Bruukta's Big one

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Bruukta's Big one

Postby B-Man » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Hey guys not much progress. Got a few questions.

I have rolled up my 4-2" and 2-1/2" cones on works anvil with a rubber mallet and worked a treat. Planning to tig them so still need to buy a tig.

Snapchat-1694910578.jpg

I need to make my 6-4" reducer but to make that do I need to flatten out my pipe then re roll it or can I just taper up some of the 6" pipe I have by cutting 4 slits in it?
Or some other way? Im open to ideas.

Got an old aircon unit as a water recirculator. Looks the goods. Hopefully it works well. 2x 3 speed fans. Got a header tank and looking at chucking a 15L storage tank inside the unit. Thinking it should be good for 40-50L of water storage. How well it cools will be trial and error.

20200903_163842_copy_2016x4147.jpg

No progress on the boiler either. Got a A and D type keg. Was hoping to get a better non damaged D type as they are shorter and fatter but might have to run with the slightly damaged one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby B-Man » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:49 pm

So after a long break and still no time to do it i dropped everything and put in a good days worth of work.

Bought the tig welder about 2 months ago but unboxing it was as far as I had got.

I done 1 test run on another project that I wasnt fussed what it looked like. Sort of felt like using an oxy IMO. Was happy with what I had learnt on my first test run so got straight into it.
20201228_195622_copy_1024x2106.jpg

Added some extensions to the sight glass fill port and 6" column ferrule so I could shape them to fit.
20201228_204434_copy_1024x2106.jpg

20201227_202539_copy_1024x2106.jpg

Had an issue welding the cone onto my PC. Tigging it just brought out the solder. So I decided to solder the end on. Soldering that on I think has caused the solder to reflow and cause a leak on 1 of the shotty pipes :angry-banghead:

Finished off my 4-2" reducer
20201229_114550_copy_1024x2106.jpg

Made and finished my 6-4" reducer. I ended up cutting 6 wedges out and bent it in.
20201227_125845_copy_1024x2106.jpg

20201227_202604_copy_1024x2106.jpg

20201229_202716_copy_1024x2106.jpg

I just winged it for tigging copper. Thankfully it was pretty easy as I had quite alot to do welding this reducer up.
I hoped it was going to have a hexagonal look with flat sides to it but its not how I envisioned. Unsure if this was a better way or not.. I didnt really have anything to shape it on if I made it like the other 2 cones.
I managed to tig copper to stainless aswell so pretty happy. Ended up just winging that too.

Just got a few welds on the keg boiler to go now.
Have 2 element threads to weld on. The column ferrule and fill port/sight glass.

Havent got the right stuff for drain pipe and legs so they might be done later on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B-Man

Postby B-Man » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:01 pm

Didnt realise i hadnt posted the A/C setup either

Tried using it how it was but the flow was too restricted so I cut all the small pipe off, made another manifold and soldered it all on.
Pressure tested it to 30psi for 24 hours. Seemed to hold ok after 200 billion resolders. Dont know why but I had quite a few issues with the solder sticking. I cleaned and refluxed about 5 times ln one piece before i finally didnt get a leak

20201021_182234_copy_1024x2107.jpg

Plumbed up a 20L plastic drum inside for extra water capacity.

Tidied up the wiring and got a few switches on order then just need to wire them up.
Tested it with a light switch and fans work.
Hopefully it cools the water down.
20201021_182230_copy_1024x2107.jpg

Doesnt look like I got many photos of this will grab some more when im in the shed next.
Last edited by B-Man on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Man

Postby B-Man » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:50 pm

Finally finished and done a run.
Its all temp at the moment.

Had 2 pin hole leaks in my tig but sorted them no worries
Basically temp fixed all my water fittings with what i had. Once its where I want ill tidy it up with decent pipe.

I bought the 65w magnetic pump but my 25w one works fine so didnt need the bigger one :roll:

Also anyone else have issues with the 3600w element plug getting quite warm to touch at the 15a power point.

20210101_140632_copy_1024x2107_1.jpg

Now just learn how to run it.

Heres the A/C finished off. Just waiting for another switch. I could run them together but might aswell have the option of 9 configurations instead of 3.
Just running the top fan on 2 keeps water temps pretty stable guessing from the product output temps.

20210101_140740_copy_1024x2107.jpg

20210101_140642_copy_1024x2107.jpg

This is what I cut out of the A/C and replaced with the new manifold
20201230_170932_copy_1024x2107.jpg

Few little tweaks here and there but its operational.
Need to add legs, drain port, element cover and some water temp sensors. Maybe make a parrot too.
B-Man

Postby RC Al » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:14 pm

Well done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It occurs to me that your cooing rig there would double as an awesome water cooling setup for a tig torch
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:25 pm

B-Man wrote:Finally finished and done a run.

Also anyone else have issues with the 3600w element plug getting quite warm to touch at the 15a power point.

Hey B-Man. Just throwing this out there. I'm a bit concerned about your electrical connections in that pic. Not sure the silver tape is a good idea. Especially in your other thread you mentioned running 6,000W! :scared-eek:

It looks like from the pic you've paralleled both elements into a 15A cable into a 15A power point. Mate, that's asking for trouble. A 15A power point is rated for a max of 3,600W. Meaning you'll just get away with running one 3,600W element. If you run both the 3,600W and the 2,400W elements from the same power point you've got a disaster waiting to happen. :angry-extinguishflame:

If I was in your shoes I'd be running separate power cables from the elements into separate power points and a also a power controller on the 3,600W element. Would hate to hear you'd burnt the joint down. :scared-eek:
Last edited by Tesla101 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:46 pm

:text-+1: on the safety concerns for the cabling of those elements.

You should definitely be running separate cables from different circuits if you want to avoid disaster - I'm not surprised your plug is getting hot.

You should look at getting some proper sealed element guards too, that tape is not going to keep any spilled liquids off the electrical connections or protect the connections from damage or breakage due to stress on the wires.

Sorry if this sounds a bit heavy handed but safety is paramount; all electrical cabling should be done by a qualified sparky or checked by one at the very least. Please see this post for the details on the forum's stance on DIY electrics: https://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:28 pm

is that blue drum your resovoir so holds ambient with a 20l res? :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby B-Man » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:36 pm

RC Al wrote:Well done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It occurs to me that your cooing rig there would double as an awesome water cooling setup for a tig torch

haha should be able to cool it pretty well don't/wont really do much tigging

Tesla101 wrote:
B-Man wrote:Finally finished and done a run.

Hey B-Man. Just throwing this out there. I'm a bit concerned about your electrical connections in that pic. Not sure the silver tape is a good idea. Especially in your other thread you mentioned running 6,000W! :scared-eek:

It looks like from the pic you've paralleled both elements into a 15A cable into a 15A power point. Mate, that's asking for trouble. A 15A power point is rated for a max of 3,600W. Meaning you'll just get away with running one 3,600W element. If you run both the 3,600W and the 2,400W elements from the same power point you've got a disaster waiting to happen. :angry-extinguishflame:

If I was in your shoes I'd be running separate power cables from the elements into separate power points and a also a power controller on the 3,600W element. Would hate to hear you'd burnt the joint down. :scared-eek:

the electrical tape is there to cover/stop anything touching the elements. I will have an element cover made up just doing a run and making sure everything works (yes not the best and will definitely be protected a lot better . there was a pin hole leak in the element socket so if I had covered it I wouldn't have found it.

On the elements I can assure you its 2 separate cables to 2 separate power points on 2 separate circuits. ( just looked at teh photo and can see why you thought that. Very bad photo angle) The breaker would trip if it was pulling more than 3600w especially 6000W!!! :scared-eek:

I have a controller for the 2400W element if I need to use it.

Professor Green wrote::text-+1: on the safety concerns for the cabling of those elements.

You should definitely be running separate cables from different circuits if you want to avoid disaster - I'm not surprised your plug is getting hot.

You should look at getting some proper sealed element guards too, that tape is not going to keep any spilled liquids off the electrical connections or protect the connections from damage or breakage due to stress on the wires.

Sorry if this sounds a bit heavy handed but safety is paramount; all electrical cabling should be done by a qualified sparky or checked by one at the very least. Please see this post for the details on the forum's stance on DIY electrics: https://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397.

think I answered most of it above. I have an electrician mate who done the wiring and once i have made the cover has no issues. he didn't like the tape but as it was temporary he was ok with it. I will be having the element guard with sockets made up so I can just plug the extension cord straight into it.

bluc wrote:is that blue drum your resovoir so holds ambient with a 20l res? :think:

Yeah the blue drum holds about 20/25L after it has run through the A/C and been cooled. The rest of the A/C holds about 10L and the Header tank holds 8L so its about 40L of water in the cooling loop. Need to get some temp gauges so I can see the in and out temps and see if it can hold the temp or it keeps climbing.
Last edited by B-Man on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B-Man

Postby B-Man » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:15 pm

How does one go about cleaning the bubbler after a run?
B-Man

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:54 pm

With reflux from the next run :laughing-rolling:

I used to flush with water but decided i dont like the water sitting there between runs so now I just leave as is till next run.
If switching spirit types I flush with water right before run.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby B-Man » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:49 am

:laughing-rolling:
I like the sound of that.
Agree on the not wanting water laying in it.
My glass has a slight brown stain and when I rinsed the bubbler the water was also slightly brown not sure what the scum is. Maybe som residue from the vinegar cleaning run?
B-Man

Postby B-Man » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 pm

So for my Feints Run I ran a packed section 550mm with 28 scrubber expecting to get a neutral but ended up getting 93% that still had a brandy taste.

what do I need to do to fix this?
increase Bath depth?
Add more plates?
More Packed section?

also running my pump to recirculate it cant hold back 3600w
Don't know if this is a silly idea or not but could I make another RC the same and have a tap to either go out of one into the other or bypass it. So I can have the fastish 45 second response on the RC control changes using just one but then turn the other one on if I need it to sit in reflux. or do I just make a longer one and chuck the other one aside.
B-Man

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:50 am

Just water down the run and do a triple distil if your after a true neutral, I found when only doing one run with my 4 plates and a 500mm packed section doing TPW a slight taste was still present so I have stripped 60 litres and waiting now for another ferment to finish. I'll see after the run spirit run if there is any taste and if so I'll be doing a hearts by hearts run just to get a true neutral as I mainly do macerations and I want the best base product to use.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RC Al » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Do you know how hot your cooling water is getting?

Or it wont hold 3600w straight up at the start?

Is the water into your recirc pump fed from the bottom of the radiator? that multipass condenser design would be much hotter at the top than bottom, adding the big reservoir you had back in might help too

A second Rc isnt a terrible idea, consider a coil for the second one, much easier to solder and -much- faster response time

4 plates in a glasser and a 550 packed section is about 9-10 theoretical plates, without setting an extremely slow output rate you cant reflux enough to get up to the 15-20 required for "true" neutral. Add some more height

And yes deeper baths will help
Last edited by RC Al on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby B-Man » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:44 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:Just water down the run and do a triple distil if your after a true neutral, I found when only doing one run with my 4 plates and a 500mm packed section doing TPW a slight taste was still present so I have stripped 60 litres and waiting now for another ferment to finish. I'll see after the run spirit run if there is any taste and if so I'll be doing a hearts by hearts run just to get a true neutral as I mainly do macerations and I want the best base product to use.

Cheers Bryan

Was hoping the bubbler stopped me having to do a stripping run first.
Might crank out the t500 to vodka anything up for now.
See what else I can work out. Im only pulling 93%. If I could get it up to 95% it should help take the flavour out.

RC Al wrote:Do you know how hot your cooling water is getting?

Or it wont hold 3600w straight up at the start?

Is the water into your recirc pump fed from the bottom of the radiator? that multipass condenser design would be much hotter at the top than bottom, adding the big reservoir you had back in might help too

A second Rc isnt a terrible idea, consider a coil for the second one, much easier to solder and -much- faster response time

4 plates in a glasser and a 550 packed section is about 9-10 theoretical plates, without setting an extremely slow output rate you cant reflux enough to get up to the 15-20 required for "true" neutral. Add some more height

And yes deeper baths will help

It just can't hold 3600w to start with, holds 2400w fine.
Its only a 25w pump and I have a 65w pump so will get the fittings to put that in and try it.

Water in the recirc has 7 condenser sections. In at the tops out at the bottom. Probably alot of air locked in there. Probably need to create 2 bleed valves.

Dont know actual water temp yet. Still gotta suss some temp sensors that will work but feeling the pipe out of the pump it doesnt feel any hotter than it does when it starts after the 8 hour run.

Is there and threads on here about coil designs?
B-Man

Postby scythe » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 pm

Plumb your water in from the bottom of the condenser.
The way you have it not going to actually fill the condenser with water if it keeps draining out the bottom.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:50 pm

Scythe have you built that bloody bubbler yet!!?? :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby B-Man » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:04 am

scythe wrote:Plumb your water in from the bottom of the condenser.
The way you have it not going to actually fill the condenser with water if it keeps draining out the bottom.

I bled it backwards just the way the plumbing runs it leaves alot of places for air to get trapped.
Havent got an air bubble or any noises after the first run so it must be half ok.

Does anyone know of any fittings like a hose fitting I can screw to 15mm bsp so my lines can be unplugged?
Prefferably with some sort of stop valve like the hose fittings?
B-Man

Postby RC Al » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Coolant counter flow to the vapour is worth a many watts of knockdown, its not just the air thing
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills