My perforated column build....

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Postby Rumdrinker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:23 am

Hi TJM,
Any progress on your build mate?
Great work so far, builds like yours are inspiring to soon to be first time builders like myself.
Looking forward to seeing it in action.
Cheers
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Re: My perforated column build....

Postby TJM » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey Rum cheers for the interest. Progress has been slow but got a little done.
plate tree is finished, product condenser all done and attatched to the bends all leak tested.
My problem lies with the reflux condenser leaking still, all the copper tubes to copper plate is fine
its just the SS ferrules to copper pipe leaking, strange beacause iv never had trouble brazing SS
ferrules to copper pipe. So next on the list is:

fix leaks on reflux condenser
fit ferrules for sightglasses
build parrots beak
condenser plumbing

PS in dont clean anything until its finished..
020.JPG

019.JPG

018.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TJM

Postby Rumdrinker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 am

Sounds like you have it just about nailed, top stuff. The shot gun condensers look great & are sure to be under no stress doing the job.
I'm looking forward to making a start on mine, just need a few more bits & pieces & a bit more understanding of the build/design concept.
What are you going to power yours on, gas or electric? I'm thinking twin 3.6kw elements with variable control but the hp gas is good too.
Cheers
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Re: My perforated column build....

Postby TJM » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:15 am

At the moment im just running a 3 ring camping burner, but i have a 2.2kw element to install at some point. The 3 ring with a full 80 L takes forever to heat up not bad with 40L. Twin 3.6kw would nail it hey. Hope your shed/house wiring can handle something like that wow. For the record i probably wouldnt use that many tubes in the reflux condenser, id go bigger tubes and less of.
TJM

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills