s/s build from nz

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

s/s build from nz

Postby tuf20 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

hi all 1st post ill make it quick few pics off the still when 1st made and till now
wiring over bored

all together at work yes work lucky me
new im changing it up a bit making it a bit bling
tester
new water lines
bracing and almost done
tuf20

equipment: reflux still

Re: s/s build from nz

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Epic first post welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft: love your work :mrgreen: what are the runs of pipe out of your carter head for?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Wow, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby tuf20 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:59 pm

bluc wrote:Epic first post welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft: love your work :mrgreen: what are the runs of pipe out of your carter head for?

drain to stop smearing and so i change it on the fly if i need more flavor eg put back in to full reflex and then aid more flavor
tuf20

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Very nice rig you built there :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby scythe » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:26 am

If i could see the photos I'm sure i would be suitably impressed (photobucket's DNS unreachable or something)

Edit:
Nope there they are, nice job.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:16 am

showoff :teasing-tease:
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby Teddysad » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:35 am

Having seen this build in person I can assure you all that it even better than in the pics.

He has done brilliant job.

Ted ^:)^
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby tuf20 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:21 pm

well ill be running it eily this week hears hoping ill have the last fittings tomorrow and flow meters on and running
tuf20

Postby tuf20 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:25 pm

well couple off welds to finish and im running

tuf20

Postby tuf20 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:47 pm

new set up clean run with some hi fores all going good
tuf20

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Hey dude ,just lookin at your downcomers and they donot have cups fitted to the bottom ends,not sure how they are gonna work like that,and from ya vid it does not seem to maintain the bath depth properly and each plate looked flooded ta me.And a spacer above ya thumper may help as well.cheers hillzabilly :think:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby tuf20 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:56 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Hey dude ,just lookin at your downcomers and they donot have cups fitted to the bottom ends,not sure how they are gonna work like that,and from ya vid it does not seem to maintain the bath depth properly and each plate looked flooded ta me.And a spacer above ya thumper may help as well.cheers hillzabilly :think:

yes it was flooded because i was changing the wrong meter it was in full reflex :laughing-rolling: and had on full power also it was a cleaning run so didnt worry about it i did turn it down and run like it should
tuf20

Postby tuf20 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:15 pm

this is how it did run before now one more plate and 700mm more packing same plated tree design
tuf20

Postby tuf20 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:12 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Hey dude ,just lookin at your downcomers and they donot have cups fitted to the bottom ends,not sure how they are gonna work like that,and from ya vid it does not seem to maintain the bath depth properly and each plate looked flooded ta me.And a spacer above ya thumper may help as well.cheers hillzabilly :think:

whats the theory on the spacer above the thumber cheers
tuf20

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:35 pm

A little extra space helps reduce entrainment,or blow thru ,like the plate sections if they are too short the vapour will carry more liquid thru than it should ,wich is more of a problem with too much power imput,as you found out,and I cannot see how your dowmcomers will work well without caps on them,cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:57 pm

hillzabilly wrote:A little extra space helps reduce entrainment,or blow thru ,like the plate sections if they are too short the vapour will carry more liquid thru than it should ,wich is more of a problem with too much power imput,as you found out,and I cannot see how your dowmcomers will work well without caps on them,cheers hillzabilly

I reckon the idea is that the liquid bath on the plate below is what creates the lock or cap. Seen it on some builds a while ago, not sure how they performed though :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby InglisHill » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Sam. wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:A little extra space helps reduce entrainment,or blow thru ,like the plate sections if they are too short the vapour will carry more liquid thru than it should ,wich is more of a problem with too much power imput,as you found out,and I cannot see how your dowmcomers will work well without caps on them,cheers hillzabilly

I reckon the idea is that the liquid bath on the plate below is what creates the lock or cap. Seen it on some builds a while ago, not sure how they performed though :-B

That is exactly right. Yes it will work with that config.
InglisHill

equipment: Pot, Reflux......

Return to Plated Column Stills