway, they've got orders in and I can't think of anyone else who'd let me experiment on them with cuts. Oh, I won't tell them that bit.
Petulance

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:13 pm

I gotta get around to making more neutral... have to make more kahlua and butterscotch ... i ran out before , got a batch down ,,, now i have no more neutral
Linny

Postby Dominator » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:45 am

Any updates mate? After reading the creative journal on the build, I cant wait to hear your account of the first run and the product that comes out.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Petulance » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Currently "enjoying" a hiatus ... waiting for more bits to turn up. I've decided to cut down my reflux condenser (19 tubes x 100 mm to 19 tubes by 50 mm). I've also been cleaning up my work. Bugger, I've wasted some solder. Me and the bastard file are best mates now. Hopefully, my keg might turn up soon. I've been wondering, though, if I wouldn;t be better off getting a boiler made. Max keg size is 80 litres, a 500mm x 500mm x 500mm SS cube would give me 125 litres, plus flat sides. Dunno ... still thinking about that.

Updates as soon as something happens...
Petulance

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Petulance wrote:Me and the bastard file are best mates now.

That's no way to talk about your best mate :laughing-rolling:

Jesus Petulance,after hearing about the self abuse incurred while still building ,I hate to hear how you "popped your guts" :))
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Petulance » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm also making my insulation wraps ... 4 layers of blanket for each module.

If I thought I was crappiest as a driller, beater and solderer of copper, I was sadly mistaken.

My skills as a seamstress are woeful ... can't cut in a straight line, can't measure for trying, think I've caught tetanus from the sewing machine needle and may need a blood transfusion before long. And that's from just one module. This still will be the death of me. If not, then the product is bound to be.
Petulance

Postby Petulance » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:23 pm

hiatus = pause/wait

An hiatus hernia will come later ... when I try to lift my frigging still column onto the boiler ... or pick it up when the whole shebang topples over ... what did I ever do with my time before stillin' came along?
Petulance

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Wheres that son 'n law when you need him.

Re: the sewing. ....Mate....Can 100% relate .... I have the worst case of Fabric Phobia ...when yummymummy want to be a total bitch and have a laugh ,she makes me do things like hang a fitted sheet on the clothes line or worse ...change a dona . :angry-banghead:
You are a brave lad . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Petulance » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Well, I'm almost done. Ran my vinegar wash and sacrificial alcohol wash through. Only a couple of minor leaks which I've mostly fixed.

Sight glasses leak a little, so I'm going to cut some cork gasket for them later.

Just ran my first TPW through the still. With very savage cuts, I managed to get 2 litres of 87% neutral from a 40 litre wash which, I suspect, hadn't completely finished fermenting. Patience is not my virtue.

Controlling two 10 amp 2400 watt elements without a controller is not easy. I did try to build my own two controllers. They both went "pop" when I turned them on. This is why I'm not an electrician.

If anyone knows where I can source just one 10 amp controller I would be eternally grateful.

Anyway, here are a few shots of my rig.

IMG_8190.JPG

IMG_8191.JPG

IMG_8192.JPG

I KNOW ... that it seems to lean a bit. That's not, unfortunately, an optical illusion. I might fix it up some time.
I KNOW ... that it needs a good polish up. I might fix that done before I get the insulation on it.
I KNOW ... it's been a long time coming. It sucks that life gets in the way of a good distillation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petulance

Postby Bushy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey Petulance, None of that stuff matters mate. Cos you've GOT A BUBBLER :dance:
Well bloody done :clap:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Time To “Just Do It”!

Postby Dominator » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Awesome to see you go it done mate. Now you need to build yourself a parrot to help you run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Looking good mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just about to do a vinegar run today

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap