How do "generations" work using a bubbler?

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

How do "generations" work using a bubbler?

Postby Jedstar » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Guys I understand the process of making generations of washes using a pot still, but I am wondering if the process is any different using a bubbler given there is only one run. Do you just add the drub to the next wash and then keeping the hearts from each run add to a single container until the desired volume is collected? Or is there some other technique I need to follow? Or are generations not a thing with bubblers the recipe I am wanting to run the Bourbon knock off. Cheers
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Re: How do "generations" work using a bubbler?

Postby bluc » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Thats the way I do it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:14 pm

Single runs keep trub yeast and maybe add some backset each new gen. Blend all the hearts. Ph can be an issue unless you take out and add enough fresh grain each gen..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Yep same here, as the first ferment is a sweet mash each generation is kept in a separate 5 litre demi, well as I do make enough to fill a 5 litre demi to 65% each run or more. Then add the backset to make it a sour mash and I also add a couple of oyster shells as a PH buffer and they do work a treat, After I'm finished doing the generations I just put the oyster shells in a pan of water and bring it to the boil then they go out in the sun for a few days to dry out and be ready for the next batch.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Jedstar » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:40 am

Thank you guys appreciated, as always this forum is a treasure trove of experience and assistance. Cheers :text-thankyoublue:
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Return to Plated Column Stills