Neutraliser - MacWhisky

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Neutraliser - MacWhisky

Postby hgwells » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:15 am

Hi All,

Have a couple of fermenters going using Mac’s Whiskey recipe.

Any suggestions on the best way to configure and run my FSD Neutraliser to maintain the maximum flavour?

Would love to know how people have run it in the past and what results they got.

Cheers

HG
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Re: Neutraliser - MacWhisky

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 am

4 plates and no packed section is the norm :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby hgwells » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Thanks Stig,

Assume when you state remove packing that I still leave the 500mm section and RC in place? (Just remove the copper)
Once hot have it in full reflux for a period to equalise, remove the fore’s and then run in pot mode?
Or do I run like for a neutral in reflux with four plates, take cuts until the ABV drops a couple of points and then in pot mode down to 20%?

Cheers

HG
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Nathan02 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm

I have macwhisky here that I ran through 3 plates that I'm really not very fond of and think will take a long time to come any good. Try 4 plates to clean it up a bit
Last edited by Nathan02 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby hgwells » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Nathan02 wrote:I have macwhisky here that I ran through 3 plates that I'm really not very fond of and think will take a long time to come any good. Try 4 plates to clean it up a bit
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby The Stig » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:03 am

hgwells wrote:Thanks Stig,

Assume when you state remove packing that I still leave the 500mm section and RC in place? (Just remove the copper)
Once hot have it in full reflux for a period to equalise, remove the fore’s and then run in pot mode?
Or do I run like for a neutral in reflux with four plates, take cuts until the ABV drops a couple of points and then in pot mode down to 20%?

Cheers

HG

HG, no you dont want to run in full pot mode, you still need some reflux happening.
Having said that, once into your tails you will shut off the RC and run in full pot mode to collect down to 20% or so for the faints jar.
And you remove the entire packed section, Im sure just removing the packing would do the same job and save you from completely re-configuring the entire still.
Have a read, then re-read of this viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2681
Following that is how I started running my plated still all those years ago and now I have come up with my own run strategy and Im sure you will do the same with time and experience under your belt.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby hgwells » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig wrote:
hgwells wrote:Thanks Stig,

Cheers

HG

HG, no you dont want to run in full pot mode, you still need some reflux happening.
Having said that, once into your tails you will shut off the RC and run in full pot mode to collect down to 20% or so for the faints jar.
And you remove the entire packed section, Im sure just removing the packing would do the same job and save you from completely re-configuring the entire still.
Have a read, then re-read of this viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2681
Following that is how I started running my plated still all those years ago and now I have come up with my own run strategy and Im sure you will do the same with time and experience under your belt.
Cheers
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Return to Plated Column Stills