design advice

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

design advice

Postby tickle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:42 am

Hi guys,
Looking for some design advice on my 4" bubble cap build. I run mostly ujssm type of product; my questions are:
How many plates? I was planning on 3 but see mostly 4's in pics. I can do 4 if it is better....
Spacing between plates? I'm figguring 9" or som
Lastly, how to attach the caps? I see bolts through them, but attached to what?

Thanks for your time
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Re: design advice

Postby emptyglass » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 pm

3 should do for whiskey, but if you make it with 4, you can always remove a plate later if you want. You can go up to 5 or 6 plates with the drinks your making, but you can end up stripping the flavor out with too many.
9" might be a bit much, just from a materials point of veiw. Keep it "over square", that is no less than 4" space on a 4" column. 9" might be a good thing, I havn't seen one built with that much space between plates.
Caps attach all different ways, the ones you see with the bolts are not the only way to do it.

All the best with the new project.
emptyglass

Postby tickle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:40 am

Thanks for the help, I've decided to go with four plates, change the spacing to 6 inches, and build a 2" weir. Any guidance in multiple j tubes vs traditional downcommers? The j tubes would allow for more flexibility and adjustability, and might be easier me me to make up. Still sorting out attaching the caps, leaning toward Swede's method, or just soft soldering them in place.
tickle

Postby emptyglass » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:49 pm

If you are sure of your distance between plates, then traditional downcomers can work out a bit cheaper, and the work quite well.
If you think that you may change your plate spacing at a later date, then probably better to go with J's.
Could be easier to decide on your plate spacing and do it once, right.
Are you going to use off the shelf caps, or make your own?
emptyglass

Postby tickle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35 pm

I'll be making the caps, as i already have some. I like the idea of the place bieng adjustable, but in truth, probably will never adjust anyway...was more or less to make sure they ended up in a good viewing location throught the sightglasses. i've noticed some are using cap style downcommers, but leaving them elevated, kinda like a j tube ( I think 5Star's rig is like this). i just like the idea of leaving the space on the place for another bubble cap, unless there is a disadvantage. I have aquired just about everything i need to start the build, just need the time...should have a few hours a week availible after this weekend. EG, thanks for the help. i have found you and many others on site to be be very knowledable and generous with time and experience. looking forward to getting this thing started!
:text-thankyoublue:
tickle

Postby emptyglass » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 pm

I guess my point tickle is that a still always does a better job on the product its made to produce.
Plated columns come about as close as you will get to a two trick pony, but they still benifit from being designed around the primary drink they are to make.
If you base the number of plates and the distance on the type of product, it will make that product very well. You won't want to alter things like that once its made, even though you can. For your windows, you need them at the top of the downcomers, plus a bit if you want. For adjustable dc's, set windows at max. height. As for the caps, it dosnt matter, whatever floats your boat. Just need to get your heights right.
emptyglass

Postby tickle » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 am

great, thanks. going to have a crack at making it modular via triclamps and making a series of easy flanges; fel in love with the www.5stardistilling.com.au design. dephlem is almost dome, any suggestions for the condenser? i have pleny of 2" and 11/2" copper, running gas in the summer, electric in the winter; i'd rather overdo it and use lower flowrates. a meter (listen to me, i'm using metric!!) or so of 11/2"? shotgun stuffed with ike 5 tubes of 1/2"? i have options, looking for best practice...
tickle

Return to Plated Column Stills