Help me decide stainless bubble tees or glass bubbler sectio

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Help me decide stainless bubble tees or glass bubbler sectio

Postby kingy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:03 pm

The time has come to put some plate sections on my still.
I've ruled out copper I'm leaning towards stainless as I have a stainless addiction. But the glass would be really cool to watch.
I'm worried about the glass getting scratched and worn and having to replace the glass and full breakdown and cleaning them and getting them back together with no leaks as a problem. However I have no experience with them so it's probably easier than I think. How often should they be fully dismantled or is just a rinse out with water after each run of a recipe sufficient.
Stainless seems more durable easy to clean but harder to see what's going on.
I'm after some feedback on what you guys and girls run and if your happy with what you have or do you wish you went another way.
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Re: Help me decide stainless bubble tees or glass bubbler se

Postby kingy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:22 pm

Photos of your still would be good to !!
Last edited by kingy on Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:51 pm

Definitely glass
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:55 pm

Middle sections are a little foggy as I have just turned the still on.
You do not need to break down the sections and to clean if you want to you stick your hand inside at the triclamp junction.
All your bubble plates will be copper so it is only the outside that is different and after 12 months I have never had to pull the individual sections apart and first run in full refluxkills all germs and cleans things a treat. It is only the copper bubble plates that look less shiney..
What ever you decide go with the five star product for the long term quality that will last.
Good luck mate as either way you cannot really go wrong. I definitely like to be able to see what Is going on and how well loaded each plate is.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby kingy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:33 pm

I'm starting to like the glass sections as the tees are making me a little clostrophobic. I do like to sit around my still as I do a fire and have a couple beers etc.
I like your photo to wellsy, it puts things into perspective.
kingy

Postby BigRig » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:45 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I like the look of the glass tees but bought stainless for durability and the Stainless is sexy.

I bought the mac 4 ssg
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby kingy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:21 pm

Thanks big rig, durability is a big one for me as well, I don't know if I'd like to be fiddling with the glass columns if I had a leak etc. Can be a bit rougher with stainless when assembling and pulling apart etc . Such a hard decision
kingy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:21 pm

After 12 months I have only ever had a leak in one section when the nuts loosened off. All the heating up and cooling down made 1 lot come loose and leak. Has only happened to 1 of the 4 sections and was quickly sorted with no major difficulties mate. Apart from that there is no need to pull the glass sections apart.
As has been said you really can’t go wrong which ever you decide.
Wellsy

Return to Plated Column Stills