FSD Eliminator setup

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

FSD Eliminator setup

Postby hayden89 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Gday guys,

Just need a little advice regarding the setup of a FSD Eliminator.

This is my current setup below. I have plates in the locations indicated by the arrows. I have the "plate groove" on the bottom side of each tee, it seems to me that the groove should be on the top of the tee but this is the only way i could get it all to work.

This setup doesnt allow me any room for the mesh in the mesh caddy, which as youll see in the next pic seems too big.

I havent tried to squash it into the caddy yet because this wont leave any room for the downcomber on the bottom plate.

Its probably something simple but im buggered if i can figure it out :angry-banghead:

cheers,
hayden
hayden89

equipment: 2" Reducer Style Boka
Optimus Primus the 4", 5 plate glass bubbler in the making

Re: FSD Eliminator setup

Postby warramungas » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:51 am

I'm only guessing here mate but should the caddy go higher up like above the top rc and below the 4x2 reducer? That way you're only using the copper on what you're collecting and the reducer allows space for the mesh? Not trying to treat the whole kit and caboodle with the mesh.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby rumsponge » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:40 am

does the caddy or the 2"-4" bottom reducer have a groove for a plate ? I have a neutralizer and my boiler connection (4" pipe, looks similar to your caddy) has an additional groove. I have a feeling the setup would be easier with the plate groove on top of the tee...
but overall, your setup looks like how its supposed to look like:
http://www.5stardistilling.net/4-eliminator/
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby rumpirate » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:20 am

I'm in the process of ordering one of these at the moment and when talking to Sue she said the mesh helped alleviate the build up of gunk on the bottom plate so I'm pretty certain you're on the right track from looking at the picture. I can't help with your problem though I'm keen to find out myself.
rumpirate

equipment: 50L milk can + 2 x 2400w elements, FSD 4" Eliminator, 200L Keezer with 4 taps.

Postby Boardy62 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:44 am

That looks Loire it is right ( copper placed before the start of the plates must be new technique )
Copper comes in set width rol you might have to trim it to fit and red roll it up all look good
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby hayden89 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:04 am

Warramungas what you suggest sounds like a pretty good solution however I was also told by Sue that the mesh caddy sits at the bottom . Neither the 4x2 reducer or either side of the mesh caddy have a groove for a plate to seat.

Rumsponge the setup would most definitely be easier with the plate groove on the top of the tee.

I'm kinda thinking I need that extra 4" "boiler connection" piece with the groove. This will allow the extra room for the copper mesh in the bottom and also give clearance for the first downcomber.
hayden89

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:05 pm

I have folded copper mesh length ways,and then rolled it up ,will give you half the height,with out cutting it up to much,and the stuff is a bit like a jumper when you cut it ,gets messy and starts comeing undone.I would not put the 2inch extension above ya 4inch to 2inch reducer after the RC,I belive its for the PC side ,as thats the only place I have seen it used on other similar set ups,or is that ta suit the collection (bar) shelf allready there.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:19 pm

And a short roll could be put or massaged into the 4inch side of the reducer below the gin caddy as well if ya wanted to get it all in.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby coffe addict » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Here's an idea.. Call FSD at a reasonable hour. They have the information you need and Have a vested interest financially.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:04 pm

Pretty sure hillzabilly has just said exactly what Mac will mate. Billy has been playing with FSD gear for as long as anyone, his advice is sound :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby hayden89 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:42 am

hillzabilly wrote:I have folded copper mesh length ways,and then rolled it up ,will give you half the height,with out cutting it up to much,and the stuff is a bit like a jumper when you cut it ,gets messy and starts comeing undone.I would not put the 2inch extension above ya 4inch to 2inch reducer after the RC,I belive its for the PC side ,as thats the only place I have seen it used on other similar set ups,or is that ta suit the collection (bar) shelf allready there.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Cheers mate, didn't really like the idea of unrolling it looks nice and neat at the moment and I doubt it'll look like that after I'm done but think that's a good idea. If it ends up half the height that should leave just enough room for the downcomber.

That 2inch extension seemed to be a bonus piece, didn't see it in the example on the FSD page. So I've just put it in that position to suit the bar height. Is there any reason it couldn't go in that position?

coffe addict wrote:Here's an idea.. Call FSD at a reasonable hour. They have the information you need and Have a vested interest financially.

Yea mate I've emailed Sue but they are in the process of relocating the store so I've turned to the forum in the mean time because I'm impatient and want to run the rig this weekend.

Also still none the wiser about the orientation of the tees and the plate groove. My grooves are currently on the lower side of the tee. Is this common practice?

Cheers
Hayden
hayden89

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:33 pm

G-day Hayden,on my bro's set up (he has the tee's with the plate recess) it was recomended to orientate the recess on the top side,one or two of the plates needed a small amount of work with a fine file ta sit in them well(laser cutting can leave a few dags and rough edges wich will stop them fitting well into the recess's)without being forced,wich could otherwise leed ta leaks ,with the plate recess we use standard silicone or EPDM seals ,were there is no recess (like your bottom plate)you will need ta use a "special" plate seal ,wich is like a standard one with the inside edge removed up to the ridge.Hope that helps as ya must be champing at the bit to get a run done ,are ya useing gas or electric.Theoreticaly I donot see an issue with the 2inch extension that way,I just had not seen it set up like that and made a presumption there must be a reason or two, but the chief may have a different opinion as he knows his product better than anyone.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby hayden89 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Cheers for your help hillzabilly, I have unwound the copper which actually was in 2 lengths, folded it and rolled it up again. The longer of the lengths was a perfect fit in the caddy, height and width and also left enough room for the downcomber.

I'm I'm currently doing a sacrificial tpw run and everything seems to be sealed except my cooling lines they need a bit more tef tape I think but it's only a minor weep. I ended up using the tees with the plate groove on the bottom with standard edpm seals throughout. I also had to give my plates a bit of a linish to get them to fit.

I have 2 x 2400w elements in the boiler just run them off separate power circuits during heat up then pull the plug on one element and run one element. This worked through my boka stage and I see is recommended also to run bubblers this way.

Cheers,
Hayden
hayden89

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:33 am

As long as the plates are seated in the recess properly I donot see why haveing them that way would cause a problem ,in actual fact it negates the need to get another section with a recess below the last plate or have a seperate seal ta suit,good thinkin hayden,your onto it,if you are stripping you could try both elements throughout the run and with normal runs ,switch the second element back on once your second window gets foggy with tails ,this saves time at the end of a run as it pushes the tails out much quicker when no real seperation is required .happy stillin.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby hayden89 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Well the sacrificial tpw run went well pretty consistent 94% output. Cheers for the tip about the elements i will put that into practice today. Im currently running about 40l of rum from a 150l wash that i previously stripped with my boka. Im hoping the bubbler won't remove too much flavour certainly has plenty of rum smell. Single runs from now on though happy days.
It amazing how such fine adjustments of the RC can alter the output.
hayden89

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Comeing from a background of only makeing neutral,my first few runs thru the bubbler were probably a fair bit slower than I should have done,as all my instincts were saying go slow as thats what all my experience with neutral had taught me ,so if ya want max flavour donot be afraid to open her up a wee bit and try collecting at about 90-92%ABV for the rum and whiskey mode.Some also use fewer plates for more flavour carry over,wich may be a personal taste ,thats were the modula system shines for me ,you can set it up and run it ta suit your own personnel needs,so donot be afraid ta try a few combos and let ya taste buds tell you what works for you. cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby hayden89 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Just finished running the rum. I collected 15 dolmio jars at 92% give or take a %. I noticed the abv drop a few points and then started getting a cloudy output. The bottom plate didnt fog as i had read it actually flooded.

Anyways the tails were coming through so i plugged the second element in closed the rc and only collected one jar of cloudy shit and probably 40% dunno what it is actually pretty much was the output between 85% down to 30%.

And word on what was going on with the bottom plate.

Cheers,
Hayden
hayden89

Postby bayshine » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:10 pm

I'd say you might have over powered it,did you have the mesh in below it ? :think:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby hayden89 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:41 pm

bayshine wrote:I'd say you might have over powered it,did you have the mesh in below it ? :think:

Was only on 1 / 2400w element when i noticed it. Yep had the mesh below.

Is it possible that as the wash level dropped in the boiler it boiled harder, so possibly over powered?
hayden89

Postby bayshine » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:14 pm

I'd say that the rum mank would have built up In the mesh and with vapour going up it could have restricted liquid going back to the boiler
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills