Plate still operation

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Plate still operation

Postby Dude » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:14 am

Found this on youtube and thought it was interesting. I am not trying to "diss" this guy for trying but am curious as to why the bottom two plates are not "loading"
its all a learning curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krOfBe3 ... el=H20JNKY
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Re: Plate still operation

Postby scythe » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:07 pm

After a quick look at the video and now watching the while thing, maybe he needs to throw more power at it to get more reflux happening so it loads all the plates.
Mainly thinking this as plated still load from the top down
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm

scythe wrote:After a quick look at the video and now watching the while thing, maybe he needs to throw more power at it to get more reflux happening so it loads all the plates.
Mainly thinking this as plated still load from the top down

Yep from my understanding and experience the plates do load from the top down, now when I used my 3 ring crab burner my lower plate would never load up and when i made that copper BD burner man did it make a difference as now all four plates fully load including when I'm taking product off. Heatup times are also reduced by half but at the expense of using more gas. Out of a 8.5kg gas bottle I got that steam run done to clean my still and a full spirit run and I reckon with whats left will heatup another run but will run out soon after. Owell with the better performance it's a trade off I can live with. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Could be s leak to atmosphere or inside around plate :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby BSC_Kilby » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 am

It could also be too much heat. Too much positive pressure at the bottom and the plates won't drain condensate back down, making it run almost like a longer lyne arm rather than a fractionating column.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Return to Plated Column Stills