COPPER1979 BUILD

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

COPPER1979 BUILD

Postby copper1979 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:38 am

I have recently taken up Tig welding/brazing so thought I'd begin building some new bits and pieces. I've been reading for about a year so think I have enough info to get underway.

Plan so far:
A 30L keg inline thumper that I can possibly use as a small gin still. It will fit on top of my 65L milk can or my 50L keg boilers. Triclamp sight glass that I can also remove to use as a fill port. 1" inlet nearing the bottom of the keg with slots. I'm holding off fitting a boiler return line but will do if needed. I'll likely fit two sightglasses, 1 at the bubble level and the other near the top to know if I get anywhere near overfilling. I've angle grinded the top rim to help give better access for welding/brazing , but also reducing some weight. I actually prefer the look now that I've done it. Left the handles on for obvious reasons.

I managed to score some 4" copper offcuts at various lengths 110 up to 180mm. Perfect for some modules! There were 4 at 145mm so thought they would be my perforated plates.

Perf plates are 175 odd holes at 2mm which gave me 7%. I'm using 3/4" downcomers with a 1" cup underneath (yet to be purchased once restrictions ease). I've set the bath height at 15mm but thought I'd have some extensions to give me 20mm and perhaps 25mm. Guess I'd need to run a lot of times to find what I prefer, but at the moment I'll go with the minimum of depths that I've read others have used and work from there with extensions. Each module will have 4" tri clamp ferrules so I can mix and match as required. I've made 3 plates as that would be all I'd likely need and have room for.

I'm building an inline mini thumper also. It will have a bath depth of maybe 150mm and perhaps a lower one of 25mm? Both will have valved return lines (3/4") with a trap to prevent bypass. I've been a big fan of Larry's build on home distiller so he's my inspiration with my thumpers.

Each module will also have a 2" sightglass that will be brazed onto 2" copper that's notched to fit against the 4" module and soldered on. So far I've made 2 out of about 5. I used a 4" holesaw to cut through some 2" copper. Unfortunately it won't get through the entire diameter, so I have to flip the pipe to finish the cut. Its got me close enough for me to finish my hand by rubbing up and down some 4" with sandpaper wrapped around it. Not the most fun job cause it takes ages but it does work!

Welding wise I haven't been doing it for long, and have been teaching myself. Had a couple of disasters but perhaps just turning the corner in doing something that's OK. I've been using more and more silicon bronze to braze with. Big advantage is a lower temp so less warping and yeah its becoming my go to. I have done some filler-less fusion welds that have been ok in some instances, so a couple of tricks as a starting point.

I've run out of argon so will be good when I can carry on with this build as shops begin to open next week!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copper1979

equipment: 70L Pot Still, 50L 4" Gin Still, 4" Flute Build underway

Re: COPPER1979 BUILD

Postby Birdman85 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 am

I don't know how to TIG, but in my research trip down the rabbit hole I saw a video where a guy recommended copper TIG with 100% helium. If that's a cheaper option for ya.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby copper1979 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks Birdman, I'll have a look into that.
copper1979

equipment: 70L Pot Still, 50L 4" Gin Still, 4" Flute Build underway

Postby scythe » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:00 pm

I'll save you the searching, helium is not cheaper than argon.
And really it is not required.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Plated Column Stills