Plate disabling systems

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Plate disabling systems

Postby crow » Wed May 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi I've spend many hrs trying to understand these stills but am having trouble getting my head around exactly how the plate disabling system works and thinking I might not be the only one can anyone explain in layman's terms the pro's and con's and how the work
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Plate disabling systems

Postby lickermaker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 am

By my understanding, it's an external pipe or shut off valve that allows vapor to bypass one or more plates in your setup.
lickermaker

equipment: pot still w/ copper column

Postby R-sole » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:00 am

They can also work by adjustable downcomers as in the www.5stardistilling.com.au bubblers and the Gonzoloution.

Just adjust the down comer so the plate is free running.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:26 am

You can compress heads with 5 plates then disable 2 plates for the hearts cut, this will give you a very wide hearts cut with very bold flavor :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby LWTCS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:40 am

McStill wrote:You can compress heads with 5 plates then disable 2 plates for the hearts cut, this will give you a very wide hearts cut with very bold flavor :handgestures-thumbupleft:

+1
Plus if you clog up cuz yer running a dirty charge,, you can by pass and not have to shut down due to pressure build up.
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Return to Plated Column Stills